Counter Strike: Global Offensive

tanks and plains for those with adhd aks and hs's for those with skills :D

From a strategic and tactical perspective, comparing CS to BF is like comparing paintball to an actual battlefield. Skills are required for both. BF has a lot more to offer when it comes to strategies and tactics than CS ever did or ever will.

hadriel

A Little Darkly
kinda like how competitive CS will never reach the status of competitive World of Warcraft or competitive DOTA2. When was the last $1 million dollar prize pool CS:S tourney? You mad?

And you will never participate in a more epic competitive scrim then 12v12 on Battlefield. 5v5 scrims dont have shit on it. There is just so much more team work/planning/strating in BF scrims. Getting good pilots to cover the skies, tanks and infantry to cap and hold... trying to hold / cap up to 5 bases on a map to hold dominance... yeah... beats the fuck out of AK rushing B or A on D2 over and over for 16-30 rounds.

If you haven't scrimmed in a BF game, you missed out BIG.

1. I could care less what games have a prize pool as that's a poor indicator of how competitive and balanced a game's gameplay actually is...by those standards cod would be the most competitive fps, which I think we all know is untrue.
2. lol? I never said CS was more competitive than any of those games you mentioned, just battlefield. If we're comparing ALL GAMES, Brood War and SC2 beat any other game in terms of gameplay suited for competition by miles.
3. WoW pvp never reached the competitive status of the CS, Quake or SC series...the high level of play always had a very limited following and representation in tourneys
4. Any moba game is going to have bigger prize pools just because they're currently the most popular games (DOTA2 is better suited for competition than LoL though). And all things said, their gameplay is actually better suited to competitive play than any FPS...
5. I agreed that bf is a lot of fun. I played CAL bf2 and I had a blast, but that doesn't mean the gameplay is better suited to competition than CS
6. When it comes down to it, fps has nearly dropped off the map for competition, CS is the most competitive team-based one out there gameplay-wise. (I'd still argue Quake is the fps game that's best suited for competitive play.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
1. I could care less what games have a prize pool as that's a poor indicator of how competitive and balanced a game's gameplay actually is...by those standards cod would be the most competitive fps, which I think we all know is untrue.
2. lol? I never said CS was more competitive than any of those games you mentioned, just battlefield. If we're comparing ALL GAMES, Brood War and SC2 beat any other game in terms of gameplay suited for competition by miles.
3. WoW pvp never reached the competitive status of the CS, Quake or SC series...the high level of play always had a very limited following and representation in tourneys
4. Any moba game is going to have bigger prize pools just because they're currently the most popular games (DOTA2 is better suited for competition than LoL though). And all things said, their gameplay is actually better suited to competitive play than any FPS...
5. I agreed that bf is a lot of fun. I played CAL bf2 and I had a blast, but that doesn't mean the gameplay is better suited to competition than CS
6. When it comes down to it, fps has nearly dropped off the map for competition, CS is the most competitive team-based one out there gameplay-wise. (I'd still argue Quake is the fps game that's best suited for competitive play.

Prize pool and tourney turn out is the best way to judge popularity with competitive gamers
wtf are you talking about WoW arena PvP is without a doubt the most competitively played game of the last three years. Yes it beats out SC/SC2 even with the korean gaming crowds.

U mad CoD and HALO have bigger competitive followings then CS.

CS:GO will not change any of this. It will die quicker then CS:S's competitive scene.

$alvador

TD Member

if that's true it's probably because they have big-bucks publishers behind them who can afford to subsidize the cost of tournaments. Valve never marketed CS commercially, it became a competition mainstay on its own merits which, as pointed out, are the gameplay elements.

i don't really care about GO's graphics as long as they kept the hitboxes the same because so far the biggest fuck-ups in CS development history have involved changing them!!

