The cutting edge in human flight

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
It will all result in death. I've seen these birdmen in action, they do fly pretty slow, but they all smoke WAY too much pot. You need a force to counteract the force of gravity, and barring rockets and flapping your arms like a fag, it can't be done.

You can have all the angled track you need, gravity pulls straight down, so you're proper fucked.

auron

TD Admin
[quote1265128666=Leroy]

It will all result in death. I've seen these birdmen in action, they do fly pretty slow, but they all smoke WAY too much pot. You need a force to counteract the force of gravity, and barring rockets and flapping your arms like a fag, it can't be done.

You can have all the angled track you need, gravity pulls straight down, so you're proper fucked.
[/quote1265128666]

Nah... picture a big padded container on a track (probably angled or hyperbolic) moving just a bit slower than you. You land in it (it's going 100 and you're going 105, 5 mph impact) and it gradually slows down until stopped.

dead mike

TD Member, Legend, Puncher of Faces, Chatbox King
they should land in a pool, case closed, i'd like my cheque now

Fork Included

TD Admin
[quote1265130451=dead mike]
[/quote1265130451]

they cant, they need a longer run way.

i would try the Ocean/Lake first

auron

TD Admin
[quote1265130579=Fork Included]
[quote1265130451=dead mike]
[/quote1265130451]

they cant, they need a longer run way.

i would try the Ocean/Lake first
[/quote1265130579]
they're falling too quickly in the Y direction for that (ie, they aren't flying anywhere near horizontally). You have to gradually slow down the descent.

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
[quote1265130601=Auron]
[quote1265128666=Leroy]

[/quote1265128666]

Nah... picture a big padded container on a track (probably angled or hyperbolic) moving just a bit slower than you. You land in it (it's going 100 and you're going 105, 5 mph impact) and it gradually slows down until stopped.

[/quote1265130601]

naw mang, physics 101, the vertical component is seperated from teh horizontal component. Birdmen can slow these fuckers down to 30mph fall rate, and it doesn't matter how fast they are travelling horizontally, you still need another opposing force acting in the opposite of gravity for teh delta difference to be zero.

Fork Included

TD Admin
you dont need a delta of zero, just low enough to not suffer bodily damage.

also its not like they are going to be landing on solid concrete.. clearly they are planning to create some sort of special low impact landing pad

what if they landed in a lake full of jello..

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
On the DZ, we would laugh and laugh at the reports that they were going to try to land a wingsuit. I haven't rtfa, but I'm betting it'll be first attempted (unsuccessfully) by a frenchman.

Fork Included

TD Admin
you know, motorcyclists sometimes fly off their bikes at something like 80-90 km/h during a corner, skid on the asphalt, hit a barrier, then get up and walk to the paddock.

this is not that far fetched Johnny.

auron

TD Admin
[quote1265132077=Leroy]
[quote1265130601=Auron]
[quote1265128666=Leroy]

[/quote1265128666]

[/quote1265130601]

naw mang, physics 101, the vertical component is seperated from teh horizontal component. Birdmen can slow these fuckers down to 30mph fall rate, and it doesn't matter how fast they are travelling horizontally, you still need another opposing force acting in the opposite of gravity for teh delta difference to be zero.

[/quote1265132077]
I'm on the same page as you but just imagine this...

You're in your car and you're going 60 and there's a truck in front of you going 0. You hit it. You die.

You're in your car and you're going 60 and there's a truck in front of you going 59. At some point contact will be made, and it'll be gentle. The truck then slowly applies brakes over a period of 10 miles and you're stopped without a jolt.

Fork Included

TD Admin
[quote1265132328=Auron]

You're in your car and you're going 60 and there's a truck in front of you going 0. You hit it. You die.

[/quote1265132328]

well, the car crash zones will absorb a good poriton of the impact, and the seatbelt will keep you in place.. you may suffer a broken rib or a dislocated shoulder.. but otherwise you should be fine :)

auron

TD Admin
[quote1265132260=Fork Included]
you know, motorcyclists sometimes fly off their bikes at something like 80-90 km/h during a corner, skid on the asphalt, hit a barrier, then get up and walk to the paddock.

[/quote1265132260]
That's 80-90 in the X direction only. I can belly flop off my bike (3 feet off the ground) without a hitch. You have to separate the two directions.

It's similar to the bullet fired/bullet dropped issue. Both hit the ground at the same time because the acceleration in the Y direction is the same.

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
well, ok, just so we're on the up and up, I get what you mean, a nice smooth constant deceleration. I know people have survived freefall by hitting trees then water (hence the skydiving joke, aim for the trees or your buddies car)

If it is to be repeatable and relatively safe, then they're going to need something a bit more robust than a truck full of pillows. Even that, I still don't think its possible.

Earth - 1
Frenchman - 0

Fork Included

TD Admin
[quote1265132429=Auron]
[quote1265132260=Fork Included]

[/quote1265132260]
That's 80-90 in the X direction only. I can belly flop off my bike (3 feet off the ground) without a hitch. You have to separate the two directions.

It's similar to the bullet fired/bullet dropped issue. Both hit the ground at the same time because the acceleration in the Y direction is the same.
[/quote1265132429]

well Leroy just said that these guys can achieve a pretty low drop rate, so maybe with the help of a special suit with some exo-skelleton reinforcements, the operator may just be able to take an impact of... 20, maybe 30km/h?

Pyroette

TD Admin
a giant trampoline built 4 stories high. he lands on the trampoline and thats what absorbs the impact he springs back up and when he comes off that bounce he will be able to glide down to the ground and absorb the force of that lesser height with his knees.
eh eh?

LT_Clash

TD Member
i can see it being posible. gliders can land safely. but a glider can achive a 20:1 glide ratio there a wing suit is only along the lines of 3:1 it slows your decent but not enoph to land safely. they would need to build a better wingsuit one that can reach a highr glide ratio. also better hope theres no wind otherwise you might miss the landing zone

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
negative on the glide rate. Gliders use a technique to transfer vertical speed into horizontal translation, coquially known as "flaring". Gliders perform this feat using control surfaces. Humans have none. Although possible to a very tiny extent, you can't flare your human body.

Trust me on this one guys, I have over a thousand skydives.

Spinny

TD Admin / Giant Faggot
[quote1265134354=Leroy]

Trust me on this one guys, I have over a thousand skydives.
[/quote1265134354]

Come to Ontario and lets go leroy :P ... You can strap me to your front, faggggggggggggg