[NEED HELP/THOUGHTS] Custom Rig

Hinouchi

TD Admin
Brack Friday? Racist! I'm waiting for this.
south-park-1707-black-friday-WINTERISCOMING-clip13.jpg

shut up Rir!

Hinouchi is right, over the last few years places in Canada have seriously discounted for Black Friday to match or be cheaper than Boxing Day. I built my computer on Black Friday last year with parts from Tiger Direct, NCIX, and Canada Computers. Because I was curious, I checked the prices of the same parts on Boxing Day and my Black Friday parts were cheaper.

Deals might not be as good as US Black Friday, but it's alright if you don't want to wait another month for boxing day sales.

shoottomaim

BANNED
Got more info from the technician:
Intel i7-4770K Haswell 3.5G Quadcore (bit.ly/16Aq4bH)
16G DDR3 RAM
120G SSD
1 TB HDD (WD Black 1TB, 3.5” Sata 6 GB/S, 7200RPM, 64 MB Cache (bit.ly/wdblack1tb)
nVidia GeForce GTX660 2GB
10/100/1000 Lan
DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Writer
Thermaltake Armor Revo Gene Snow Edition (http://bit.ly/armorrevo)
700w PS

Turns out he forgot to add the motherboard to the price >_>.
Motherboard: Gigabyte z87x-d3h OR MSI z87-g43
SSD: Kingston v300 (120 GB).
RAM: Kingston DDR3 1600 16g.
Video Card: Zotac GTX 660.
For the price of $1430.

MetalLobster

TD Admin
Got more info from the technician:

Turns out he forgot to add the motherboard to the price >_>.
Motherboard: Gigabyte z87x-d3h OR MSI z87-g43
SSD: Kingston v300 (120 GB).
RAM: Kingston DDR3 1600 16g.
Video Card: Zotac GTX 660.
For the price of $1430.

Ahh I see. It makes much more sense now to just buy your own parts. NCIX got some early brack friday sales, check them out.

shoottomaim

BANNED
Ahh I see. It makes much more sense now to just buy your own parts. NCIX got some early brack friday sales, check them out.

thought black friday was US only O.o
i may just tell the tech to wait until boxing day and see how much i can save c;, althoguh it probably won't be much since he has the parts excluding the ones i custom ordered.

Thanatos

TD Member
Are you in the GTA? I know the others around here will lambast me for this because they hates CC but Canada Computers not only price matches (even online ads) but they will HOLD stock for you if you call them and tell them you're coming to get it.

Tiger Direct if you get them at the right time does have some rock bottom prices, but you have to watch them like a hawk they will change the price throughout the day on the same damn item.

I didn't have the greatest experience with NCIX, I ordered online for in store pickup and was backordered for weeks on end because they couldn't figure out how to transfer the damn stock from BC but the price was teh awesomez.

Also with buying an Nvidia graphics card make sure you get the free games! Don't buy it from some place that's not offering 2-3 free games with it. While you may not want the games it's still "money back" for you and possibly can even trade them for keys/buds on the black market.

$alvador

TD Member
1) you will never use 12GB of RAM on a desktop board
2) the WD Black drives cost a premium for their speed, if you're getting an SSD as the main drive anyway you can easily downgrade the Black to a similar Green drive without suffering
3) people still use DVD drives?
4) $1400 for a rig with Gigashit and Zotac parts? Wow, I'm really curious to see how badly you'll get ripped off on the PSU. Not to mention, the "2GB Zotac GTX 660" has three versions, with a $100 range in price differences. Will you get the AMP! edition, or will you get the low-spec version billed as the AMP! version?

