So, how's everyone getting along with the game?

Currently, the game has been pretty solid. AWP's are ruining basically every map but that will be resolved when the game releases, as will the low map count. I think that unless the AK gets a buff, there will be a migration to the Krieg 553, it's simply more accurate with less recoil and equal power, with the only downside relative to the AK is the higher price. I really like the new de_train, with the only thing I'd change is enabling people to go under the trains again.

Major annoyances are firstly with the new crosshair. It's a really bad crosshair that takes up a lot of screen space, but you're heavily penalized by not using it due to it going red when aimed at an enemy. The other annoyance for me is how similar some opposing skin sets are. Some maps like office I have no problem with, others like inferno and italy I find myself constantly shooting teammates and not shooting enemies due to them looking too similar.

Overall, I'll probably stick with CSGO if the community sticks with CSGO.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/559824352455339462/4056FBDF608978705C8227BAD815AAC1E261826C/

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
The 3 big weakness's of CSGO from $tve's perspective:

The gun skins, the gun sounds, and the maps.

The gun skins look bad especially the deagle. The sounds are worse.

And besides the fact that they have given us 0 new maps, and have even managed to give us hardly any of the classics, the maps they have given us they have made smaller and simpler(inferno losing window room/making banana easier for CT's to cover - Nuke no more back halls/underground back room)

Needs custom maps out the wazzo

iCe

TD Admin
The 3 big weakness's of CSGO from $tve's perspective:

The gun skins, the gun sounds, and the maps.

The gun skins look bad especially the deagle. The sounds are worse.

And besides the fact that they have given us 0 new maps, and have even managed to give us hardly any of the classics, the maps they have given us they have made smaller and simpler(inferno losing window room/making banana easier for CT's to cover - Nuke no more back halls/underground back room)

Needs custom maps out the wazzo

What do you mean by sound? Footsteps/guns/everything? Haven't played yet, will be on tonight around 8.

iSeize

TD Admin
i keep saying this but im hating how the Silhouettes dont POP anymore. people dont usually blend in when you're playing CS. its going to be really hard to get used to.

and yea Steve i think the gun skins are strange and the deagle sounds much less manly.

iCe

TD Admin
Maybe its just b/c its beta. Im sure there will be a lot of changes before/or month after release.

iSeize

TD Admin
you dont normally re-record sounds. just use others from older games as placeholders until you get the final sounds. i dont see guns getting changed at all unless its something mechanically.

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
from my experience with previous css versions: they will patch the game until ppl stop bitching. definitely need more maps!

DatGuy

TD Member
I'll have to talk with BJ, but it may be possible to grab the old customs, and just replace props with the new ones, and update the textures....hopefully customs come quick

hadriel

A Little Darkly
The maps are the biggest issue right now...too many props and then changes that HP made to the rehashed versions don't make sense for the gameplay changes implemented.

Also 2x flash needs to be a default setting for every server- ie. competitive mode instead of something that is just enabled server-side.

Gun balance is kind of weird, but definitely fixed a lot since the last build so it's a step up anyway...

AK nerf was a bit uncalled for, basically impossible to spray now- but strafe-tapping works even better again...so I still think it's the easy choice as T rifle do to its cost efficiency. Galil is up there too though

Still no changes to the M4 boggles my mind, it's one of the better rifles still, but with how strong the famas is since they made the changes to it, I dont see any reason in dumping the extra money into it.

Hoping ELO system actually starts working at release too, since it looks like its not functioning at all right now.

Still a lot of improvements to be made..but it's in way better shape than it was looking a few months ago.

DatGuy

TD Member
I really hate that I cant set a server to automatically try to join because of their ass connecting screen

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I'll have to talk with BJ, but it may be possible to grab the old customs, and just replace props with the new ones, and update the textures....hopefully customs come quick
For now, I can only assume the following because I have no idea:
- the engine is the same
- CS:GO still uses valve's Hammer to create levels, albeit an updated version with updated textures/props
Therefore: Yes, replacing textures and props will do just fine - HOWEVER, a lot of the entities must be different. For example: prop_door_revolving (already changed in CS:S, doh!) is an entity used to create a door that pivots when you open it (like a real door). That might be a new/renamed entity when mapping for CS:GO; i.e. func_door_rotating. With Valve, you never know. So there is a lot more to do than just switch textures etc.

Also, my main concern, is how the little details are changed, and compiled, in the new version of the editor (which is not released yet, am I correct? Haven't looked yet...). For example, cubemaps, vertices, various build shapes, hint/area portal textures and tools, skybox/3d skybox, no-draw and so forth. If a lot of those have changed, then we're far better off re-building the maps to spec, rather working toward a sort of conversion.

EDIT: I'm so scared to even think about vrad, vvis etc... if that shit has been changed/swapped out etc. than we're all fucked, starting from square one, with respect to map optimization (which is unbelievably necessary to have a map run above 50fps constantly) and build structure (sticking with powers of two, etc.).

I'll start looking into it, as well as checking when we (end-users) can get our hands on the newest iteration of the Hammer Editor, suitable for CS:GO. I don't think it will be ready for quite some time.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
For now, I can only assume the following because I have no idea:
- the engine is the same
- CS:GO still uses valve's Hammer to create levels, albeit an updated version with updated textures/props
Therefore: Yes, replacing textures and props will do just fine - HOWEVER, a lot of the entities must be different. For example: prop_door_revolving (already changed in CS:S, doh!) is an entity used to create a door that pivots when you open it (like a real door). That might be a new/renamed entity when mapping for CS:GO; i.e. func_door_rotating. With Valve, you never know. So there is a lot more to do than just switch textures etc.

Also, my main concern, is how the little details are changed, and compiled, in the new version of the editor (which is not released yet, am I correct? Haven't looked yet...). For example, cubemaps, vertices, various build shapes, hint/area portal textures and tools, skybox/3d skybox, no-draw and so forth. If a lot of those have changed, then we're far better off re-building the maps to spec, rather working toward a sort of conversion.

EDIT: I'm so scared to even think about vrad, vvis etc... if that shit has been changed/swapped out etc. than we're all fucked, starting from square one, with respect to map optimization (which is unbelievably necessary to have a map run above 50fps constantly) and build structure (sticking with powers of two, etc.).

I'll start looking into it, as well as checking when we (end-users) can get our hands on the newest iteration of the Hammer Editor, suitable for CS:GO. I don't think it will be ready for quite some time.

csgo beta sdk is out I assume csgosdk will be out at release.

Prop said it should be possible to un-compile css maps and recompile with csgo hammer or w/e

FUCK DE_EGON BJ GIVE US A EGON_GO!!!!!!!!!!

Tarin

DARKLY Fiend
Ugh, each map feels like a 0-10 blowout. I really hope that there is a teamswap command for admins when the game releases.

I feel that's more a Darkly thing than anything, regulars on Darkly like to stack the teams. Usually towards T, but depends on the map. Unless there's a lot of good TD players to balance things it does get rough. I was playing on the Chicago server and it wasn't bad at all.

Shotgun Jesus

TD Admin
Staff member
Motherfuckers are going to get banned once that starts working. Like Santa Steve said, we're making a list and checking it twice.