Gaming Headphones

Lacrimosa

TD Admin
Last weeks I started to play using my music headphones instead of speakers. I like it even if it just stereo, so now I am looking for gaming one.. Any suggestions? I thinking of Razer Tiamat.

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
Fuck me 180$ on head phones and then you still need a sound card? Fuckin eh ....

eBay Zalman zm-rs6f true 5.1 with individual speakers. They are $50 and then you can go buy a $130 sound card.

LT_Clash

TD Member
me and isieze both use the logitec G930 set, they are pretty awsome, i dont think il go back to a wired headset again. i can get up and gop get a snack and still listen to anything important being said on mumble.

the sound quality is about the same as the razor set i had before them and i like the mic on them better. they are a solid build and have great battery life (can still use them while pluged in and charging), my only gripe with em is the logitech macro software is shit, they have 3 mapable buttons on the side i have mine set up to run my winamp (next song, play/pause, prev song).

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/gaming/headsets/devices/7248

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=619&Itemid=59&limit=1&limitstart=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbRhx5jRShk

excalibur

DARKLY Regular
i have the RAZER carcharias, and i love those. Wife bought me them for christmas cause she was getting annoyed listening to me play in the dining room haha.

I think the Razer Megalodon is a USB only headset which is 150, and is 7.1 as well. Didn't know the Tiamat existed looks good tho.

TurboTaco

TD Admin
Another fucking annoyance I have with the G930 headset (just got a month or so ago) is that everytime u don't use it for more than a few minutes, it automatically turns off. While it might not seem like a big deal, more often than not I have found myself talking to a dead mic with no one able to hear me.

Besides that the sound quality is pretty solid overall and I havent had much trouble using them. There are times however when the 'digital 7.1 surround' ends up getting congested or something in games like BF3 where there are multiple directional sound sources.

Olst

TD Admin / Queerbécois
The quality of the sound of G930 (I have them aswell) but somehow when I'm listening something else besides game sounds, the sound is cut. It's like I,m getting lags while I know I don't have any problems on this side...

its really weird.

perplexd

Banned
Last weeks I started to play using my music headphones instead of speakers. I like it even if it just stereo, so now I am looking for gaming one.. Any suggestions? I thinking of Razer Tiamat.

Don't go with razer. If I've learned ANYTHING .... Razer doesn't make the greatest Audio products. If anything, headover to futureshop you can pick up steel series Siberia V2. They're extremely comfortable, found amazing and won't take a dump on you. Best part is they double up as my normal headset when I'm listening to music on the bus because of the retractable microphone.

http://shop.steelseries.com/us/audio/steelseries-siberia-v2-full-size-headset.html .

Or if you're a fan of music headphones. Buy a good pair of sennheisers. You'll never go wrong with those and get a stand microphone. Otherwise I'd recommend steel series . Double up as music headphones.

I've went through two megalodons and Chimaera (couldnt figure out how to spell em ;p).

Hell.. I've got another pair of megalodons I've been trying to get sell of because my microphone died. Audio still works for listening to music and in game sound. Works with a stand microphone. Razer sounds good but their audio products don't seem to last.

skd_mrk

TD Admin
Buy a cheap set of headphones and go buy Rosetta Stone English and a mic so we can understand your Frenchy butt.

Nothing but love for ya!

hadriel

A Little Darkly
If you're looking strictly for gaming look to Steelseries 7H or Siberias. Unless sponsored by a rival company, nearly every progamer will attest that Steelseries is still on top in terms of gaming headsets and keyboards. I've been using the Siberias v2 for about a half a year now and I love them. If you're looking for a little cheaper, Logitech are solid and generally last a while. They've also got superior customer support compared to most of the competition. I used a bunch of their cheap gaming headsets for years and they're solid. Razer is one of those love or hate companies. I personally have had loads of issues with them in the past and find that you overpay for what you get, but I know a lot of people who also swear by them. In the end it really comes down to personal preference.

If you're looking for gaming+music, etc. Go with a good pair or Sennheisers. (You'll probably have to buy a mic separately though)

Lacrimosa

TD Admin
Thx. As I mentioned I am looking for gaming headset. If they will play music it is good, but unnecessary - I already have music one (B&W).
I saw one open box Razer Megalodon for 80, but read a lot of issues with drivers for W7 64Bit. Tiamat will be analog without this issues and Realtek motherboard build-in sound card can handle 7.1.
Steelseries looks good, but not much cheaper if 7 ch after all. Same about Logitec.
Zalman looks interesting..

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
Just an FYI, I've used stereo, 5.1, and now currently 7.1

Its not worth it, imho, I can't differentiate between 5.1 and 7.1

DatGuy

TD Member
I currently need a new set. I have the Tritton AX pro, but the mic broke on them...the sound is great though.

TurboTaco

TD Admin
If you can find the Logitech G930 for under $80, I would get it otherwise Steelseries for sure.

I got the G930 on boxing week with staff discount, like $75 after tax :]

IMO 7.1 digital surround is a sham feature for many gaming headsets. All are digitally produced and a majority of games currently don't even support 7.1 surround, let alone 5.1. And as I say, beware of wireless gaming headsets, they are as convenient as they are annoying.

If you can find a good gaming headset with True 5.1 Surround (ie. 5 speakers in each earphone) for a decent price (which you probably won't) I would invest in those.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
I have these: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826265063
26-265-063-S01

No complaints. Haven't died after two years or so, which is more than I can say for previous headsets from various makers I have owned.

halfbakedchef

TD Admin
Don't go with razer. If I've learned ANYTHING .... Razer doesn't make the greatest Audio products. If anything, headover to futureshop you can pick up steel series Siberia V2. They're extremely comfortable, found amazing and won't take a dump on you. Best part is they double up as my normal headset when I'm listening to music on the bus because of the retractable microphone.

http://shop.steelseries.com/us/audio/steelseries-siberia-v2-full-size-headset.html .

Or if you're a fan of music headphones. Buy a good pair of sennheisers. You'll never go wrong with those and get a stand microphone. Otherwise I'd recommend steel series . Double up as music headphones.

I've went through two megalodons and Chimaera (couldnt figure out how to spell em ;p).

Hell.. I've got another pair of megalodons I've been trying to get sell of because my microphone died. Audio still works for listening to music and in game sound. Works with a stand microphone. Razer sounds good but their audio products don't seem to last.

razer doesn't make good anything, i had a mouse that sucked, and right now i have a lycossa keyboard that randomly stops working and the usb port on gets all fudged up. i personally will never buy another razer product!

perplexd

Banned
razer doesn't make good anything, i had a mouse that sucked, and right now i have a lycossa keyboard that randomly stops working and the usb port on gets all fudged up. i personally will never buy another razer product!

I've had my lycossa for over a year and razer imperator or whatever its called mouse and they seem to work fine for me :oi!

Lacrimosa

TD Admin
I use DeathAdder 2 years and have not any problems with it. Before it I used Copperhead and killed left button after 4 years. But yes, I read lot of complains about their audio products.
Currently I considering Roccat Kave..

The wife and I just bought Siberia v2's. Super cheap compared to the real high end ones, but the sound quality is great and they're comfortable. Can't complain, for the price (we actually got them on ebay from China, took 2 weeks but saved like 20 bucks each).

hadriel

A Little Darkly
The wife and I just bought Siberia v2's. Super cheap compared to the real high end ones, but the sound quality is great and they're comfortable. Can't complain, for the price (we actually got them on ebay from China, took 2 weeks but saved like 20 bucks each).

LOL. Exactly what my wife and I did like half a year ago :P