Steam Guard Update

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864977563920604588/

Valve will be :ready4rage:

I think this will put a serious dent into users who steal other's accounts, then drain them of their goods, as it will allow you up to two weeks to reclaim it, the account will be useless until this happens.

Some threads I found about this new feature...
http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/important-subtle-changes-to-steam-guard.41982/
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3176476
http://dota2traders.com/threads/last-update-sucks-im-banned-15-days-out-steam-sucks.84100/

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
:yuno:

15 days seems excessive. Why can't they just have it on by default but give you the option to disable it?

I just got the 15-day lock on my computer even though it has been the only device I've been using Steam on for the past month and has had SteamGuard enabled on it for over 15 days. Fucking Valve.

Deleting cookies is a good security practice too; if they expect me to not remove only their cookies and continue falsely applying the restriction, I'm done trading.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Let me get this straight.

If I log into Steam from my new phone, I will be unable to trade on any device for 15 days?

Wrath

DARKLY Middleman
A1L1YAG.jpg

Apparently, Valve has had enough of the hijacks. It's like when someone steals your credit card, they're tired of the fraud. All of the complaints are small, SMALL prices to pay, which will, eventually, in due time, come and go. Fucking traders need to get a fucking life. :laughhard:

HappySticks™

TD Admin
Alright, 15 days is a lot of time! But on the other hand this new Steam Gaurd update is well needed considering the fact that there is so much account fraud nowadays. Still haven't heard back from Steam Support about my account but I am not to worried after reading about other people that have been hi-jacked and lost items. A majority of them got the items duped and there accounts were returned to them.

Wow, 15 days.........

Wrath

DARKLY Middleman
I'm fairly certain that this is a response to those hijackings and a lot of other flaws, as evidenced by the sheer stupidity of the community. People don't realize, that if Valve had a choice, between leaving things how they were, or letting Natural Selection take it's place.

Clearly, Valve still cares, yet over 500 users don't seem to think so, and are threatening them about this, saying like "fuck Valve", "last nail in the coffin" et centra.

Hoping Valve will one day say "Screw it, you're on your own."

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
I'm fairly certain that this is a response to those hijackings and a lot of other flaws, as evidenced by the sheer stupidity of the community. People don't realize, that if Valve had a choice, between leaving things how they were, or letting Natural Selection take it's place.

That's the point; if the feature is for the user's protection, why can't the user disable it as his/her own risk?

Wrath

DARKLY Middleman
That's the point; if the feature is for the user's protection, why can't the user disable it as his/her own risk?
Part of the Steam Subscriber Agreement, although you COULD disable it at some point in the past.

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
Part of the Steam Subscriber Agreement, although you COULD disable it at some point in the past.

Can you please direct me where in the Subscriber Agreement this is addressed?

You can still disable SteamGuard, but it needs to be enabled to be able to trade.

Wrath

DARKLY Middleman
Can you please direct me where in the Subscriber Agreement this is addressed?

You can still disable SteamGuard, but it needs to be enabled to be able to trade.
I think jakksilves mentioned it, he was forced to re-sign the Steam Subscriber crap again, but made a PDF that he was SUPPOSED to share with me.

Either way, I'm not sure where the Steam Guard lies in, in terms of legal/risk. Valve could get sued for not having adequate 'protection', thus the Guard is the response.

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
I think jakksilves mentioned it, he was forced to re-sign the Steam Subscriber crap again, but made a PDF that he was SUPPOSED to share with me.

Either way, I'm not sure where the Steam Guard lies in, in terms of legal/risk. Valve could get sued for not having adequate 'protection', thus the Guard is the response.

Fair enough, but if legal liability is the issue then it makes squat sense why you can disable SteamGuard altogether but not components of it.

Wrath

DARKLY Middleman
Fair enough, but if legal liability is the issue then it makes squat sense why you can disable SteamGuard altogether but not components of it.
:shrug: Beats me, my head hurts trying to think about their reasons, although given the amount of bullshit that people are posting about it, we might see another update very soon, or a simple Q&A for the 'unwashed masses'. :proceed:

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
To quote Valve regarding the recent update,

"We are going to make some alterations to the current restriction to make it less sensitive for users. Once the changes are made we will be sure to let you know ahead of time before they go live.

For now, the restriction has been turned off. You are now free to trade and/or use the market if you were hitting this."

Wrath

DARKLY Middleman
To quote Valve regarding the recent update,

"We are going to make some alterations to the current restriction to make it less sensitive for users. Once the changes are made we will be sure to let you know ahead of time before they go live.

For now, the restriction has been turned off. You are now free to trade and/or use the market if you were hitting this."
Mhmm, knew it. The masses will always wing, as long as we keep throwing money in their direction.

Still waiting for the market for CS:GO to take off. :fuuu:

:ilied:

I accidentally deleted the file, it was indeed strange.