Remember I got a new comp! Quick question

HaileyHaze

TD Admin
I dont have an anti virus program on my comp. CAn you guys recommend something I should get please!!!

p.s I just got the internet!!!

Ghett0

DARKLY Regular
AVG is decent for a free AV software. Someone told me to get Windows Defender? Something from Microsoft, but it never detected anything which I figured was a falsified sense of security.

The price is right on AVG though (free), so it's a good place to start IMO.

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
I would have also suggested AVG...until about 5 days ago.
I updated War Thunder recently, and since then, It's been telling me that a .exe file inside the War Thunder folder in my Steam Folder is a virus.
Wont let me play it at all.

Similarly, when CS:GO first came out, AVG put the .exe for that game into it's "Virus Vault".
It's a decent free software, but it fucks up so much for games.

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
no antivirus here. i use malwarebytes to clean up shit, even though i havent had a single piece of malware in like 2 years because i go to same 4 sites only.

Ghett0

DARKLY Regular
I would have also suggested AVG...until about 5 days ago.
I updated War Thunder recently, and since then, It's been telling me that a .exe file inside the War Thunder folder in my Steam Folder is a virus.
Wont let me play it at all.

Similarly, when CS:GO first came out, AVG put the .exe for that game into it's "Virus Vault".
It's a decent free software, but it fucks up so much for games.

It does that sometimes. I tell it not to auto-heal so when it flags my (often ripped) games as hax, I tell it to suck a dick.

TinanaBoa

DARKLY Regular
I recommend something light [don't get norton/Mcafee]
Avast is free and good.
Kaspersy is also good, dont know if its free
Nod32 - haven't used this one in years but it was fast and light.

Malwarebytes/CCleaner for when you are actually infected with internet aids.

Ghett0

DARKLY Regular
When I did tech support, everyone who used Kapersky swore by it.
I swear by CCleaner. Great little program for getting rid o that pesky AIDS.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
I would rather have the viruses that Norton should be blocking than the actual piece of shit software that it is. Norton has blocked the small ones, but when it comes to the ones that actually cause havoc, Norton might as well be blind.

I use a combination of MSE and MalwareBytes. I like to have two lines of defense.

Hinouchi

TD Admin
Don't forget about users awareness too, you can have the best antivirus, and still get a virus because the user is derp enough to let it in or got tricked.

I got nailed once with a Chinese video codec :megaderp:, could not clean it with anything. End up f-disk and re install Windows again. NEVER AGAIN! I have learn my lesson and not to touch any Chinese software. :motherofgod:

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I would rather have the viruses that Norton should be blocking than the actual piece of shit software that it is. Norton has blocked the small ones, but when it comes to the ones that actually cause havoc, Norton might as well be blind.

I use a combination of MSE and MalwareBytes. I like to have two lines of defense.
Be very careful when having more than one anti-virus. More often than not, they will conflict, leaving very open holes in your system.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Appreciate the tip, guys. Normally, I wouldn't go past MSE, but it was actually recommended to me to try this by my college IT chair.

It hasn't failed me yet. *knock on wood*