The Overclocker's Thread

halfbakedchef

TD Admin
Looking to see who the overclockers are in our community. I have been looking at overclocking my rig, just as an experiment, you know how that goes.
Anywho, just seeing what people know about it, and the best way to achieve the most out of your rig. I saw that one guy got his i3 504 from the stock 3.06mhz to 4.20mhz. I don't plan to try and go this high but it is a good number, for more than one reason. What i am really looking for the time being is how to overclock the FSB. I know that i am going to have to get some better cooling for my CPU. I think for now i will just get a pre built water cooler for my CPU, instead of going all out. I may be upgrading before summer starts.

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
I know for a fact MarineRevenge was into this big time. Maybe this is whats wrong with your ram? ;)

KUSH

DARKLY Regular
I have a i5-2500k 3.3ghz OC'ed to 4.2ghz on Air using a Cooler Master Hyper 212+.

Honestly, if you're gonna go corsair H50/H60 route you're almost just better off getting a Hyper 212+ or a Noctua NH-D14.

I love my 2500k though, I use stock voltages and everything and just have multiplier boosted in bios and I idle @ 30-35c. Ambient 22-24c.

HD6850 GPU oc'ed from 775/1000 to 850/1100 just because.

But uh, yeah, if you can squeeze the noctua in your case I'd almost reccomend this over a shitty H50/H60 enclosed liquid unit

halfbakedchef

TD Admin
I know for a fact MarineRevenge was into this big time. Maybe this is whats wrong with your ram? ;)

The problem with my Ram is
One: im a derp
Two: im a derp

So my CPU is only rated to 1333mhz, thats why i can get 1600mhz out of my RAM right now. Also my RAM was running right and again im a derp and didnt realize the mistake i had made.

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
Not to be a douche bag and repeat myself, You need another motherboard. On both the boards I currently have I can OC my FSB which will effect my CPU clock and RAM. Or I can *lock* my RAM at what ever frequency I want while changing my FSB by itself. Srsly like BJ said Intel boards are shite.

Having a good motherboard is more important then getting water cooling or a new heat sink.

Dean

TD Member
my processor is over 9000hz

If you're getting instability from overclocking the front-side bus just reduce the speed on your ram, basically turn down the your ram then overclock to get to your cpu's threshold.

After that you just start turning your ram back up that is if you really care about that last 1% of performance. this has to be done with chips on locked multipliers ramping the FSB up without lowering the RAM's settings will definitely push the ram over the edge and leave you with a low ass overclock.

4.0 GHZ on an i5 760 using Cooler Master Hyper 212+ with a Noctua fan along side the stock one in a push/pull config.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
I have a i5-2500k 3.3ghz OC'ed to 4.2ghz on Air using a Cooler Master Hyper 212+.

Honestly, if you're gonna go corsair H50/H60 route you're almost just better off getting a Hyper 212+ or a Noctua NH-D14.

I love my 2500k though, I use stock voltages and everything and just have multiplier boosted in bios and I idle @ 30-35c. Ambient 22-24c.

HD6850 GPU oc'ed from 775/1000 to 850/1100 just because.

But uh, yeah, if you can squeeze the noctua in your case I'd almost reccomend this over a shitty H50/H60 enclosed liquid unit
+1 for Noctua ... ugly but effective (I can run my Q9550 at 4ghz with my Noctua, but currently stop at 3.8ghz b/c it's all i need. Stock 2.83ghz btw)

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
running i7-930 2.4 @ 3.98 with noctua12

21x190 1.225v

41 idle, 68 load

$alvador

TD Member
+1 for Noctua ... ugly but effective (I can run my Q9550 at 4ghz with my Noctua, but currently stop at 3.8ghz b/c it's all i need. Stock 2.83ghz btw)

I miss 775 OCing :( Had to take my water-cooled rig apart and simplify matters, but you might like my new rig because it's shoehorned into a P182 (best case evar! :rockon:).

1566c3f8_P1020072.jpeg

KUSH

DARKLY Regular
I miss 775 OCing :( Had to take my water-cooled rig apart and simplify matters, but you might like my new rig because it's shoehorned into a P182 (best case evar! :rockon:).

1566c3f8_P1020072.jpeg

That the zalman heatsink ?

Specs on your pc?

Case looks like crap :p what's so special about this

I have a Corsair 500R.

$alvador

TD Member
the case is rubber-insulated for silence and has very plain gunmetal panels. its beauty lies in its simplicity. also, i hacked it up a lot with a dremel and drill for when I had to mount WC parts, so a lot of what used to be inside is missing. it has a new AM3+ board, Phenom II X6, and 1600mhz RAM and the rest is just reused from previous builds. I wanted to wait for Ivy Bridge but AMD just discontinued the Thuban chips so it seemed like the last chance to upgrade to a cheap 6-core. The board also has more to offer than Intel boards in the same price range, which seemed to be the case for other AMD boards too. CPU heatsink is the Zalman 9500CNPS, had to retrofit to make it mount on this socket hence the orientation (the brass shroud is a bit of custom innovation :smile:) but this works out really well because there's a case fan right above it to evacuate the hot air. Still have to lock 2 cores just to OC it a bit without overheating, I really want it under water but I'm giving school another shot so no time/money for it now.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
View attachment 85
That's my rig the day I got it.
I have replaced the VisionTek 4870-512MB with an ASUS6870-1012MB, and removed the bottom cage because it was empty... that's it.

$alvador

TD Member
Any cable management? Motherboard cut-out in tray?

there's an SSD and most of the PSU cables behind the mobo tray, it took a lot of work and cursing and i think even a deal with the devil to get the back panel fitted on.

it's a good thing you replaced that Radeon, Glocky, it's never good to hold onto components where you need zip ties to hold together ;)

oh, now i remember, i think that Corsair case is popular with the watercooling crowd.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
there's an SSD and most of the PSU cables behind the mobo tray, it took a lot of work and cursing and i think even a deal with the devil to get the back panel fitted on.

it's a good thing you replaced that Radeon, Glocky, it's never good to hold onto components where you need zip ties to hold together ;)

oh, now i remember, i think that Corsair case is popular with the watercooling crowd.
LAF... not.
That's how it shipped to me. Everything zip tied to keep stable, including the clips on the RAM dimms.

DrUgZ

TD Admin
I'll show you faggots my 800D Liquid setup and my Lian Li server when i get back from the boonies.
Desktop specs are in my sig but since i liquid cooled it im at 4.2 GHz

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
i think the benefits of liquid cooling are mostly in the gpu. amirite ?

KUSH

DARKLY Regular
i think the benefits of liquid cooling are mostly in the gpu. amirite ?

You can get much better clocks on CPU, GPU, everything. And it's fucking silent because you don't have 15 fans whizzing around inside.

But yeah, you can get some ridiculous GPU clocks with liquid cooling.