Any good VPS host?

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
Anyone know of a good, affordable and RELIABLE VPS host? It's time for us to pull plug on our current host, they seem to have problems way too frequently for my liking, resulting on our website being down, custom maps not being available for download and bans not working. Time to bail.

$alvador

TD Member
I've been with Windows Azure for a while and it's simply awesome. you get a web interface you can use to launch the servers yourself (Windows or Linux), you get billed by the hour depending on the amount of resources you provision, and should you even need customer service it's professional. Did I mention that geographic redundancy is an option?

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
Hard to say as it's dependent on the budget, technology, knowledge, and location. I've just recently switched over to My Custom Hosting [KVM] (OVH, Montreal) 2 months ago from Linode [XEN] (NAC, Newark, NJ) after 3 years due in part to all of the above from my first sentence. My requirements have always been very minimal and it's too early for me to judge on the reliability of My Custom Hosting. Linode, on the other hand was superb, but so far I haven't had any regrets on the switch. FYI, OVH, the provider used by My Custom Hosting has dedicated hosting with Canadian industry changing pricing at So You Start.

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
Bump. We are looking for an affordable VPS host with cpanel. We have to bail on our current VPS this month. HALP

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
I'll ask around my engineers at work, they all have sites.

Thanks BJ.

Hard to say as it's dependent on the budget, technology, knowledge, and location. I've just recently switched over to My Custom Hosting [KVM] (OVH, Montreal) 2 months ago from Linode [XEN] (NAC, Newark, NJ) after 3 years due in part to all of the above from my first sentence. My requirements have always been very minimal and it's too early for me to judge on the reliability of My Custom Hosting. Linode, on the other hand was superb, but so far I haven't had any regrets on the switch. FYI, OVH, the provider used by My Custom Hosting has dedicated hosting with Canadian industry changing pricing at So You Start.

I was looking at this guy's post which btw (tho i could be wrong) looks like some advertisement copy/paste post with all the links. Anyways, I checked out OVH. They have a DC in Montreal, they are really cheap, ddos protection included, etc. Only bad thing I keep reading in reviews is that their customer support is aidsy. Anyone heard of these guys or ever used their services? Olst they are your peoples, tell us if they are legit.
I think the bad support with americans is due to the language barrier, let's get olsthon to be our liason with these guys and we're golden. Quebecois like to stick together. :ifyouknow:

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I think hosting in Montreal could be great. They always better network infrastructure/service than Ontario at better prices. Ontario is just rape. Milk is $7 nikka!

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
What VPS are you currently on?

Brades what's the name of these guys again? All I know is we pay 92 dollars a month and I don't wanna spend more than 40.
OVH seems to have decent vps for 21/mo and it has everything included from what I see on their site.

Posted using dat Q10

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
you guys lost the seventy billionth referedumb. All part of my master plan to wipe the french language off the planet. kekekekek

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
I was looking at this guy's post which btw (tho i could be wrong) looks like some advertisement copy/paste post with all the links.

Not a bot or an advertiser :P I'm a regular on your CS:GO server; my horrendous stats, not that I/you care. I needed to reduce my personal hosting costs and researched. I found my current VPS provider, MCH, advertising on Low End Box with a deal I couldn't refuse. I've read my fair share of bad reviews about OVH during my research, but no more than any other provider. Their prices were/are low enough to test the waters and that's exactly what I did. In the past 4 months there was 1 outage due to a fibre cut during bridge construction in Montreal and it was fixed in a timely manner.

Bump. We are looking for an affordable VPS host with cpanel. We have to bail on our current VPS this month. HALP

FYI OVH VPS Classic uses OpenVZ which can be over sold vs. XEN or KVM. If this does happen or not I can't say but it's something to look into for any provider. Also cPanel is an additional cost of $13.99/month as found on http://www.ovh.com/ca/en/vps/operating-system.xml (near bottom). http://weathermap.ovh.net/ to see how their networking is fairing and http://proof.ovh.ca/ to test your/their speed.

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
Not a bot or an advertiser :P I'm a regular on your CS:GO server; my horrendous stats, not that I/you care. I needed to reduce my personal hosting costs and researched. I found my current VPS provider, MCH, advertising on Low End Box with a deal I couldn't refuse. I've read my fair share of bad reviews about OVH during my research, but no more than any other provider. Their prices were/are low enough to test the waters and that's exactly what I did. In the past 4 months there was 1 outage due to a fibre cut during bridge construction in Montreal and it was fixed in a timely manner.

FYI OVH VPS Classic uses OpenVZ which can be over sold vs. XEN or KVM. If this does happen or not I can't say but it's something to look into for any provider. Also cPanel is an additional cost of $13.99/month as found on http://www.ovh.com/ca/en/vps/operating-system.xml (near bottom). http://weathermap.ovh.net/ to see how their networking is fairing and http://proof.ovh.ca/ to test your/their speed.

Hahah well good to know you are real. I did order a cloud VPS from OVH, we'll try it out and see how it goes. I read their service is great, uptime is great, just pray you never have to contact their customer support which is where they get their bad rep from. Thanks for the feedback up-n-atom I appreciate it.