[SOLVED] CPU Temperature help

Hinouchi

TD Admin
why don't you try the intel stock cooler to see if the temp still the same, if it's the same than I'm assume it's the chip it self or mb fucking up somehow.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
The tower definitely looks a little tight with that 120mm fan by your CPU blowing air out the back. My HSF is huge, but the 2 fans can be arranged to the sides and not clip the top or rear fans I have installed.

Is your case a full size tower or mid? If Mid, you might need to find a smaller HSF or find another rear case fan that is thinner to give you some more room

Most HSF makers do take into account the size n dimensions of cases and should work, but better safe than sorry. Measure twice, cut once.
That fan in the back is bulkier because that's the radiator(I think) of the Corsair cooler. And it's a Full-size tower.
If it hits the back fan, just move the fan to the outside of the case, that's how I run it. You never look at the back anyways :)

As for the side, you won't melt shit, but the side fan does help bring in lots of cool air. That said, unless you've got a huge and hot gpu, the side fan isn't doing anything for you.
From my measurements, it wouldn't hit the back fan, but I will keep your advice in mind, thanks!

Does a GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB count as huge and hot?
why don't you try the intel stock cooler to see if the temp still the same, if it's the same than I'm assume it's the chip it self or mb fucking up somehow.
I could try that in a bit, thanks for the recommendation!

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
A few of us recommended the stock cooler, you said you didn't have one! Lol

Gtx 660 will be fine to remove the side fan. If you're playing tf2:go you will notice nothing..

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
I got confused, sorry. Not sure how, but I did. Anyway, I'm planning on ordering the Cooler Master EVO and when that comes, I'll do the testing. I'd do it tonight, but a family matter has come up that kinda puts a kink in that plan.

Again, thanks for the input, guys, I will let you know when I get it resolved (if I do).

$alvador

TD Member
this is one of the chips that suffers from an issue with shitty thermal interface between the IHS and die, might have to pop off the IHS and apply some more paste to solve this

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Isn't 3770k Soldered? I would not attempt IHS removal on a soldered.....
A simple Google search confirms no. Plus I'm positive that @$alvador, @OG buckshot jr , myself and most others in this thread knew that before your conjectured post.

At any rate, the IHS removal has proven results, some people use the razor blade method, some the hammer/woodblock.

This video is one of the simplest I've seen:

In the end, Cmp will need to decide what advice, if any he'll take and if the risks are acceptable.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
I do appreciate the input, but I'm just not experienced or comfortable with taking apart my processor. I'm too protective/paranoid/whatever to try that.

I'd rather try the cooler first. If that doesn't work out, I'll go from there.

Nick

DARKLY Regular
A simple Google search confirms no. Plus I'm positive that @$alvador, @OG buckshot jr , myself and most others in this thread knew that before your conjectured post.

At any rate, the IHS removal has proven results, some people use the razor blade method, some the hammer/woodblock.

This video is one of the simplest I've seen:

In the end, Cmp will need to decide what advice, if any he'll take and if the risks are acceptable.

A simple "No" would have sufficed.

Notice how I wrote a question? with a question mark? It was because I recall reading somewhere that 3770k was soldered, but wasn't certain.

Anyhow, Thanks for your criticism, and general negativity.

And yes, in the end Cmp will have to make the call.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Agree with cmp that until he tries another cooler, no drastic action is necessary. Although the benefits could be good, there's just no other reason I can think of such high temperatures have come so suddenly other than a defunct cooler.

Nick

DARKLY Regular
Agree with cmp that until he tries another cooler, no drastic action is necessary. Although the benefits could be good, there's just no other reason I can think of such high temperatures have come so suddenly other than a defunct cooler.

Along with the fact that his fan wasn't working/didn't feel any water flow. I totally agree with you.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
A simple "No" would have sufficed.

Notice how I wrote a question? with a question mark? It was because I recall reading somewhere that 3770k was soldered, but wasn't certain.

Anyhow, Thanks for your criticism, and general negativity.

And yes, in the end Cmp will have to make the call.
Pft. You're on the internet, commenting on a tech post. The presumption is that you can perform a Google search before bumping your post count.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Whacky question because you've stated that you're not overclocking and that you've reviewed your bios.

1 - Have you updated the bios? Maybe it changed a voltage setting not displayed by CoreTemp that is causing more heat.

2 - Prior to this episode, has CoreTemp properly detected the vcore voltage?

Grasping at straws here obviously, as these things usually screw over overclockers, which you're not.

Sent from my SGH-1337M (Samsung S4) using Tapatalk

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
I have not checked for an update, no.

And before this issue, I hadn't been using CoreTemp because I found it distracting. In hindsight, I probably should have been, but I can't do much about that now.

My cooler has arrived and I plan on working on it later today.

I have to access the back of the motherboard to put the metal brace thing on. Is putting my video, sound, and wireless cards on a paper towel safe? I don't have an ESD mat handy.