Mic Trading Question

Wrexxman

DARKLY Regular
What is the ruling on how far apart (in seconds) people can mic advertise? There are some that seem to do it every 15 to 20 seconds, personally, I think that is close to mic spam. But, I would like the ruling from the mods/admins.

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
There isn't really a specific, global threshold. The context, content, and length of the message can affect how disruptive it actually is.

If you feel someone is borderline spamming the mic and/or is being disruptive (which I guess is every 15 to 20 seconds for you), here's what you should do:

- Politely ask them to say their message a little less frequently.
- If it continues, ask them again. No more than twice is necessary.
- If it's still a problem, don't confront them. Instead, get an Admin/Mod's attention (typing /admins will give you a list of in-game Admins/Mods; if there are some in-game, you can message them by prefixing a team-chat with @ You can also message them over Steam), and let them make the decision.
- If no Admins/Mods are available, report the player with !report or on the forums, and then mute them yourself (Esc > Mute Players).

Following that will either resolve the problem, or resolve it for yourself and in some way notify an Admin/Mod. It'll also prevent any unnecessary escalation. Either way, you're happy.

EDIT: If the Admin/Mod makes a decision you disagree with, you have a couple options, none of which will get you in trouble (for the most part):

- Report the play anyway via /report even though the Admin/Mod said it was fine
- Mute the player yourself
- Report the Admin/Mod if you think their decision was completely incorrect
- Get another Admin/Mod and hope they'll decide in your favor (don't do this unless you strongly disagree with the previous Admin/Mod's decision; doing it often will likely get you removed from some friends lists)

Wrexxman

DARKLY Regular
Thanks, I was not sure if there was a set limit. If needed, I will follow your recommendations.

HappySticks™

TD Admin
The mic should be specifically used for trading purposes anyway and if the user is not taking over people as s/he does it every 20 seconds then in my opinion it is perfectly fine.

In most cases you have way more people trying to talk on mic so in the end that is the main factor to look at. I usually just let it slide anyway depending on how the rest of the players react to it.

Tl;dr: it depends on what is going on apart from that player

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Personally, I try to enforce equal opportunity. For example, if someone's rattling off the name of every single clean weapon they're selling for a scrap, that's going to hog the mic quite a bit, so I'll ask them to condense it down a bit.
If someone is selling a couple specific things, it's not quite an issue.

The thing with the mic that I'm really strict on is courtesy and awareness. When people start interrupting each other repeatedly, that's when I start muting. I also don't put up with people mistreating each other based on their opinion of whatever the other person is selling. We had a guy like that yesterday on 2 who was just completely arrogant and rude. I was about to mute him, but he left.

The classic part is when they get mad at me for muting them, yet they were the ones being an ass on the mic.
My reaction?
22544-rnE90gif-yM9i.gif

Stan Radner

DARKLY Regular
What I do is I advertise what I want to buy and/or sell in the text chat every 1 to 3 minutes and then follow up with my mic. I typically wait 10 to 15 minutes when using the mic again because I tend to speak loud and clear so everyone can understand what I am saying. My idea on this is that if someone heard what you have said on the mic and is interested then they will either respond with their mic, respond in the text chat, or send you a trade offer. But if none of that happens then most likely no one is interested and continuing to use the mic for trading at a rapid interval will ultimately lead to annoyed and irate players.

TL;DR version - Advertise via text chat every 1 to 3 minutes and advertise via mic every 10 to 15 minutes.

This is of course my own ideas and opinions about this subject and you don't have to use the exact amount of time I use.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Can we have one thread that stays on topic please? If you want to ramble on, create a randomness thread in the TF2 discussion area, and have at it, but personally, I'm tired of every thread turning into an emoticon spam fest. Seriously.

Richard Matthias

DARKLY Regular
Voice audio on the mic that is in terms of trading should be perfectly fine, with the exception of others using it well within the time period longer than 18 seconds (or so). If any longer, it will probably begin to fall within the context as a server disruption and essentially provocative towards other players with a displacement of an unfair advantage. Consistency is always key, along with its courtesy of fairness when it comes to trading.

Players shouldn’t have to mute others by their client side [See (3)], but rather only if you have zero intention to listening to them of their trade talk or folklore. If there is a case otherwise, such as mic spamming music or constant mouthing of gibberish, the case should be filed in the report section then self-muted.

(3) Personally, I never self-mute people just by their bad impression as they could be visciously spamming right under beneath my nose, and I shall be completely oblivious to filing a report.

There isn't really a specific, global threshold. The context, content, and length of the message can affect how disruptive it actually is.

If you feel someone is borderline spamming the mic and/or is being disruptive (which I guess is every 15 to 20 seconds for you), here's what you should do:

- Politely ask them to say their message a little less frequently.
- If it continues, ask them again. No more than twice is necessary.
- If it's still a problem, don't confront them. Instead, get an Admin/Mod's attention (typing /admins will give you a list of in-game Admins/Mods; if there are some in-game, you can message them by prefixing a team-chat with @ You can also message them over Steam), and let them make the decision.
- If no Admins/Mods are available, report the player with !report or on the forums, and then mute them yourself (Esc > Mute Players).

Following that will either resolve the problem, or resolve it for yourself and in some way notify an Admin/Mod. It'll also prevent any unnecessary escalation. Either way, you're happy.

EDIT: If the Admin/Mod makes a decision you disagree with, you have a couple options, none of which will get you in trouble (for the most part):

- Report the play anyway via /report even though the Admin/Mod said it was fine
- Mute the player yourself
- Report the Admin/Mod if you think their decision was completely incorrect
- Get another Admin/Mod and hope they'll decide in your favor (don't do this unless you strongly disagree with the previous Admin/Mod's decision; doing it often will likely get you removed from some friends lists)
Excellent guideline. Others have posted some as well but this might fit the bill the most.

I however would prefer to let traders use the microphone to advertise what they have...in one 'setting'. For example, depending on how quickly someone can speak or how slow, would void the microphone length. So as long as they are saying A. What they are doing, B, Item Name, and C, Price, then there really shouldn't be a definite set time. However, if the person starts to ramble on, they may be subject to prejudice for 'hogging the mic' or worse, spamming it.

In all grounds it is best to announce what you are trading both in Microphone and in Text but preferably in text unless there is a lot of traffic on the voice channel.