PC Building and Parts Resources

Fork Included

TD Admin
currently in the process of building version 2 of a custom plywood computer case. My first one was a test-run and now i've figured out what to do next for my revision..

anyway, i would like to mount my video card parallel to the motherboard, it would have to face away from the cpu because i don't have enough space between the two.

i've been doing research and i've found "pci risers" of different styles, however none of them seem to be available locally and mostly through ebay or some sort of special adapter thing for Bitcoin miners to use the GPU for their processing (fucking fuckers Brades)

so i don't know who to trust. Some of these are super cheap (from 2 bucks) to something stupid expensive.

i just want to ensure no loss of performance and the ability to re-mount the card.

a hard card would have me face the "fan" side down towards the MB, so i'll need a riser an inch and a half tall i suppose?

or a ribbon if i need to "flip it".

if anyone can help pinpointing a product (preferably from canada computerrs, newegg or ncix), much appreciated.

Hinouchi

TD Admin
currently in the process of building version 2 of a custom plywood computer case. My first one was a test-run and now i've figured out what to do next for my revision..

anyway, i would like to mount my video card parallel to the motherboard, it would have to face away from the cpu because i don't have enough space between the two.

i've been doing research and i've found "pci risers" of different styles, however none of them seem to be available locally and mostly through ebay or some sort of special adapter thing for Bitcoin miners to use the GPU for their processing (fucking fuckers Brades)

so i don't know who to trust. Some of these are super cheap (from 2 bucks) to something stupid expensive.

i just want to ensure no loss of performance and the ability to re-mount the card.

a hard card would have me face the "fan" side down towards the MB, so i'll need a riser an inch and a half tall i suppose?

or a ribbon if i need to "flip it".

if anyone can help pinpointing a product (preferably from canada computerrs, newegg or ncix), much appreciated.

Some pic would be nice.

I think you need something like this fork

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...55CVF&ef_id=UwDWIQAABeMTZG0N:20140224002626:s

You could probably get it cheaper on ebay, but if you're doubting about their quality than I guess you don't have much choice :P

You don't need the ribbon version that the miner is using, miner use those ribbon riser so they can spread their cards out more for better cooling.

bitcoin_mining_rig_hardware.jpg

Fork Included

TD Admin
so in the end I've only built two "wood" computers, one of which just used the mobo vga for video and the other had it's video card fail... so I've run out of "free" components and decided to scrap the thing for the summer.

but on a totally unrelated note...

why pay $250+ for motherboards?

for single video card and single HD, and two-stick ram, is there a reason to go for the super expensive motherboards? What's in the pudding?

Hinouchi

TD Admin
More expensive board usually have much more feature chipset than the cheaper one

Example~

For LGA 1155 There's 5 different chipsets B75, Q75, H77, Z75, and Z77

Cheapest being B75 does not support RAID and might only have sata 3gb/s vs 6gb/s on the more expensive board.

Do the research~ to see what fits your need.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
The more expensive boards used to overclock better (better power phases and the like) but for ASUS at least, and maybe others, all their boards for the last two generations overclock the same.

Newegg shows 19 ASUS Z97 boards ranging from $124.99 to $419.99. So you'll get the latest tech, just need to find the one that has most/all of what you want for the lowest price.

If you cut that down to ATX, only 1 PCIe 3.0 slot and 4 SATA 6GB/s, your choices drop down to 2 boards priced at $124.99 and $139.99.

Fork Included

TD Admin
these are the types of mobo's I've always bought

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130799

I have 2 sticks of 8 gigs, a single video card, a single harddrive-->ssd, and have played all the cool games without trouble

maybe not at super max settings... but i have generally blamed my resolution (1900x1200) as the bottleneck.

I've never once overclocked anything in my life...

like seriously, what is a $450 motherboard going to do for me? How much greener can the grass get?

People who do cross-fire or double-chip... I'd imagine are industry professionals that need the computational power for some serious software... but for the average gamer?

