[NEED HELP/THOUGHTS] Custom Rig

shoottomaim

BANNED
Intel i7-4770K Haswell 3.5G Quadcore (bit.ly/16Aq4bH)

16G DDR3 RAM
120G SSD
1 TB HDD (WD Black 1TB, 3.5” Sata 6 GB/S, 7200RPM, 64 MB Cache (bit.ly/wdblack1tb)
nVidia GeForce GTX660 2GB
10/100/1000 Lan
DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Writer
Thermaltake Armor Revo Gene Snow Edition (http://bit.ly/armorrevo)
700w PS

you liek? I was given a template by the store I went to, and could replace anything I wanted. The parts which don't have labels will be provided by the store... it's a Chinese place at my local plaza... "PCZone". Total for this rig is $1280. Thoughts?

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Looks like a solid build. My one recommendation is this: Do not buy everything from one place. Take your time, find deals/sales and purchase bit by bit. You will save a lot of money. And don't, for the love of [insert person here] pay for Windows/Office lol

Example: You want a 700W PSU. Well, Corsairs are good, so are Enermax etc. You shop around, wait, and bam, you find one that's on a wicked deal and you save money. Same for RAM, SSD etc...

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Intel i7-4770K Haswell 3.5G Quadcore (bit.ly/16Aq4bH)

16G DDR3 RAM
120G SSD
1 TB HDD (WD Black 1TB, 3.5” Sata 6 GB/S, 7200RPM, 64 MB Cache (bit.ly/wdblack1tb)
nVidia GeForce GTX660 2GB
10/100/1000 Lan
DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Writer
Thermaltake Armor Revo Gene Snow Edition (http://bit.ly/armorrevo)
700w PS

you liek? I was given a template by the store I went to, and could replace anything I wanted. The parts which don't have labels will be provided by the store... it's a Chinese place at my local plaza... "PCZone". Total for this rig is $1280. Thoughts?
In addition to the valid comments already in this thread, it's a little weird that only name brands in the quote are the chip, case and HDD.

I would ask and expect answers to:
- what motherboard make and model (not listed at all)
- what cooler on the 4770K? Stock?
- what are the specs of the 16GB of DDR3 RAM? (2 or 4 sticks? volts? Frequency, CL, etc.)
- brand and model of the SSD (and I would go at least 256GB)
- is the GTX660 reference or branded?
- brand and model of that 700w power supply
- warranty parts? entire build? service?

A shit mobo and shit PS could mean all the other awesome parts could fry. If these are first tier parts then the price is excellent. Second tier parts... meh. Third tier or lower, might as well go spend $1300 on lottery tickets if you're going to do heavy gaming on mystery parts or cut your budget in half and not worry about frig all.

Closing thought, seems unbalanced to have the top 4-core hyper threading CPU paired with a mid-range GPU.
For a gaming only rig, you'd get better bang for your same bucks to move $100 from the 4770K and downgrade to a 4670K and upgrade the GTX660 to a GTX770 or R9 280X

shoottomaim

BANNED
In addition to the valid comments already in this thread, it's a little weird that only name brands in the quote are the chip, case and HDD.

I would ask and expect answers to:
- what motherboard make and model (not listed at all)
- what cooler on the 4770K? Stock?
- what are the specs of the 16GB of DDR3 RAM? (2 or 4 sticks? volts? Frequency, CL, etc.)
- brand and model of the SSD (and I would go at least 256GB)
- is the GTX660 reference or branded?
- brand and model of that 700w power supply
- warranty parts? entire build? service?

A shit mobo and shit PS could mean all the other awesome parts could fry. If these are first tier parts then the price is excellent. Second tier parts... meh. Third tier or lower, might as well go spend $1300 on lottery tickets if you're going to do heavy gaming on mystery parts or cut your budget in half and not worry about frig all.

Closing thought, seems unbalanced to have the top 4-core hyper threading CPU paired with a mid-range GPU.
For a gaming only rig, you'd get better bang for your same bucks to move $100 from the 4770K and downgrade to a 4670K and upgrade the GTX660 to a GTX770 or R9 280X

Roger that, will ask the technician via texting ^-^.
i won't be doing too much gaming; mainly video editing, recording while playing ~3 hours a week for 4-5 years. Thanks!

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Roger that, will ask the technician via texting ^-^.
i won't be doing too much gaming; mainly video editing, recording while playing ~3 hours a week for 4-5 years. Thanks!
If video editing, then that CPU is the right one (hyperthreading) and you are likely OK with the GPU.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Ok, good. As long as you're getting hooked up, you're gold. I just don't wanna see you waste money to pay some derp to put your rig together lol

Snap

DARKLY Regular
Nice Maim, with a killer rig like that you got me shaking in me boots! I'm now afeard to face you in GO. muhahaha.:hotcanada:

Brains

TD Admin (and LiR)
don't need to wait for boxing day, just wait for BRACK FRIDAY!

Brack Friday? Racist! I'm waiting for this.
south-park-1707-black-friday-WINTERISCOMING-clip13.jpg

Thanatos

TD Member
don't need to wait for boxing day, just wait for BRACK FRIDAY!

Hinouchi is right, over the last few years places in Canada have seriously discounted for Black Friday to match or be cheaper than Boxing Day. I built my computer on Black Friday last year with parts from Tiger Direct, NCIX, and Canada Computers. Because I was curious, I checked the prices of the same parts on Boxing Day and my Black Friday parts were cheaper.