RIP gfx card

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
So I moved last week and finally got to set up my computer only to find the gfx card has AIDS. Monitor detects signal but no feed comes out. At first I thought it was the monitor so I went ahead and tried the HDMI to the flat screen and same problem, detects signal but nothing. Both HDMI and DVI were being used and worked at my old place, so this leads me to the conclusion that it's the gfx card. The HDMI from the HD cable tv box works in the same input on the flat screen, so it's not the TV nor the monitor. So no gaming for me until this is fixed.

That being said, any suggestions on an affordable card right now? Any good deals you know of? I'm on a tight budget since I just moved and had to spend quite a bit on all kinds of shit for the new place.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
I would say first remove video card, clean, and then reseed and see if its really dead, maybe just got slightly unplugged during the move?

I am also on the look for a mid range/low budget video card to replace my 2 hd4850's .

excalibur

DARKLY Regular
Would have to agree with Steve, the card more than likely unseated a bit in the move. First thing you gotta do when a desktop is moved before turning anything on is removed and reset all plugin cards or a unseated card could be destroyed on power up.

$alvador

TD Member
pcie6index.jpg

plug this into your card before you race to CC for another one

$alvador

TD Member
you should try another PSU or GPU then to rule out the PSU because that's more likely to be fucked than the card is. Can also pick up a voltmeter from Princess Auto for cheap to check the pins and see if there's proper power flowing there

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
you should try another PSU or GPU then to rule out the PSU because that's more likely to be fucked than the card is. Can also pick up a voltmeter from Princess Auto for cheap to check the pins and see if there's proper power flowing there

I have a volt meter I will check it right now

$alvador

TD Member
damn. that sucks. i can't imagine why a GPU would die just being moved, got me stumped. one last thing that might be worth trying if you haven't is plugging the GPU into another PCIE port. It's not likely but i've heard of slots going dead

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
damn. that sucks. i can't imagine why a GPU would die just being moved, got me stumped. one last thing that might be worth trying if you haven't is plugging the GPU into another PCIE port. It's not likely but i've heard of slots going dead

Yea it's odd. Wednesday this baby was still running. And the move was only 5 mins away, so it's not like it took a rough ride for a long period of time. Just doesn't make sense to me either. I'll try the different port if I can get it to fit with the other crap in there.

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
I have a GTX 280 1.2GB for sale. $80 for you.

Not to be ignorant or anything, but is that a good card?

Gtx 660, $220 @ best buy

Not bad.

So I was looking at the BBY website, so many cheap cards. What's wrong with them mofos?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...e7cedf1d99a61c9ebcb9c68en02&SearchPageIndex=1

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...026337c77f98b9454c386bfen02&SearchPageIndex=1

Not saying I would get the 6450, but just an example. Help a brotha out with some insight.