LT_Clash

TD Member
i highly dout cod has a bigger competitive scene than CS, CS:S i would agree, but CS stiull has very large tournements every year. halo is mlg suported so i agree entierly that it has a bigger competitive scene. Cod was never built to be a competitive game, it has a great competitive pub scene but not as much on a "pro" level

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
if that's true it's probably because they have big-bucks publishers behind them who can afford to subsidize the cost of tournaments. Valve never marketed CS commercially, it became a competition mainstay on its own merits which, as pointed out, are the gameplay elements.

i don't really care about GO's graphics as long as they kept the hitboxes the same because so far the biggest fuck-ups in CS development history have involved changing them!!

i highly dout cod has a bigger competitive scene than CS, CS:S i would agree, but CS stiull has very large tournements every year. halo is mlg suported so i agree entierly that it has a bigger competitive scene. Cod was never built to be a competitive game, it has a great competitive pub scene but not as much on a "pro" level

CoD is the only brand paying out money in tournament play to its gamers. You can see that as a negative, but IMO that pretty fucking cool. You will never see valve give gamers a fucking penny. That being said to bad its a fucking console game that does this.
From last September in LA

Call of Duty http://www.callofduty.com/xp/home

Call of Duty XP world tournament/convention:
Hip-Hop Icon Kanye West To Headline
Dropkick Murphys Performing Live on Opening Night
Be the First to Play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty $1 Million Tournament

The finals are underway! The Call of Duty $1 Million Tournament Presented by Xbox 360 pits top Call of Duty warriors from around the world against each other in a colossal 32-team showdown for $1 million in cash and prizes.

.44 caliber

TD Admin
YEA! cuz steven said so, so shutup!

Lol steve, dont be mad. CS founded TD. Your biased views are falling on deaf ears.

And are we comparing FPS to RTS in competitive success? Why dont you compare a PC to a cash register next. CS is brilliantly simple hence the longevity of its success. BF has more things that can go wrong. And they did a fuckin good job of that with its rushed release and bugs at launch. Lets wait and see if CS:GO has even half the bugs. Valve > any shit from EA

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
BF has more things that can go wrong. And they did a fuckin good job of that with its rushed release and bugs at launch. Lets wait and see if CS:GO has even half the bugs. Valve > any shit from EA

We get it, your mad but hurt over BF3. To bad you butt hurted off and never got a chance to enjoy it like everyone else: LB/brades/47/drugs/iseize/cock/abdul/bj/buck sr/dooby

and you must not have played source at launch, lawl.

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
Starcraft and wow are only popular cuause of asians and we all know asians arent real people so that doesnt count. herp

hadriel

A Little Darkly
Prize pool and tourney turn out is the best way to judge popularity with competitive gamers
wtf are you talking about WoW arena PvP is without a doubt the most competitively played game of the last three years. Yes it beats out SC/SC2 even with the korean gaming crowds.

CS:GO will not change any of this. It will die quicker then CS:S's competitive scene.

herderp, can you not read? I specifically said I'm not comparing popularity or success, you completely misunderstood my point. I was comparing by how suited the gameplay is to competition.

Do some research. I'd love for you to go to the top 50 worldwide e-sports teams and show me that WoW has a better representation than SC. Starcraft is the 3rd most popular SPORT in Korea next to baseball and basketball. Here, I even helped you out a bit in respect to your prize pool claims: http://www.progamingtours.net/index.php?/best-esports-2011.html

No I'm not mad at all, it makes perfect, sense they're popular games. I don't think you even understand what I'm saying. Those games are easily the most popular competitive games. I'm saying that they're gameplay isn't as suited for competition as a game like CS...those 2 are pretty close though. My arguement was just that BF's gameplay has inferior gameplay to those games...Not that it can't be played in competition or that it's not fun, the game just isn't appropriately crafted for competition like the aforementioned.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
herderp, can you not read? I specifically said I'm not comparing popularity or success, you completely misunderstood my point. I was comparing by how suited the gameplay is to competition.

