Windows 9

Tick Tock Man

Senior TF2 Admin
Staff member
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/2/6096207/windows-9-microsoft-china-teaser

So two things seem apparent from this - MS has come to grips with the fact that Win8/8.1 is a dismal failure (surprise surprise), and as a related point - they finally understand that an OS designed for touchscreen cannot and will not suffice for desktop systems. (The sheer number of people who still run XP should be an indicator to even the least observant analyst that the standard GUI is still preferred by a large portion of their customer base)

Ms has come out with the Surface, a Tablet/laptop hybrid (which doesn't do either job particularly well) - but at least for this format a touchscreen OS at least makes a little more sense - but I wouldn't count on MS being done dramatically misunderestimating (Thanks for that word GWB) their customer base....

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
There doesn't seem to be a lot of factual information from that link, however I fully agree with the points you've made. I've made the argument that Windows 8 is useless to desktop users from day 1 and heavily protest it's use in that environment. For tablets, sure, any touch-screen UI will do for watching useless videos on the shitter - but, everyone's already got Apple products for that. Just like their smartphones, they're much too late.

I'm not sure what Windows 9 will bring, however I suspect the support deadlines for Windows 7 will dictate when Microsoft will release a real desktop version of Windows - much the same as the XP deadline is impacting the corporate worlds to make the move to Windows 7 today (my company is suffering through this transition now).

As a home user, though, I couldn't care less. I'm extremely happy with Windows 7 and until Microsoft get serious and introduce a real desktop OS I won't even bother keeping up. Until then, I giggle at the dying big-box stores who completely transformed their inventory under Microsoft's pressure and are now heavily paying for it.

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
Get 7 Ultimate - millions of copies with cracks/keys available. I've had this installation since the Christmas before it was released to retail. It's solid as hell.
Yeah, I've been thinking about doing this. I actually can't update my video card drivers at the moment because AMD stopped releasing drivers that support Vista. How far off do you think 9 is from being released?

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Yeah, I've been thinking about doing this. I actually can't update my video card drivers at the moment because AMD stopped releasing drivers that support Vista. How far off do you think 9 is from being released?
At least a year, in my opinion. This depends on whether they're going to continue incorporating tablet bullshit into the desktop environment (hence, Tick Tock's topic and link). If they continue to release garbage OS's like 8, then it may be under a year. If they get serious and realize people cannot have tablet UI's on desktops, I see another year until they release it.

Tick Tock Man

Senior TF2 Admin
Staff member

It appears as though it scheduled to be unveiled at the end of Sept, though when you may actually get your hands on a copy remains to be seen....
Get 7 Ultimate - millions of copies with cracks/keys available.

Don't you know that this hurts the owners of the software - Bill Gates probably can't buy that solid gold-handled toilet brush for his 8th yacht because of you....

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
At least a year, in my opinion. This depends on whether they're going to continue incorporating tablet bullshit into the desktop environment (hence, Tick Tock's topic and link). If they continue to release garbage OS's like 8, then it may be under a year. If they get serious and realize people cannot have tablet UI's on desktops, I see another year until they release it.

I've been using Windows 8 since launch and have no problems with it. It is faster than Windows 7. Also, if you download a third party start menu it's just like normal windows we are all used to, and you can set Windows to automatically boot in Desktop mode... not the gay metro UI.

MS was derpy as fuck for getting rid of the classic start menu. Such a Brains move.

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
You'd think they'd learn. It seems like they release a POS operating system every other iteration.

Tick Tock Man

Senior TF2 Admin
Staff member
I've been using Windows 8 since launch and have no problems with it. It is faster than Windows 7. Also, if you download a third party start menu it's just like normal windows we are all used to, and you can set Windows to automatically boot in Desktop mode... not the gay metro UI.

MS was derpy as fuck for getting rid of the classic start menu. Such a Brains move.

That third party program (or at least the one I use in dealing with client complaints about Win8) is called Classic Shell.

It appears from the previews put out by MS concerning the release of Win9/Win8.1Pro/Threshold (It's been referred to by all three titles, though Threshold seems to be the likely eventual name) that they got the point from the horrendous feedback about Win8.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Don't you know that this hurts the owners of the software - Bill Gates probably can't buy that solid gold-handled toilet brush for his 8th yacht because of you....

