Fuck! BSOD @ Splash Screen

TurboTaco

TD Admin
Playing some L4D2 late last night and all of a sudden, my game gets laggy/stuttery. It wasn't from actual internet lag, but processor lag. So I turn off my computer for awhile, come back to restart and I get a BSOD at the windows load up screen and it automatically restarts to repeat the same thing over and over again.

I disabled auto-restart @ fail and got this:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Stop: 0X000000ED and random shit in brackets after that.

Is my HDD fucked or did my comp just have a fart n require a repair? Man...I was just about to transfer a ton of files onto my new external HD too...FML if the HD died.

Narf!

TD Admin
Take your drive out, put it into a drive enclosure and connect it to another Windows machine to see if you can see your files. If so, it's probably your MBR that got fucked and you should transfer those files out before attempting to fix it. If you can't see the drive...FYL.

EDIT: Chances are it's the former as Windows *is* trying to boot and it's Windows that's giving you that BSOD. When my drive died, it just didn't show in the BIOS.

TurboTaco

TD Admin
You think it could be the motherboard? Fack, that sux, but it isn't as bad as a dead HD. What do you mean put it into a drive enclosure? I'm gonna take it to a friend's place who has a comp shop...hopefully he'll do what you suggested. I'll let him know to try n see if my HDD is fine first too.

Using Asus P5Q Deluxe Mobo...i don't smell anything burnt like NB/SB Chips.

Narf!

TD Admin
Well, a external HDD is just a regular hard drive + power + USB connector. Um, I have one of -these- for times like this -- just dock the drive in and it's treated as an external HDD w/out the hassle of screws like most drive enclosures. If you happen to be in the TDot area again, I can lend it to you.

I don't think it's the motherboard although I rarely see motherboards dying so I wouldn't know the symptoms beyond the smell of burnt chips either.

TurboTaco

TD Admin
Fucking fate has a way of shitting in my face.

When u said MBR u didn't mean motherboard? whats MBR then? 8Þ

dead mike

TD Member, Legend, Puncher of Faces, Chatbox King
you need to hack the mbr, basically pull htat off the drive, put it in notepad, figure it out, and re copy it back your hard drive and everything should be fine. or backup everything you can and reinstall windows.

i would get a live boot cd like puppy linux or ubuntu you can get on (mount) your hard drive that way and just copy the shit off through network or somthing no need to disconnect the hard drive moving things around.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-4.3.1/pup-431.iso

it's 100mb cd to burn could save you some headaches

TurboTaco

TD Admin
Yeah, just read up on that now :\ I really hope it is just a simple repair problem...but why would this error occur outta the blue unless my hd really is starting to die :( I haven't changed any settings or gotten any virus. bleh...i'll figure it out

Narf!

TD Admin
Some things just happen. My machine was running fine as well. I shut it down, went on vacation, came back from vacation, turned it on and BAM! sorry, you only have 1 drive in your RAID0

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
Just to weed out any mobo issues.
google image search for "blown capacitor" should give you images of working and blown Capacitors.

Try and find similar capacitor type to your mobo and see if anything is busted.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Ya and you don't need to "hack" shit, with respect to your MBR. Use a windows disk, and use the "bootrec/ fixmbr" command in DOS-Prompt (when you boot from Windows DVD and choose to repair, you can access this option) and you'll be good - IF it's the MBR.