Headsets?

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
So I fell asleep last night after dinner.. vegas tired me the hell out. So let's begin...

1. Is your pc a desktop or laptop?
2. Did you buy it, or is it custom built?

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Yes. It's weird.
Right, so if it works to turn ON, but won't work to turn OFF, that tells me it's some sort of driver/inf file fuck up. If you turn it on, jam f8 like a son of a bitch. Eventually, it will take you into repair/recovery. Don't exit even if it tells you repair failed. There's advanced options from where we can choose a restore point (most recent date, I would select) to restore from.

ᴰᴳᴺ Church of KFC

DARKLY Regular
Right, so if it works to turn ON, but won't work to turn OFF, that tells me it's some sort of driver/inf file fuck up. If you turn it on, jam f8 like a son of a bitch. Eventually, it will take you into repair/recovery. Don't exit even if it tells you repair failed. There's advanced options from where we can choose a restore point (most recent date, I would select) to restore from.
Problem is, it won't let me restore, I click it, and it just... doesn't work. It sends me back to the options screen.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Problem is, it won't let me restore, I click it, and it just... doesn't work. It sends me back to the options screen.
Hm.. At some point this weekend, if you had another device like a laptop: would you be comfortable to Skype with me so I can see what it does? I'm trying to my best to not have you reinstall windows etc.. I'll keep thinking..

Rei

Senior TF2 Admin
Check to see if all the pressing of the power button loosened the wiring for the front AV jacks... long shot, but maybe.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What I would do...

Also, you should NEVER turn off your computer by unplugging the power cable, or turning off the power supply.
If you built it I recommend you make sure all of the AV jacks are wired up to the correct buttons. (What glocky mentioned). Other than that, Please don't use your pc if you have to power it off using said methods... it may just corrupt it even more.

Oh, and punch your friend in the face for me, would ya?

ᴰᴳᴺ Church of KFC

DARKLY Regular
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What I would do...

Also, you should NEVER turn off your computer by unplugging the power cable, or turning off the power supply.
If you built it I recommend you make sure all of the AV jacks are wired up to the correct buttons. (What glocky mentioned). Other than that, Please don't use your pc if you have to power it off using said methods... it may just corrupt it even more.

Oh, and punch your friend in the face for me, would ya?
Well I don't know how else to turn it off, because like I said the power button ain't working anymore. And I checked the jacks, they're fine. Or, they look fine to me.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
If you can't get into windows to turn it off using the start menu, then there's no need to use your pc at all. And if you can get into windows, then you can shut down using the start menu. I'm home tomorrow and can work with you.

AAA

A Little Darkly
i think theres something missing or that im not understanding whats really going on.

well if your cd drive still works then you can try this as a janky test.
create a live cd and use a free distro of linux like ubuntu or use Hiren's boot cd to boot into a live environment. you dont have to know how linux works, just need to do diagnostics.
the point of this is that if you can boot into the live environment to test for hardware problems
-if you can turn off in the live environment, then your button is fine.
-if you can run hdd diagnostic and is passes, your hdd is fine (does not mean windows is fine)
-if you cant do jack shit in the live environment its highly possible theres a hardware problem.

what do you mean by power button isnt working anymore? like when turning off is windows hanging and doesnt shut down. youre turning it off from the menu, or you just usually press the power button on the case?

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
*shit Grammar on my phone. I'm not going through to correct it, but you'll get the point, hopefully.*

There's two problems that I think relate:

1. His computer was installing updates and unexpectedly shut down = corruption I think

2. He can turn on his computer however cannot get into windows. Thus, when it's trying to repair itself and do, we'll, whatever it tries to do, he can't shut it off because his power button doesn't do anything.

I'm still sort of unclear of whether he can - even sometimes - get into windows, but I think not.

Thus, I think some low-level drivers like hardware inf files got corrupted during the update, and thus his front panel doesn't works any longer, and that's where his power button is plugged in. Total guess, but I'll try to help him out tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

ᴰᴳᴺ Church of KFC

DARKLY Regular
i think theres something missing or that im not understanding whats really going on.

well if your cd drive still works then you can try this as a janky test.
create a live cd and use a free distro of linux like ubuntu or use Hiren's boot cd to boot into a live environment. you dont have to know how linux works, just need to do diagnostics.
the point of this is that if you can boot into the live environment to test for hardware problems
-if you can turn off in the live environment, then your button is fine.
-if you can run hdd diagnostic and is passes, your hdd is fine (does not mean windows is fine)
-if you cant do jack shit in the live environment its highly possible theres a hardware problem.

what do you mean by power button isnt working anymore? like when turning off is windows hanging and doesnt shut down. youre turning it off from the menu, or you just usually press the power button on the case?
Okay, so usually I'd turn it off by clicking shut down, but since windows went to shit, I haven't been able to. So I started hitting the power button to turn it off, and that worked for a while, but then it just stopped working. Like, even if I held it down for 5 mins it wouldn't work. So last night I just left it on, and it auto shut-down, so I suppose I'll just do that from now on.

*shit Grammar on my phone. I'm not going through to correct it, but you'll get the point, hopefully.*

There's two problems that I think relate:

1. His computer was installing updates and unexpectedly shut down = corruption I think

2. He can turn on his computer however cannot get into windows. Thus, when it's trying to repair itself and do, we'll, whatever it tries to do, he can't shut it off because his power button doesn't do anything.

I'm still sort of unclear of whether he can - even sometimes - get into windows, but I think not.

Thus, I think some low-level drivers like hardware inf files got corrupted during the update, and thus his front panel doesn't works any longer, and that's where his power button is plugged in. Total guess, but I'll try to help him out tomorrow.
Random shut-down during updates is what happened. I don't know how it did it, but that's what happened, and that's all I know.