It's time for an SSD

$alvador

TD Member
I would wait at least until the first gen of PCI-E 3.0 SSDs starts to get released for an idea of the speed gap, also if that happens by December 26th then that RevoDrive might be one of the items that gets hugely discounted for Boxing Day sale. I got one of my SATA2 SSDs for a massive discount at a Boxing Day sale because it was right after SATA3 SSDs came on the market. Can always count on CC to start hemorrhaging discounts when they're trying to liquidate shit to make room for the latest stuff they can sell for a premium.

About the 1000MB/s... that's the peak transfer rate which is usually only reached while transfering a large file. For loading games and other quick n dirty small-fry transfers the speed difference between RevoDrive and a SATA3 SSD is probably pretty negligible, but that's just my guess based mostly on an article I read about the performance metrics a while back.

oh, very fucking clever for OCZ to call it the RevoDrive 3 to make it seem like it's PCI-E 3.0. I'm sure there's another bullshit reason but let's be honest the manufacturers pull this kind of shit every time there's a standards revision

Wrath

DARKLY Middleman
I would wait at least until the first gen of PCI-E 3.0 SSDs starts to get released for an idea of the speed gap, also if that happens by December 26th then that RevoDrive might be one of the items that gets hugely discounted for Boxing Day sale. I got one of my SATA2 SSDs for a massive discount at a Boxing Day sale because it was right after SATA3 SSDs came on the market. Can always count on CC to start hemorrhaging discounts when they're trying to liquidate shit to make room for the latest stuff they can sell for a premium.

About the 1000MB/s... that's the peak transfer rate which is usually only reached while transfering a large file. For loading games and other quick n dirty small-fry transfers the speed difference between RevoDrive and a SATA3 SSD is probably pretty negligible, but that's just my guess based mostly on an article I read about the performance metrics a while back.

oh, very fucking clever for OCZ to call it the RevoDrive 3 to make it seem like it's PCI-E 3.0. I'm sure there's another bullshit reason but let's be honest the manufacturers pull this kind of shit every time there's a standards revision
^ Agreed, my friend already shelled out for a Hybrid of SSD/HDD and it still has several kinks they need to work out of it. Furthermore, the price just doesn't support the offset of what you're getting, sure it might be settled by the justification of the specs and fancy ease of high-speed transfers, but I don't think we're near where they should be, still 1st Gen.

damha

A Little Darkly
if you want something right now, go for the intel 330 series. apparently the controller inside these ones is top notch!!
dont go ocz, they fail alot. samsung or intel are great! why pcie? go sata3!

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
I am not a fan of the SandForce chips which are currently in the PCI-E card I posted and in the Intel330. After some research I have found SandForce to be a large failure, but it's around because it's cheap.

Any of OCZ's new Vertex4 SSD's don't use the SandForce controller. I'll buy one of them on black Friday :)

Thanks Sal,

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin

Killomatic

A Little Darkly
Fuck man, I use a mushkin for my main gaming / OS drive....
That thing is killer, I'm always top three into a game.....and that's when I've got 30 people in the server to compete with.
Assassins creed loading screen for example, where you endlessly walk in that void space. On my PS3 I can go for a mini adventure, on my PC I can barely jump into the air before I'm tossed into the game.

As for OCZ, I worked at the local CanadaComputers :D
We had them on sale all week, every week. And the reason?
Those things had glitches / recalls out the ass.
As stated before, stick with the intel (even though I'm not an intel fan personally) if you want the top notch ssd on the market.