Linux Desktop Environments?

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
I got a fresh copy of Linux installed on my new computer - any recommendations of a desktop environment? My preference tends to be minimalist, lightweight, visually smooth, and customizable (in no particular order).

amanshotme

TD Member
What distribution are you using btw? For a minimalist DE, I would go with either IceWM or Openbox. If you like win95 look, IceWM is your go to. If you like crazy customizability, then go with Openbox.

Ohhh I almost forgot about xfce. It is lightweight but still has the eye candy of more heavy DEs. Is also customizable, but not as much as Openbox.

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
What distribution are you using btw? For a minimalist DE, I would go with either IceWM or Openbox. If you like win95 look, IceWM is your go to. If you like crazy customizability, then go with Openbox.

Ohhh I almost forgot about xfce. It is lightweight but still has the eye candy of more heavy DEs. Is also customizable, but not as much as Openbox.

I've been leaning towards XFCE, yeah. Openbox is just a window manager, not a desktop environment, so I can always use it with XFCE if I like.

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
<serious>
I'm actually a fan of old redhat or mandrake, but I think ubuntu is feature-full.

Now before any of you uber geeks jump down my throat for ubuntu, I'm one with old skool HP-UX and AIX, so step off, bitches.

Although, I didn't like how some of the basic system commands are hidden from default ubuntu (pick a distro, any distro), so this might not meet your "customizable" requirement.

Gnome or KDE?

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
<serious>
I'm actually a fan of old redhat or mandrake, but I think ubuntu is feature-full.

Now before any of you uber geeks jump down my throat for ubuntu, I'm one with old skool HP-UX and AIX, so step off, bitches.

Although, I didn't like how some of the basic system commands are hidden from default ubuntu (pick a distro, any distro), so this might not meet your "customizable" requirement.

Gnome or KDE?

I don't mind Ubuntu much; if I were to use it, I'd just start with a minimal install and setup things as I need them, which would eliminate most of the 'problems' and other things I don't like about it. The reasons I'm avoiding it are because of stability, canonical, and because part of the reason I'm doing this is to get more experience with Linux. I went with Debian Jessie because it's a nice balance between ease and difficulty, has arguably the most resources/help available online, and has some compatibility/similarity to Ubuntu that doesn't limit my package options as much as other distros (using Jessie's newer kernel instead of Wheezy's old thing).

amanshotme

TD Member
I've been leaning towards XFCE, yeah. Openbox is just a window manager, not a desktop environment, so I can always use it with XFCE if I like.

Yeah derrrp, I meant to say openbox + tint2, I always forget about that little guy. Yeah you can't go wrong with Debian, there's a reason why so many distributions use it as its foundation.

<serious>

lol I have to do performance testing on HPUX and AIX platforms at work. I really wish customers would just let these guys die and move on already.

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
AIX can be a bit cludgy but it's damn near proprietary for p series nowadays. I'm an Oracle DBA, but every so often I wander over the OS nerds to shake down configuration a bit. We have a bit of say in the mount point (we use both LUN and NFS) configuration, and each environment (we have over 100, Oracle alone) has it's own recommended block size, etc...

Always curious though, "best practice" seems to be a moving target with OS's nowadays.

But these are completely GUI-less. If you are a windows nut, you can install your own goddamn xming.

$alvador

TD Member
i'm using jwm across all my boxes, used to use xfce years ago but it was buggy and uses too much RAM for what it is. jwm does everything xfce does IIRC except notifications but xfce4-notifyd works well on jwm anyway so no matter. thinking of moving to a tiling WM since i use terminal for more things than the GUI. IME GUI front-ends in Linux are a major hassle, they're slapped on like an afterthought, missing half the modifiers and even worse is when they're full of lame bugs too.