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
The grass can get much, much greener. Overclocking cpu/gpu can make monumental differences. Example (fictitious numbers, but true story on behalf):

Without overclocking:
- BF4 would dip below 100fps, then back to 120fps (where I want it = 120Hz monitor)

With Overclocking:
- BF4 is now more stabilized at around 120fps and only very rarely dips below
= results in smoother gameplay, no tearing, smoother mouse etc.

I know it's not 'huge', but it does help a lot. And, it's free, as long as everything is cool. I'll admit, I've never overclocked a gpu until I got my liquid cooling loop setup, but I've always done CPU, and with that the real gains I've found were when encoding Blu-Rays and css framerates.

Freak

DARKLY Regular
ike seriously, what is a $450 motherboard going to do for me?
On-board RAID and advanced fan control without the need for dedicated controllers for either.

Seriously. A lifesaver for me personally as I run a pro editing workstation (none of these hybrid builds you see people asking about, I'm talking $3k+). Also on my mobo I have quad-channel memory support, with two banks of 4 DIMM slots for a total of 8 modules.

Plus some of the more expensive mobos are rated for higher voltages at little cost to the durability, which is an absolute must for any power user. Not to mention the countless features that I'm not sure everyone uses, but are nice to have for people who like to tinker.

But I agree, gamers don't need a $450+ mobo. $200 will buy you a quality, easily expandable, feature-abundant mobo.

Last edited:

$alvador

TD Member
And, it's free, as long as everything is cool.

ah fuck i can't resist putting this to the test right now. i'm using LuxMark 2.0 to stress just my nVidia 460 GTX (water-cooled). at stock clocks (975 mV), total power draw of my PC is 333W. after cranking the GPU up to my usual overclock profile, which needs 1087mV to run smooth, the total power draw went up to 378W. That's 45W more power being used. If you're running games overclocked a lot then this could add up to a few dollars more on your power bill at the end of the month. It's not a lot of money, but it's not free (unless you don't pay for hydro)

Glocky

Drinking your tears
ah fuck i can't resist putting this to the test right now. i'm using LuxMark 2.0 to stress just my nVidia 460 GTX (water-cooled). at stock clocks (975 mV), total power draw of my PC is 333W. after cranking the GPU up to my usual overclock profile, which needs 1087mV to run smooth, the total power draw went up to 378W. That's 45W more power being used. If you're running games overclocked a lot then this could add up to a few dollars more on your power bill at the end of the month. It's not a lot of money, but it's not free (unless you don't pay for hydro)
LOL - an actual laugh out loud

Sent from my SGH-1337M (Samsung S4) using Tapatalk

$alvador

TD Member
lol sry bucky didnt mean to get under your skin i just conveniently had everything ready for that sort of test and was curious about the wattage difference myself. when i have the dosh to replace this card i'm thinking of getting the epower addon VRM board and a dice pot to see if i can finally melt something (not counting accidentally killing shitty components)

Glocky

Drinking your tears
According to this calculator, and using the premise of 2 hours of surfing (150 watts) and 4 hours of gaming (400 watts) usage every day for 365 days, my power cost is as follows (even though the hours and watts are rounded up and don't account for vacation and stuff away):

Surfing 2 hours a day

Cost Per Hour: $0.0096
Cost Per Day: $0.0191
Cost Per Month: $0.58
Cost Per Year: $6.97
kWh Per Day: 0.20

Gaming 4 hours a day

Cost Per Hour: $0.0334
Cost Per Day: $0.1337
Cost Per Month: $4.07
Cost Per Year: $48.81
kWh Per Day: 1.40

Combined usage 6 hours a day

Cost Per Hour: $0.043
Cost Per Day: $0.1528
Cost Per Month: $4.65
Cost Per Year: $55.78
kWh Per Day: 1.60

My overclock does not effect the surfing totals, but maybe add 10% to 20% to the gaming total, so in a year, my overclock may cost me $5 to $10 extra in electricity. Maybe.

$alvador

TD Member
yeah the overclock doesn't make anywhere near as big a difference as the difference between running a gaming PC compared to something like a laptop with an APU. It barely factors in if you also have a welder in your car hole lol

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Playing BL:TPS - my usage is only 200 watts, so much less energy than the above (1/2). BF4 and other more demanding games get into the 300 to 400 watts I illustrated above.