AMD Figi chips

Carns

TD Admin
If I read correctly, it's priced competitively with the 980 ti, and seems to edge it a little bit. At least at Stock speeds. Not sure which Fury X they used for the benchmarks, but it makes me wonder what the water cooled one can do in terms of OC.

Carns

TD Admin
For some reason, I thought they mentioned that the Fury X would come in both a AIO cooler and an air-cooled variant, while the Fury would be air-cooled and not quite as spec'd as the Fury X. Oh well.

E|ement^ #Torontogaming

DARKLY Regular
I never thought that AMD would be able to destroy Nvidea at graphics cards... the titan x got slaughtered by the fury x.. and the yet to be announced 2 gpu card... are you fucking kidding me??? LAWL!

Carns

TD Admin
AMD seemingly targeted nVidia's Titan X/980 ti and come pretty close to it. But even by those early leaked benchmarks, it didn't really destroy it. Those may not even be final, but the performance comparison shown is interesting enough to put off my 980 ti order, at least until we get some proper reviews come out early next week (I think). A step in the right direction so far.

The thing for me though: Pricing. How will it compare to the EVGA 980 ti Hybrid, which is $749.99USD. If the performace is similar and the pricing is along the lines of the standard 980 ti, then I may be sold. Reduced chance of PCB/Cooler sag would be a bonus.

Edit: And then there's this, but again... with a grain of salt: "Official" benchmarks. A little cherry-picked (mostly AMD friendly titles), but it's another piece of the puzzle.

Last edited:

E|ement^ #Torontogaming

DARKLY Regular
The reason I think amd will come out on top in long rung and wipe the floor with them is their price to performance.. as HBM becomes more efficient and drivers get better for the new hardware I think the improved memory will shine. If AMD prices their Fury X cards $25-50 less then the 980Ti ... it's a straight win for team red hand's down.

Carns

TD Admin
No doubt. I'd consider identical pricing to the 980 ti to be a win in their favour considering the OCing potential. If they manage to undercut even a little bit, that would be huge. They needed a win in order to keep the market fair, so we don't get fucked by a monopoly.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
The "Team red vs Team green" is as much AIDS as the console wars.

Nice card though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
This. The only winner anybody should be concerned about is your wallet. Nvidia could charge more because AMD wasn't competitive.

If the Fury and Fury X gets AMD competitive, then Nvidia will have to drop their prices. In this case, neither AMD nor Nvidia wins, but all PC gamers do, green team or red team alike, because we'll have more money to spend on other things.

Speaking of other things, don't speak about the Titan X as a gaming first card, you'll lose credibility. It's a compute card that can do gaming, a poor man's Quattro. Even Nvidia fanboys don't want a Titan for gaming when a 980ti can give you 97-99% of the gaming performance for about two-thirds the price.

Full disclosure, I think my GPU history looks something like red > green > green > red > red > green > red > red > green, as I find the best card for my purpose at a price point I am comfortable with. Price is a lot of the equation, but I also consider heat, power, reliability, drivers, memory size, controls and feature set. Might have even been influenced by the game bundled into the equation if I could sell them and lower the price.

I really want the Fury / Fury X to be big successes so that all GPUs improve and the prices come down in response to the competition. By competitive, I mean market share, not individual products. At a 50/50 market share, I think pricing will be very cut-throat, which will be awesome for us gamers.

594bdf0a-e25d-4161-bb96-5b89dfda28ed.png

Glocky

Drinking your tears
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-390x-r9-380-r7-370,4178-6.html

This is why Fury and Fury X need to be awesome, successful, and compelling. The 390X is irrelevant unless you need 8GB of VRAM, most of the 300 series rebrands too, unless you need more VRAM and what you do will benefit from the HBM.

Using GTA 5 1080p as an example, you might be able to argue, once pricing is released, that if a 390X is 50% less in price that a 980ti it's a good deal, i.e. performance for the dollar, what you can't argue is that the 980ti is delivering acceptable FPS (over 60) and the 390X is not. I'm sure other titles will have variances, but if a GPU can't pull a steady/average (and preferably minimum) 60 FPS on the triple A title that you want to play, then there's no point buying it at any price point. That said, GTA 5 can go eat a dick as it is so poorly optimized, I would want closer to 140 FPS to pair with my 144Hz monitor (non G/Free Sync).

Tom's is decently impartial (do they have ads? I have blockers so I have no idea if they are actually impartial).
When they update this Fury / Fury X preview with gaming benchmarks, and those gaming benchmarks makes Nvidia lose some sleep, start watching for price drops. :D

More full disclosure: I'm reallllllllllly trying not to buy a new video card (currently Asus GTX 780 with 1248 boost) this year as the titles I play at 1080p don't need anything more e.g. 140FPS steady or more (BF4 [with mixed settings], BL: TPS, BL2, etc.). Ideally I won't buy another video card until my ideal monitor is available in one unit, instead of how it is currently, split between 2 or 3 models, and likely too much money (not going to multi-display). So c'mon team red, c'mon team green, c'mon team whatever, compete for my dollars! lol Only stories worth following this year so far are the Fury / Fury X and 980 ti from a temptation standpoint for me.

Happy Friday!

E|ement^ #Torontogaming

DARKLY Regular
I was watching a linus tech vido on vessel and the 980ti from gigabyte schooled the fuck out of the titax x on 4k gaming with an OC. it was getting about 10fps more then teh titan x..

Carns

TD Admin
I think the 980 ti is only like 2-3fps worse in most games at 4K than the Titan X at stock clock. It pretty much made the Titan X useless for any gaming-only related build, as you would be wasting another $350USD for an insignificant gain.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Anyone considering amd's pressure-cookers is insane. Same frame rate, much much cooler and better support/drivers/sli performance: 980ti.

thewhaleman

TD Admin
I was watching a linus tech vido on vessel and the 980ti from gigabyte schooled the fuck out of the titax x on 4k gaming with an OC. it was getting about 10fps more then teh titan x..
980ti is the titan X with less vram and less cores.. At this point nvidia is so ahead of the game they can just release the same card with less vram and it'll be the leader in GPU for the next 3 years.