[SOLVED] CPU Temperature help

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Clearly air cooling is superior...
ari.jpg

Also clearly, I have no idea how to actually help. Sorry dude, the other contributors have already offered what I would.

For reference - at desktop:
CoreTemp-Scr.png

Last edited:

MetalLobster

TD Admin
Yikes, 60C in BIOS.

Do you have another cooler that you can use? Like others have said, looks like a problem with the H55.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
I don't have another one currently, but I could maybe invest in a new one if these tests/approaches don't pan out.

Any recommendations? What specs should I provide to give you a better idea of what to recommend?

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Good points from Gatherix and 47. To me, it sounds like no water is moving... But that's just a guess. Buy any cooler to test. Pain in the ass, but will likely be the fix.

MetalLobster

TD Admin
H212 is easily the best cooler in terms of Value/Performance, but to spend 30 bucks just to potentially RMA your H55 kinda sucks.

Note, keep the stock cooler.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
On the other hand, if someone told me I had to spend $30 to keep my computer running while the part is being replaced, I'd spend it lol

Thanatos

TD Member
For the 3000 series Ivy Bridge water cooling is about the only means of even attempting to OC, there is no air cooling that can get up to RPM before the CPU down throttles due to the shitty way they built the chip

TurboTaco

TD Admin
For the 3000 series Ivy Bridge water cooling is about the only means of even attempting to OC, there is no air cooling that can get up to RPM before the CPU down throttles due to the shitty way they built the chip

Hence why i say most applications. For the average pc user who games but doesnt oc, after market air cooling will be cheaper, easier to maintain & upgrade, and do what liquid cooling does: cool your shit. Plus for the avg gamer who never tried to oc before or with limited experience, air cooling mods to the case, cpu and gpu are far more simple while getting good temp reduction gains.

A true pc oc enthusiast wouldnt bother getting a 3k series ivy bridge unless they didnt do their research, have money to blow, or have money to blow and want a headache and challenge.

Otherwise they would know what components n hardware works best with liquid cooling and build a rig appropriately.

Anyway, as per thread. Buy cpu heatsink n fan, see if it solves heating issue. If u had stock cpu fan you could at least find out without forking $25-40 whether or not its your liquid cooling n pump or something more fucked up with your components

Thanatos

TD Member
A true pc oc enthusiast wouldnt bother getting a 3k series ivy bridge unless they didnt do their research, have money to blow, or have money to blow and want a headache and challenge.

Or like myself were subject to shitty timing and the 920 was obsolete by then and the 4000 series didn't exist while I was building the computer. I have an i5 3570K water cooled with an H100i and a GTX 670 in a Coolermaster HAF case with negative air pressure fans running like a wet dream. I OC'd it because I could to make sure it worked, but since I have yet to find anything that even remotely comes close to pushing my limit I put it back to stock speeds.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Was taking some measurements before I decided to order anything and with the eye test, the CM Evo looks like it would hit the large fan on the side panel. I plugged the case, CPU and cooler into PCPartPicker and didn't get any flags for incompatibility, but I'm not entirely sure it accounts for dimensions as well.

The case is 8.7in wide, which would fit a 6.3in cooler and the 1.5in fan, but I'm still not convinced. If they don't fit together, would it be bad to take the side fan out? I wouldn't melt anything, right?
UxC8Tx5.jpg

TurboTaco

TD Admin
The tower definitely looks a little tight with that 120mm fan by your CPU blowing air out the back. My HSF is huge, but the 2 fans can be arranged to the sides and not clip the top or rear fans I have installed.

Is your case a full size tower or mid? If Mid, you might need to find a smaller HSF or find another rear case fan that is thinner to give you some more room

Most HSF makers do take into account the size n dimensions of cases and should work, but better safe than sorry. Measure twice, cut once.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
If it hits the back fan, just move the fan to the outside of the case, that's how I run it. You never look at the back anyways :)

As for the side, you won't melt shit, but the side fan does help bring in lots of cool air. That said, unless you've got a huge and hot gpu, the side fan isn't doing anything for you.