• Please remember to wrap not safe for work text/images in [NSFW][/NSFW] tags.
    Example: [NSFW][img]http://darklygaming.com/images/spinnysgapedass.jpg[/img][/NSFW]

My Fight with Steam

Fiend

Senior TF2 Admin
I figured i would share my current battle with Steam regarding a game that was on sale:

1 Message by you on Fri, 25th Jan 2013 1:07 pm
I received an email that Quantum Conundrum was on sale at 100% off. When i went to the store, it's telling me to buy it for 7.49. I would like to get the game at what i was offered via email. In addition, the game was also showing 100% of on the list of deals. I appreciate you helping me with this.

2 Message by Support Tech Cannon on Fri, 25th Jan 2013 1:51 pm
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We apologize for the message you received in error.

Quantum Conundrum is on sale for 50% off this weekend:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200010/

We understand this is an inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

3 Message by you on Fri, 25th Jan 2013 1:54 pm
I see that it's 50% off now. However, i was offered the game for free at 2 different locations. I would appreciate Steam upholding the offer it sent to me. Had i not been paying attention, i would have spent 7.49 on the game. In addition, to show the game being 100% off in every area but the cart and switching the price at the cart could be viewed as a bait-and-switch.

I just want what i was offered.

4 Message by Support Tech Cannon on Fri, 25th Jan 2013 2:22 pm
Hello,

Unfortunately, there is no way to offer you a different price outside then advertised on our web site .

Aside from the inability to modify prices for a single purchase through Steam, there are legal issues with our third party partners that authorize the sale price during a specific time frame.

5 Message by you on Fri, 25th Jan 2013 4:11 pm
But it was advertised to me in two separate locations. One was directly into my email and the other was on the steam store page under "See all Deals."

I understand legal issues with third party partners, but there are also legal issues with bait and switch by advertising a price in multiple locations and then raising that price when it gets into the cart.

I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time or be unreasonable. An email was sent to me with this offer and it's the offer i want to accept. It also says the offer is good until January 28th.

6 Message by you on Sat, 26th Jan 2013 7:51 am
In addition, i would be happy to email the offer that i received via email from Steam regarding the game. It also includes the end-date of the offer and distinctly shows the price.

How can Steam not want to show accountability regarding this? I'm merely accepting an offer that you guys had sent to me.

7 Message by Support Tech Cannon on Sat, 26th Jan 2013 8:34 am
Hello,

Unfortunately, we will be unable to assist you further with this issue.

8 Message by you on Sat, 26th Jan 2013 8:43 am
Well, i would like to speak to someone above you that can before i contact someone on my end that will make it legal.

It's outrageous to me that a company can offer me a price and change it while i'm trying to check out. All while i have proof of the offer.

The bad press will already start via social media, steam, message boards and the like. The lack of accountability by Steam is staggering and the lack of communication or willingness to help your customers who just want what you offered them is offensive.

So i need contact information of who above you i can speak to since you're refusing to assist with anything but canned comments and copied/pasted responses.

$alvador

TD Member
good luck expecting any consumer rights to be upheld when a) digital media industry is notorious for circumventing them and b) you waived whatever rights you may have had left by agreeing to Steam EULA. No offense but they clearly don't take you seriously and after the vague threats I definitely wouldn't either

Fiend

Senior TF2 Admin
Not fighting for the game or the money. I didn't buy the game because of the price difference. Had they offered it for free, i would have turned them down. The point was to see IF they would uphold it and to see how ethical they are. I'll keep poking and pissing them off now.

$alvador

TD Member
Before you continue to harass them let me remind you the EULA you agreed to gives Valve the right to revoke licensing and deny you access to all your games. Your only sensible options are to a) let it go, or b) boycott

Glocky

Drinking your tears
ME_403_CoverYourAss-640x199.png

Fiend

Senior TF2 Admin
yeah, in a perfect world there would be no need for EULAs and there would be no guys threatening to sue steam for chump change out of "principle".

No, you're 100% right. Fuck standing up for the idea of getting something for what it's advertised for. Fuck consumer rights. Any business not on the internet does this and they get nailed for bait-and-switch.

You're so focused on the price which has nothing to do with this entire thing. I didn't spend any money on the game, i never bought the game, and i wouldn't have looked at the game. They sent me an sale advertisement in my personal email telling me the price they were offering it to me for and how long the offer would last. It also showed this said price on their own library of games. When i add it to my cart to check out, the price changes. That's illegal.

Yup, so instead of this teenage YOLO you're attempting, Steam's gonna EULA your ass. Put that in your Drake and smoke it.

I'm not some punk teenage kid YOLO'ing and i won't get EULA'd. Appreciate the ignorant and otherwise useless comments your brought to the discussion. Feel free to not contribute to it anymore.

Your life must suck.