Do some research. I'd love for you to go to the top 50 worldwide e-sports teams and show me that WoW has a better representation than SC. Starcraft is the 3rd most popular SPORT in Korea next to baseball and basketball. Here, I even helped you out a bit in respect to your prize pool claims: http://www.progamingtours.net/index.php?/best-esports-2011.html

No I'm not mad at all, it makes perfect, sense they're popular games. I don't think you even understand what I'm saying. Those games are easily the most popular competitive games. I'm saying that they're gameplay isn't as suited for competition as a game like CS...those 2 are pretty close though. My arguement was just that BF's gameplay has inferior gameplay to those games...Not that it can't be played in competition or that it's not fun, the game just isn't appropriately crafted for competition like the aforementioned.

The point I am making is the same as you. You are judging those games as better suited for competition based SOLELY on personal opinion(as I am for my side).
My point is that if CS:GZO really is better suited for competition then it will over take CoD/Halo/RTS's/MMO-PvP in tourneyment popularity.

Spoiler: It won't.

P.S. Yes I know BF is the least played competitive FPS out there right now. But you need to get out of fantasy land, CS is right behind it ;-P

hadriel

A Little Darkly
The point I am making is the same as you. You are judging those games as better suited for competition based SOLELY on personal opinion(as I am for my side).
My point is that if CS:GZO really is better suited for competition then it will over take CoD/Halo/RTS's/MMO-PvP in tourneyment popularity.

Spoiler: It won't.

P.S. Yes I know BF is the least played competitive FPS out there right now. But you need to get out of fantasy land, CS is right behind it ;-P

While I'd agree that the fun factor of gameplay is an opinion, there are clearly some games that incorporate elements that are better suited to competition..so it's not purely a personal opinion. Blizz designed sc2 with competition in mind, 1.6 was designed with competition in mind, css....well was not, and they got chewed out by the community for it.. but my only point is that from what I've seen so far csgo appears to be a step in the right direction to bring a balance of gameplay between 1.6 and css for something that could play out better in competition and will make a lot more sense when ranked elo matches get implemented.

Nowhere did I say that CS ever will take the spotlight from those games mentioned and to clarify, I do not expect it to. Regardless, without support from major tourneys, prize pools, etc. a game can still have a better platform for competition. I completely disagree with your point that a game better suited for competition will take over tournament popularity, that's simply not how it works. Popular games will still field large player bases, prize pools and competitions regardless of how poor the infrastructure of the gameplay was designed for competitive play (to a particular extent obviously, some games simply do not have a way to be played competitively).

Regardless of the way you spin it, CS is a dying series (as you mentioned), and for valve to cater to its competitive community is a smart decision on their part..they can't directly compete with BF or cod. By implementing features like ranked ELO they will simply retain enough of a strong player base to make a profit. As I said before, valve could just re-release 1.6 with ranked ELO and I would pay full-price for it. A lot of the community left are die-hards who were heavy into CAL and CPL and can't stand the inferior feel of the gameplay in the cod series. It likely won't get the tourney support it deserves, but that won't be due to the fact that its gameplay isn't designed for it.. that's all I was trying to say. I'm not sure which fantasyland you assume I am in, but I can assure you that I do not expect CS to relive its glory days 10 years ago as it did at its peak. All I care about is playing a better/more competitive version of CS, could care less if the game actually makes it in competitions or not as long as the gameplay is more comeptitive.

hadriel

A Little Darkly
/PS. if I had a good enough PC to run BF3, I would have played my ass off more through the beta and would still probably be playing constantly now. I had some of the most fun on an fps ever in BF2 with a group of friends playing at the same time. And the scrims in CAL were even more fun. imo BF3 is the most fun fps game out there right now, I don't want you to think I dislike the game or am on some mad hate-train just because CS is dying. If I could I would play both games and be happy as a clam. BF3 when I feel like having fun with some friends, CS when I feel like playing a more serious scrim...and that's why I'm so exstatic about the fact that the gameplay is going to be closer to 1.6 than CSS, because that's all I want and expect from CS.