:yaoming:

You'd think they'd learn. It seems like they release a POS operating system every other iteration.
That's the observation the world has been making for years, and it reminds me of 'tick-tock' release cycle that Intel seems to operate on:

windows-pattern.jpg

ticktock.png

amanshotme

TD Member
Having done mostly gaming and common tasks, I don't see Windows 8 as the abysmal failure many people think it is. Ever since the 8.1 update, I didn't have to deal with Metro UI except as a quicklauncher which it does quite well. I also appreciate the use of hybrid sleep for super quick bootups (5-7 secs yayyyy!)

Just started to do some light programming on it (simple flask based web app development) and haven't run into glaring problems so far, though Rails doesn't seem to want to be installed on here lol (hence the move to flask/python). I would still do any serious stuff on Linux anyway. Don't know if any .NET and C# guys develop on Win8.

I believe I read somewhere that Win9 full release is set for April 2015 and tech beta is coming out very soon if not already. Personally I don't see the need for another OS (damn those release cycles are getting shorter) but I will gladly see what's going on. Good thing I will get a free copy through my university when it comes out lol

Tick Tock Man

Senior TF2 Admin
Staff member
I believe I read somewhere that Win9 full release is set for April 2015 and tech beta is coming out very soon if not already. Personally I don't see the need for another OS (damn those release cycles are getting shorter) but I will gladly see what's going on. Good thing I will get a free copy through my university when it comes out lol

Developer version is already released, Win9 Enterprise - and the anticipated release is looking like ass-end of December/early Jan...(Link)

While I don't have a problem using Win8 either - it's one of those things that begs the question "Why put up with this bullshit if I don't have too?" -I mean sure you can make it work, but why deal with the unnecessary nonsense for marginal at best speed gains? Also worth noting that advanced users will of course be better able to work around habitual MS stupidity (Some of us even make a living at it) - but for your average user, which constitutes about 95% of users - changing to a less than intuitive interface is a major problem.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Win8 - it's one of those things that begs the question "Why put up with this bullshit if I don't have too?" -I mean sure you can make it work, but why deal with the unnecessary nonsense for marginal at best speed gains? Also worth noting that advanced users will of course be better able to work around habitual MS stupidity (Some of us even make a living at it) - but for your average user, which constitutes about 95% of users - changing to a less than intuitive interface is a major problem.
This. Well said, I fully agree.

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
LOL

Initially, I didn't move on to 7 because I was broke at the time, but after the last service pack was released I was able to deal with Vista anyway. I also saw that 8 was on the horizon. IIRC, I started reading stuff about 8 in 2010. I obviously ended up not going with either 7 or 8, and here I am today. Sigh...

Last edited:

Glocky

Drinking your tears
All the lolz in here for people loving Win7 and hating Vista....... Win7 is a reskin of Vista with a few updates and Service Packs.
Now the launch of Vista and communication that all your previous drivers will derp your PC and the whole 32/64 bit OS smozzle... that's sucked.
But realistically, Win7 is Vista SP3. Vista drivers work on Win7 and vice-versa with only a few exceptions.

Also, Win8.1 boosting FPS compared to other Windows OSs makes it a failure? Pft. I had Classic Shell inside of minutes, and now you don't even need it.

Morale of the story, if you're going to buy any M$ OS, wait for SP1. At work, they don't touch any Windows until SP2 lol... but there's only 40,000 devices running it or so.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Everyone knows it's a reskinned vista, but the point is it works and looks better. Vista was, and is, service packs and all, shit.

7 has worked out of box. As for 8, I don't need fps, you should know, you own a 780ti as well :)

MetalLobster

TD Admin
I'm really looking forward to W9 just for the sole fact that they realize 8 has failed. I will keep my eye out for the W9 dev.

LOL

Initially, I didn't move on to 7 because I was broke at the time, but after the last service pack was released I was able to deal with Vista anyway. I also saw that 8 was on the horizon. IIRC, I started reading stuff about 8 in 2010. I obviously ended up not going with either 7 or 8, and here I am today. Sigh...

Bad excuse! :slap:

JK.

If you look hard enough, you're bound to find someone selling keys by exploiting MS's business/education program thingy. /r/softwareswap used to sell Windows keys really cheap. I think I last saw Win7 PRO keys for ten bucks, but they recently cracked down on the whole thing. I believe if you PM a mod, they may still help you.