Yes, being on disability is definitely making it suck. Not allowed to be active right now. :\

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
bait-and-switch.

then u go, see its not free and bail. whether its a bait and switch or an honest fuck up, its not like they put mercury into baby formula. i dont trust anything on the internet, to begin with. but on the other hand, valve is reputable and is held up to a higher standard. i do agree that if everyone did that, then it would be annoying and a big waste of time for ppl and standards should be upheld. but this seems like a 1 time fuck up from valve.

Fiend

Senior TF2 Admin
It happened over the big holiday sale too. Sleeping Dogs was advertised as on sale for 95% off. Same shit, the price changed in the cart.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Hey, not my fault you're too stupid to realize you don't have any right due to you 'signing' Steam's EULA. Your 'fight with Steam' is the equivalent to an argument on a youtube video, so you do warrant stupid comments.

Fiend

Senior TF2 Admin
Didn't say i would win the fight. I was just sharing something for discussion.

Shame you can't post without flaming. Least i know going forward who's posts i might skip. Thanks for being an asshole.

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
They sent me an sale advertisement in my personal email telling me the price they were offering it to me for and how long the offer would last. It also showed this said price on their own library of games. When i add it to my cart to check out, the price changes. That's illegal.

False advertising is illegal, yes, under the Federal Trade Commission Consumer Protection Act. So if what you're claiming is true and you're not missing any sort of expiration date, the email is in fact from Steam, and you're not missing fine print anywhere or whatever, then yes, Steam is breaking the law. However, FTC laws also apply to a state-by-state basis; Valve Corporation is based in Washington, and read Washington's False Advertising Law:

Any person, firm, corporation or association who, with intent to sell or in any wise dispose of merchandise, securities, service, or anything offered by such person, firm, corporation or association, directly or indirectly, to the public for sale or distribution, or with intent to increase the consumption thereof, or to induce the public in any manner to enter into any obligation relating thereto, or to acquire title thereto, or an interest therein, makes, publishes, disseminates, circulates, or places before the public, or causes, directly or indirectly, to be made, published, disseminated, circulated, or placed before the public in this state, in a newspaper or other publication, or in the form of a book, notice, hand-bill, poster, bill, circular, pamphlet, or letter, or in any other way, an advertisement of any sort regarding merchandise, securities, service, or anything so offered to the public, which advertisement contains any assertion, representation or statement of fact which is untrue, deceptive or misleading, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor: PROVIDED, That the provisions of this section shall not apply to any owner, publisher, agent, or employee of a newspaper for the publication of such advertisement published in good faith and without knowledge of the falsity thereof.

That's not the only thing that will render your case slightly negated. As OG buckshot jr has pointed out, Steam's EULA (the Steam Subscriber Agreement) states that:

YOU AND VALVE AGREE TO RESOLVE ALL DISPUTES AND CLAIMS BETWEEN US IN INDIVIDUAL BINDING ARBITRATION. THAT INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, ANY CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO: (i) ANY ASPECT OF THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN US; (ii) THIS AGREEMENT; OR (iii) YOUR USE OF STEAM, YOUR ACCOUNT OR THE SOFTWARE. IT APPLIES REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH CLAIMS ARE BASED IN CONTRACT, TORT, STATUTE, FRAUD, UNFAIR COMPETITION, MISREPRESENTATION OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY.

YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU AND VALVE ARE GIVING UP THE RIGHT TO SUE IN COURT AND TO HAVE A TRIAL BEFORE A JUDGE OR JURY.

YOU AND VALVE AGREE NOT TO BRING OR PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION, PRIVATE ATTORNEY GENERAL ACTION OR COLLECTIVE ARBITRATION, EVEN IF AAA’s PROCEDURES OR RULES WOULD OTHERWISE ALLOW ONE. THE ARBITRATOR MAY AWARD RELIEF ONLY IN FAVOR OF THE INDIVIDUAL PARTY SEEKING RELIEF AND ONLY TO THE EXTENT OF THAT PARTY’S INDIVIDUAL CLAIM.

Technically, you do not forfeit your rights by agreeing to the EULA, and could still take legal action. But you'd never make it that far against such a corporation, with your odds so slim to begin with. And even if you were to get that far, in order to make any purchases from Steam and have any of this apply to you, you need to be a Steam Subscriber. And, as is clearly noted in the Steam Subscriber Agreement,

Valve may cancel your Account or any particular Subscription(s) at any time. In the event that your Account or a particular Subscription is terminated or cancelled by Valve for a violation of this Agreement or improper or illegal activity, no refund, including of any Subscription fees, will be granted.

So at any time during this Valve can just terminate your account and eliminate any possible case you would have against the company, even if they are in fact illegally soliciting false advertising.

kn1v3s

I'm New Here
I can see the argument from both sides, on one hand if it happened once or twice ok fine mistakes happen and I would let it go. On the other hand, if it starts to be a reoccurring issue, I would get pissed that they kept doing a bait and switch.