Windows 9

amanshotme

TD Member
I'm really looking forward to W9 just for the sole fact that they realize 8 has failed. I will keep my eye out for the W9 dev.

Bad excuse! :slap:

JK.

If you look hard enough, you're bound to find someone selling keys by exploiting MS's business/education program thingy. /r/softwareswap used to sell Windows keys really cheap. I think I last saw Win7 PRO keys for ten bucks, but they recently cracked down on the whole thing. I believe if you PM a mod, they may still help you.

Got me a spare laptop I can pop this Win9 dev version in. I think I am gonna do iiiiit ...now

Tick Tock Man

Senior TF2 Admin
Staff member
It's more than a reskin, there are big differences in both remote access functionality (handy for service techs) and depth of configuration options for the group security policies - not to mention a great many small cosmetic and ease-of-use addons...

The difference in much akin to buying the basic version of a car vs one with all the features and a bigger engine - sure you can buy the crappy version and manually update everything, but unless you really have nothing else to do there are better uses of your time...

Glocky

Drinking your tears
M$ did this to convince people to shell out for 7, instead of just another free SP to Vista (much like the Dodge Neon being relabeled the Dodge 2.0 because of all the problems):

1. Windows Vista<
2. Windows Vist<
3. Windows Vis<
4. Windows Vi<
5. Windows V<
6. Windows <

7. Windows 7

Seven steps... Windows 7.

Jokes aside, 7 is what Vista should have been at release instead of after 2 or 3 SPs, yes but compare a SP'd Vista and a first edition 7 ... not so different. This is from a guy who ran Vista for 5 years with zero problems, and Windows 7 on 3 other machines. Just buy whatever SP1 or later edition is out there so some other Joe Public has done the beta testing M$ didn't do.

I've been using Windows 8 since launch and have no problems with it. It is faster than Windows 7. Also, if you download a third party start menu it's just like normal windows we are all used to, and you can set Windows to automatically boot in Desktop mode... not the gay metro UI.

MS was derpy as fuck for getting rid of the classic start menu. Such a Brains move.
Brains got hired by MS? Should totally 'hook us up' with 9 keys.

Honestly, I have no idea where Microsoft is heading to now. 8/8.1 just screams of a downhill direction.

To be honest windows 8 is not that bad if you just need a computer to get by, its not terrible at all in fact. It takes some getting used too but its not terribly complicated. I'll admit sometimes my computer likes to be "special" but most of the time it works great. Feelings toward the layout is just meh thats it.

Sir X:

TF2 Staff | UberLag
In my book, windows 8 is the devil reincarnated into the computer world, I couldn't stand working with it at my voc school. 7 is where its at. As for Windows 9 I just hope it isnt a re-modified version of windows 8.

AAA

A Little Darkly
Still on 7 and loving it. How long has 8 been out now? Feels like they're pushing OS versions out more than they should.

Win 8 was out in 2012.
They usually push out a OS every 2.5 years on average. it was only XP to Vista that took long.
its arguable, since some people want more and more features every year, hence why MS is no longer release features in service packs but rather push features out through MS update.

Wrath

DARKLY Middleman
Win 8 was out in 2012.
They usually push out a OS every 2.5 years on average. it was only XP to Vista that took long.
its arguable, since some people want more and more features every year, hence why MS is no longer release features in service packs but rather push features out through MS update.
Ah, that does make sense. Still, kinda loved the XP length. Was hoping 7 would get a similar treatment but nope.

It almost seems like they're going the way of Firefox, where updates are whole revisions of numbers instead of huge patches or overhauls. I remember when it went steady from 10s. Then it just went 20s and I know the release dates aren't that far apart.

MetalLobster

TD Admin
Still on 7 and loving it. How long has 8 been out now? Feels like they're pushing OS versions out more than they should.

It's been just under 2 years since 8 has been out and your with the majority here. A lot of people are more than happy to stick it out with 7 for more than 2 years. People have stuck with XP until MS stopped supporting it.

Win 8 was out in 2012.

Microsoft pushes out a new OS every two years because they collaborate with hardware vendors to sell more laptops, desktop computers and other related stuff. Have you noticed that with every new version of Windows, the hardware specifications needed to run it rises? That is not a coincidence. An entity focused on innovation would be more in line of Linux (ubuntu and red hat), where they release a new version almost every year, yet each version can still run on ancient hardware.

Tick Tock Man

Senior TF2 Admin
Staff member
People have stuck with XP until MS stopped supporting it.

About half the clients I work with still are running XP, and most will not change until they HAVE too....support or no from MS.

I suspect the same will be true for 7 - a fair number of companies build process flow around a working model, and are unwilling to disrupt production or incur substantial cost to "repair" a working system, no matter how often MS puts out an updated OS.....

I find this approach to be sensible - it's that whole "If it ain't broken...." routine. To be sure - I see this most often in a manufacturing setting, where a computer has been integrated into the actual manufacturing process (CNC for example) or where a complex system of reporting and accountability are in place using legacy hardware - sure you can update hard and software, but there are considerable costs involved in redesigning the process flow, retraining workers - and the concordant loss of productivity and decline in manufacturing output while the system is installed, configured, and troubleshooting in addition to training personnel makes it a major investment....

I find the same dynamic to be true when it comes to upgrading software, particularly the MS Office suite and drafting software like AutoCAD - I have a client reluctantly making the upgrade from Office '03 to '07 - to a person the office staff bitched and complained because they didn't like the transition from text-driven menus to Tabs...I have been teaching classes in '07 versions of Excel and Access to a group that doesn't want to learn it...lol. The engineers are worse though, running a 2000 version of AutoCAD Lite - when their systems were upgraded (to 7) and the version they were comfortable with was no longer an option (the 2000 version won't run on 7) - 3 quit rather than learn a newer version.

Moral of the story, people are often stupidly resistant to change, and these legacy OS systems aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Last edited:

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
I find the same dynamic to be true when it comes to upgrading software, particularly the MS Office suite and drafting software like AutoCAD - I have a client reluctantly making the upgrade from Office '03 to '07 - to a person the office staff bitched and complained because they didn't like the transition from text-driven menus to Tabs...I have been teaching classes in '07 versions of Excel and Access to a group that doesn't want to learn it...lol. The engineers are worse though, running a 2000 version of AutoCAD Lite - when their systems were upgraded (to 7) and the version they were comfortable with was no longer an option (the 2000 version won't run on 7) - 3 quit rather than learn a newer version.

lol you'd think the engineers would be smart enough to just virtualize their preferred OS/version lol

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
lol you'd think the engineers would be smart enough to just virtualize their preferred OS/version lol
Virtualization of graphical design programs is way too laggy (from experience). Even just panning and zooming is choppy as fuck, not to mention there really doesn't exist a server that has [i say this with caution because I just know there's some $100,000 server that does have] the amount of workstation-grade double/triple floating point graphical precision and power to run such programs.

On that note, any company that runs a managed environment (this should be the vast majority) will have to upgrade simply because things like software architecture, integration, development support and updates (and thus security) rely on new shit.