What Happened DARKLY?

I remember the main server a group of tf2 players and I would play on was Darkly NY. The map changed and then it slowly started to decline (player and connection wise) as F2Ps pooled in a ruined the server. Since there werent any admins who religiously played tf2 we either had to deal with the fuckery or find a new Darkly server to play on. After searching I soon found that almost each and very Darkly server had turned to complete shit connection wise. It was as if someone had taken the frame rate on my computer and turned it way down. I miss playing on darkly since That was just about the only server I played on for almost a solid year and met all of the people who I now co-own a server with. Any specific reason the servers got neglected? (or whatever happened)
Its hard to find a good server like the DARKLY servers were.

HappySticks™

TD Admin
The trade servers have always been "laggy" for whatever reason but playing on them today, they are absolutly terrible (almost unplayable). So by the looks of it its not just me, and I can take internet connection of the top of my list for possible culprits.

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
How long has the lag been going on?

Since I've been Admin...it's old news.
It was mainly just the Chicago servers but the Toronto servers have been a little choppy for almost a year.
It's been brought up time and time again, in the end we just gave up bringing it up cause nothing was done.
Go figure.

Servers are still populated almost all the time so...?

By the sounds of it with these 2 posts, the slight choppiness has amplified a bit?
So maybe they need a reset or something along those lines.

HappySticks™

TD Admin
How long has the lag been going on?
Well, considering today was the first time I played in a day or so, I can't tell you specifically/accurately how long the amplified chopiness has been going on for but it seemed to settle down after 30 minutes or so. The choppiness was still there (which is a recurring thing on the servers), but not nearly as bad as when I first got on the server and from what I have heard, the majority of the players on the servers were experiencing it.

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
The severity of it varies. A restart temporarily relieves a bad case of it, but certainly not all. My framerate and interp tend to behave erradically on the servers too, and since the actual server isn't overloaded my guess is that the server convars and such aren't setup properly, something which can be notoriously difficult to do on Source servers (could be lag compensation or something). I've never actually dissected the entire server setup; I'll try to do that this weekend, along with some other needed updates, and see what I find.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
The servers aren't neglected. Just because you don't see an Admin on every single second you are on, that doesn't mean the server has been left out in the cold. I can't believe I have to say this, but the Mods and Admins are players too. And we have the right to choose what map we want to play on. I have been partial to #2 lately, so when I play TF2, I go there.

So before you come in making wild accusations, get your facts straight. The Admins work damn hard to keep the servers up. Instead of bitching about some lag, how about a friendly headsup that the server has a little extra lag next time? Thanks.

So before you come in making wild accusations, get your facts straight. The Admins work damn hard to keep the servers up. Instead of bitching about some lag, how about a friendly headsup that the server has a little extra lag next time? Thanks.

I think you may have misunderstood me. I'm wasn't bitching nor was I saying the admins weren't doing their jobs. All I was saying is that for months now the servers have been unplayably choppy/laggy or whatever you want to call it. I'm not sure how all those other players can play when they take a step and end up 5 steps away. "Any reason the servers got neglected or whatever happened" But I just want to make sure you know cmp that I wasnt bitching about the admins not doing their job. As far as getting my facts straight, there wasnt "a bit of extra lag here and there" it was more permanent lag over the course of 6 months+

It was mainly just the Chicago servers but the Toronto servers have been a little choppy for almost a year.
By the sounds of it with these 2 posts, the slight choppiness has amplified a bit?
So maybe they need a reset or something along those lines.

Also Zack the servers have been choppy like that for quite some time now. I try to revisit them every now and then to see if anything has improved but the results I find are never good. Toronto is usually full [which might add to the problem] but even when there's 2 players on each team the server is still choppy.

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
HL1/HL2 engine have always had the problem of choppiness if a map stays on too long without being reloaded.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Any specific reason the servers got neglected? (or whatever happened)
You said, "any reason the servers got neglected". Adding "or whatever happened" to the end doesn't change the fact that the first part is basically calling the admins out because you didn't have a perfect experience.

Also taken from your first post:
Its hard to find a good server like the DARKLY servers were.

Implying that they are not good enough for you anymore or are substandard to your tastes.

Both of these statements are disrespectful and I'll be damned if I'm going to let you just come back, talk trash, cry a little bit and expect people to grovel at your feet.

You know what I do when I come across a server that is lagging me? I find a new one! Crazy, right? But it actually works! Toronto barely lags for me, so I hang around those. And even then, I stay away from #4 because that Minecraft map is pretty laggy (not to mention camper heaven, but that's beside the point).

So I'll say it again, instead of bitching, how about a friendly headsup in the Shoutbox like:
"Hey, the servers seem a little choppy, can someone take a look?"
or
"Sorry to bother you, but <insert TF2 server here> is a little slow. Mind checking it out?"

Look, I've even given you two templates to use!

Well yea... I clearly stated in more than one post that the servers were much worse than they used to be. That was the issue I brought up. If it sounded the way you're saying my apologies but I'm not going to lie and say the servers are fine because they are a shell of what they used to be.
I was just bringing up the fact that for a very long the time servers have been choppy.

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
Like Brades said, it may be because the map stays unchanged too long. Gatherix Maybe we should do like a map change every hour or few hours or so and see if it improves?

Posted using dat Q10

Mizz

DARKLY Fiend
^this
messes with my fps
Especially since there are a ton of dispenser's in spawn, sprays everywhere

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
I'm likely going to have some free time tomorrow evening, I'll implement it along with some other fixes

Toronto 2 crashed and restarted on its own yesterday.
Rauta kept joining even though he's permed.
People keep saying their chat colours aren't working anymore.
Possible that other things are broken too.
Couldn't get to you yesterday so this is my telling you.

HappySticks™

TD Admin
Instead of making a new thread, I just opted to just post here.

For the past few days the TF2 trade servers have been increasingly getting more and more choppy.
Not sure what's going on, but I know it's not on my side.
I asked numerous other players and they are experiencing this as well.
I'm thinking they just need a restart, but I wouldn't know anything about it.

Anyone know what the problem is?