• Please remember to wrap not safe for work text/images in [NSFW][/NSFW] tags.
    Example: [NSFW][img]http://darklygaming.com/images/spinnysgapedass.jpg[/img][/NSFW]

PHILOSOPHY!

iac

Future Ban List Occupant
With the first reply, my immaturity single-handedly ruined your search for intellectual conversion! As Plato once said "Sometimes you just need to take an epic poop to find God".

Fourty7

A Little Darkly
i was just curious. philosophy is my minor and sometimes the mood strikes to pose and consider seemingly ridiculous questions.

Every night, I meet up with a buddy of mine in the middle of the night to have a smoke and whatnot, and we always have extensive conversations about everything in life. He's in philosophy (At DAL, Halifax, Nova Scotia) and I've just always been open minded, well maybe not always.

Anyway, last night we were talking about time.. You know how 'in space' (In orbit) people age less, due to time passing slower? Time being caused by magnetic fields (Gravity) makes you wonder if there are parts of space that time doesn't pass. Which brings me to the unanswerable question...

If you traveled through a region of space with 'no time', would you experience passing through it, or would you only experience the last second before entering, and first second after exiting the area with no time?.. Or would you experience it almost like a dream (Not be concious of the physical world)?..

$alvador

TD Member
No, time is relative so people age at the same rate it just seems slower to someone on Earth. Time is basically manifested by gravity which of course is tied to the existence and concentration of matter. We're stuck in the Earth's gravity which is nothing compared to the gravity well of the sun we're stuck in and on an even greater scale we're being further influenced by the giant gravity well of the black hole holding the milky way together. There is nothing but time all around us, albeit passing at a different scale if viewed from Earth.

Whether there even exists space in our universe uniquely without any time is still up for debate because of the unanswered questions regarding dark matter, essentially matter that can potentially generate gravity but can't be observed as tangible mass can be. I have a huge interest in the relationship between gravity and time, and my theory is that since time hinges upon gravity which hinges upon mass, timelessness is a strictly noncorporeal state of being because it lacks all types of relative measure by which to decide "ok, here's the X axis, here's the Y axis, here's the Z axis, and there's the diner down the street." So basically, it's a paradox with no tangible location to enter into or exit out of.

I took Philosophy at university. Dropped out, now I'm in engineering. Philosophy was fun when I was naive and did nothing but smoke up but eventually I realized that expecting answers from it is much like praying to a God. I read and discussed all kinds of shit from the pre-Socratics to Sartre. I think it's cool that people published this kind of shit to share with the world, but it's not like I didn't stumble upon snippets from their collective wisdom just by growing older and having more experiences in life. Sometimes, our own experiences transcend even what the known philosophers could have thought, we just don't run around sharing it with everyone on the regular.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
LOL This thread is faaaaaaaaaaaacked!

Dead Mike wins: Something along the lines of "I'd do a bunch of this important work, but all I really wanna do is smoke a little weed, eat some food, bust a nut and go to sleep."

LOLOLOL

Fourty7

A Little Darkly
It's relative, but it's not the same ammount for someone on and someone in orbit. Reason being, the ISS rotates the earth in a 90 minute orbit (As opposed to our 24 hour rotational orbit).. Which means they are rotating around the earth at 27,000KMPH aprox.

Einsteins theory of relativity says that as any matter reaches closer to the speed of light, time slows down.. almost a compensation in life to make breaking light speed impossible. Originally theorized as; If you were on the back of a spaceship travelling at 299,999.9999etc. km per second (.00000000000001 under speed of light) and walked from the back of the ship to the front, since you'd be travelling faster than .000000000000001, your combined speeds would be greater than light speed.. however, that's where the theory had to say that the closer you get to that speed, the more time slows down.

Also, the RTC in your computer never has to be reset, but the RTC on every orbiting satellite has to be reset annually by a fraction of a second, due to time dilation.
And yeah, that's what I meant when I said we meet up to smoke lol. Wouldn't be as far out of the box if we werent.