I'm guessing the shop isn't going to bother itemizing the parts carefully, or listing their individual price and being honest about how much they're taking for labour. I'm not sure if I should be upset or just open my own fucking PC build shop, I mean any idiot with a business license (turns out I actually have one since they're free to apply for) can pick up parts at factory prices from a warehouse in Markham and rip people off by charging retail, talking up the worth of the rig and offering a cash discount so they can lie like a fucking fox on tax forms. You want to see corruption? The Chinese got that shit down to a science

$alvador

TD Member
sorry what i meant by corruption was actually tax fraud, which, funny thing, i technically support by going to chinese businesses knowing they will do better prices than big retailers and accept some negotiation, since we both know the master accountant can find something to fudge on tax forms for the sake of a satisfied customer.

shoottomaim

BANNED
Are you in the GTA? I know the others around here will lambast me for this because they hates CC but Canada Computers not only price matches (even online ads) but they will HOLD stock for you if you call them and tell them you're coming to get it.

Tiger Direct if you get them at the right time does have some rock bottom prices, but you have to watch them like a hawk they will change the price throughout the day on the same damn item.

I didn't have the greatest experience with NCIX, I ordered online for in store pickup and was backordered for weeks on end because they couldn't figure out how to transfer the damn stock from BC but the price was teh awesomez.

Also with buying an Nvidia graphics card make sure you get the free games! Don't buy it from some place that's not offering 2-3 free games with it. While you may not want the games it's still "money back" for you and possibly can even trade them for keys/buds on the black market.

Markham~
:3

shoottomaim

BANNED
1) you will never use 12GB of RAM on a desktop board
2) the WD Black drives cost a premium for their speed, if you're getting an SSD as the main drive anyway you can easily downgrade the Black to a similar Green drive without suffering
3) people still use DVD drives?
4) $1400 for a rig with Gigashit and Zotac parts? Wow, I'm really curious to see how badly you'll get ripped off on the PSU. Not to mention, the "2GB Zotac GTX 660" has three versions, with a $100 range in price differences. Will you get the AMP! edition, or will you get the low-spec version billed as the AMP! version?

I'm guessing the shop isn't going to bother itemizing the parts carefully, or listing their individual price and being honest about how much they're taking for labour. I'm not sure if I should be upset or just open my own fucking PC build shop, I mean any idiot with a business license (turns out I actually have one since they're free to apply for) can pick up parts at factory prices from a warehouse in Markham and rip people off by charging retail, talking up the worth of the rig and offering a cash discount so they can lie like a fucking fox on tax forms. You want to see corruption? The Chinese got that shit down to a science

I'm Chinese :notsure:
Know anywhere else I can order a custom rig for honest prices then?

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I'm Chinese :notsure:
Know anywhere else I can order a custom rig for honest prices then?
Yes, you shop for it. If you're not going to shop and build a rig, then don't get someone do it - that's a bigger mark-up than even someone like Best Buy would do. That, and as Sal mentioned, you'll get really shit parts.

Shoot - either you man up, do some reading (fuck, even use Glocky's PC Part-Picker chart, screw the reading) and build a great rig at a great price, or you get fucked and buy some premade bullshit Zotac for $4000. But, for the love of God, decide and stop making these endless threads that end up in no action lol

shoottomaim

BANNED
Yes, you shop for it. If you're not going to shop and build a rig, then don't get someone do it - that's a bigger mark-up than even someone like Best Buy would do. That, and as Sal mentioned, you'll get really shit parts.

Shoot - either you man up, do some reading (fuck, even use Glocky's PC Part-Picker chart, screw the reading) and build a great rig at a great price, or you get fucked and buy some premade bullshit Zotac for $4000. But, for the love of God, decide and stop making these endless threads that end up in no action lol
okay ^-^

shoottomaim

BANNED
There's no such place, you fucking research shit yourself, compare price from place to place. That's why you never buy all the part at 1 place, unless you know for sure they're the cheapest out of EVERY computer store. DIY dude. That's the only option without getting rip.

I looked at a couple of video guides though; the process looks confusing and delicate, and if I break something it'd be my fault and I'd have to pay extra for new parts/someone to help me. I just thought if I paid someone else to build it for me it would be better :c