velociraptor

auron

TD Admin
Sooooo, on my way home I made an impulse buy and grabbed a 300 gig velociraptor from best buy. It's a 10k rpm hard disk thats made to be crazy fast, if anyone isn't familiar. I'm currently running a 1 tb "green" 5400 rpm hard disk so if it's possible to see a difference I should.

Also, I'm getting windows 7 64-bit pro for free through my school so I'm going to switch from my windows xp 32-bit to that.

Thought I'd throw it up here :P

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
u love it. tell me how that drive work out

ssd too expensive.. last time i checked 64gb was like $350

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
[quote1262223560=47]
[/quote1262223560]
you only need a 64gb ssd. so when the price drops itll be perfect

auron

TD Admin
Well, they've also had a lot of trouble and shit. In order to really get them to work you have to get a raid card and two SSD and shit. I don't have the money for a $500+ storage setup.

[quote1262227354=Steve]
[quote1262223560=47]
[/quote1262223560]
you only need a 64gb ssd. so when the price drops itll be perfect

[/quote1262227354]

pretty much, keep all the pirated movies/music on a hdd

and thats fucking weird what auron said. sdd u have to get 2 and run in raid.. y ? they failing ?

auron

TD Admin
Well, maybe the second generation ones (the $500+ for 64 gigs) are better but the first gen ones got all corrupted if you tried to defragment, and since they had no cache they studdered really bad while reading. I'm not sure, maybe I made a bad purchase and SSD is the way to go.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Ya the technology's shit right now, it's nowhere near stable for the money, Auron's 100% right...

And yo, that's a good buy man, how much??? I've been looking to get two of those for Windows + Games, then Data on another HDD...

td|35mm

TD Admin
[quote1262233843=Auron]
Sooooo, on my way home I made an impulse buy and grabbed a 300 gig velociraptor from best buy. It's a 10k rpm hard disk thats made to be crazy fast, if anyone isn't familiar. I'm currently running a 1 tb "green" 5400 rpm hard disk so if it's possible to see a difference I should.

Also, I'm getting windows 7 64-bit pro for free through my school so I'm going to switch from my windows xp 32-bit to that.

Thought I'd throw it up here :P
[/quote1262233843]

Can I get a version of it too? Since is for free and all :D.

Fork Included

TD Admin
congrats! I currently stick to 7200 rpm drives, 10K just too expensive, but its a far cry from 5200, your daily work routine will be improved dramatically.

and if your getting winblows 7 64, you got to pack 8 gigs of ram, atleast, otherwise you wont feel an increase from your OS that much.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
You don't need 8GB's man, 7 takes as much resources as XP lol

@ 35, I'll link you a DVD AIO (All In One, 32 and 64-bit), but you gotta meet me :)

[quote1262236651=OG buckshot jr]
You don't need 8GB's man, 7 takes as much resources as XP lol

@ 35, I'll link you a DVD AIO (All In One, 32 and 64-bit), but you gotta meet me :)
[/quote1262236651]
hahah, u gotta blow him for it !

auron

TD Admin
I only have three gigs of DDR3 ram, that's going to be my next upgrade... whenever I stumble across the money. Even this purchase was a bad idea though, lol.

BJ- I got it for like $200 at best buy. Not a deal, just felt like spending money apparently.

35- I only get one license of it. I don't see any harm in giving you the license for my 32bit copy though.

td|35mm

TD Admin
Well, if BJr will give me the copy, don't worry about it.

If not, then I don't mind the 32 bit one, since I don't have a 64 bit setup anyway :).

[quote1262287018=Auron]
Well, maybe the second generation ones (the $500+ for 64 gigs) are better but the first gen ones got all corrupted if you tried to defragment, and since they had no cache they studdered really bad while reading. I'm not sure, maybe I made a bad purchase and SSD is the way to go.
[/quote1262287018]

SSD is so bleeding edge right now. the money vs. heartache-in-case-of-failure is just not worth it in a production environment (whatever that may be).

does anyone remember how unstable and poorly supported SATA was when it first hit the market (christ it was awful)? but now, i would choose SATA over SCSI any day of the week!

my $0.02.

i have very little doubt that you will see the diff between 5400 and 10K rpm drives. basically its night and day.

i just picked up a couple of the 'green' 1.5TB 7200 rpm drives in nov to build a RAID on my storage server and was expecting to see a bit of lag due to the full mirror (using mdadm on linux). i was moving from a couple of old ATA disks connected via USB (yea, bleh). performance was 10x better using SATA + RAID 1.