Follow buckshotjr's Liquid Cooling Adventure!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by OG buckshot jr, May 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 365 days old. Therefore, it is better than any of the shit that gets posted nowadays.
  1. Stan Radner

Stan Radner DARKLY Regular

Your sig made me laugh
  2. $alvador

$alvador TD Member

well.. good. we can all use a good laugh
  3. OG buckshot jr

OG buckshot jr TD Admin

Necro.....

Starting out:
    [​IMG]
    Graphics card (had two, at one point but sold it cause SLI = useless):
    [​IMG]
    GPU disassembled:
    [​IMG]
    Better View:
    [​IMG]
    Close up of GPU PCB:
    [​IMG]
    GPU Chip cleaned up with alcohol:
    [​IMG]
    New thermal pads placed over VRAM (surrounding GPU) and MOSFET power supplies (6 of them towards bottom, 3 and 3):
    [​IMG]
    New paste on GPU:
    [​IMG]
    Block aligned with a few screws first, then rest go in:
    [​IMG]
    Back of GPU for reference:
    [​IMG]
    Checking gap, if any. Making sure thermal pads have contact:
    [​IMG]
  4. OG buckshot jr

OG buckshot jr TD Admin

Temporary labels for Sata cables. This helped a lot. That's a large, old mouse pad I worked on, no static and soft so no damage to shit:
    [​IMG]
    The baggy that contained the screws for GPU water block - put all of the original screws right back in:
    [​IMG]
    SATA cables labelled:
    [​IMG]
    Starting to route shit, at a high-level:
    [​IMG]
    CPU back-plate to start:
    [​IMG]
    Side-view:
    [​IMG]
    Clean CPU placed in:
    [​IMG]
    Thermal paste applied:
    [​IMG]
    CPU water block being mounted on the peg screws:
    [​IMG]
    Tightening opposite corners little by little, like lugnuts on a vehicle:
    [​IMG]
    Mounted showing inlet and outlet ports. Apparently you can use either or, but I used center for inlet; off-set center for outlet:
    [​IMG]
    Different view to more clearly show inlet (left) and outlet (right) that I chose. That silver/metal elliptical shape around the center [inside] is a water spreader - there are four types, depending on what CPU you get. They're incredibly effective:
    [​IMG]
    Full View of Mobo - getting there!:
    [​IMG]
  5. OG buckshot jr

OG buckshot jr TD Admin

Case Disassembly:

Bye-bye :):
    [​IMG]
    Full-view as shit comes apart:
    [​IMG]
    I put case screws back in, less to lose. You'll be surprised at the mess and sheer number of parts/screws/other lying around as you disassemble and build - every little bit helps:
    [​IMG]
    Stock front case grill - those trays are coming out:
    [​IMG]
    Inside front view of more shit coming out:
    [​IMG]
    Front grill re-worked:
    [​IMG]
    Top view - emptied out, readying for radiator:
    [​IMG]
    Front view:
    [​IMG]
    View or working area - this is what I meant by how much space you'll need and how much shit ends up everywhere. I cleaned as I went from section to section; like GPU, CPU/mobo, case disassembly etc:
    [​IMG]
    Mounting radiator - watching as I screw in screws to make sure they don't penetrate radiator fins:
    [​IMG]
    Side view of mounted radiator:
    [​IMG]
    Front view of mounted radiator. The yellow plugs are temporary and illustrate where I've chosen to have the inlet/outlet plugs located (at the front):
    [​IMG]
    Wider side view looking towards front (right):
    [​IMG]
    Dual-bay reservoir with Laing D5 Vario Pump attached. Figuring out which outlet to use:
    [​IMG]
    Turns out you have one option, so it's mounted with a 90degree to shoot up to radiator. All fittings are Bitspower, black chrome compression fittings. Nothing but the very best:
    [​IMG]
    Inlet - again, a 90degree because my loop would go: pump->Reservoir->CPU->GPU1->GPU2->Reservoir. GPU2 was not in this build; I added it later, then removed it again. I'll find pics of it later:
    [​IMG]
    Front view of reservoir mounted, as well as LCD temperature screens:
    [​IMG]
    Inside view after mounting pump, LCD screens etc. All wiring is temporary until all is mounted. I like to route cables last once everything is in place. I'll post updated pics after:
    [​IMG]
    This was my way of measuring tubing. Primitive as fuck, but surprisingly on my first ever liquid cooling build, I did not have to re-cut any piece of tubing :D:
    [​IMG]
    After connecting all tubing, I mounted the Power Supply. While leaving the power supply disconnected from everything, I jumped the power supply so I could turn it on when I needed as I filled liquid:
    [​IMG]
  6. OG buckshot jr

OG buckshot jr TD Admin

I bought smaller tubing (can't remember inner/outer diameter, but I'll check later) and a turkey baster and connected them. Pro Tips, son, write this shit down..:
    [​IMG]
    The turkey baster acted like a small funnel, as well as an easy way for me to suck up bubbles as I filled the reservoir:
    [​IMG]
    The general guide is this:

1. Fill Reservoir
    2. Turn on PSU to activate pump
    3. Immediately shut off PSU once reservoir gets low
    4. Refill reservoir
    5. Repeat 1-4 until constant flow
    Never run pump dry, you will break the pump. This is no joke.
    That said, I used a measuring cup as I filled it so I could tell how much my custom loop would use. This would help me when emptying the loop and cleaning it, to know what to expect:
    [​IMG]
    Front view of reservoir (it's got a clear tube in the middle that allowed me to slide an LED light strip in it - I couldn't resist..). The bubbles there are from a solution I used to combat corrosion. I use nothing but distilled water and a basic anti-corrosion additive. This is where the turkey baster allowed me to suck the bubbles right from the top:
    [​IMG]
    Bubbles = inefficiency, so what I did was turn my pump up fairly high to force shit out while moving my parts around. The CPU, since its attached to the case, I would pick up my hole case and hold it at different angles to help get CPU bubbles out. Here's a pick of me rotating and shaking GPU:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last method is time.. left it run for a while, you're wasting next to no electricity and because your pc is actually not on (remember, the PSU is only connected to - and thus only powering - the pump), it's great to let it run a few hours. This is also good to find leaks, which I've never had because of compression fittings. They're worth their weight in gold, and easily are worth their $120 price tag for this build:
    [​IMG]
    Eventually, I re-routed cables (boring and I took no pics of it, but I promise I'll show updated pics of my case tomorrow) and got it all together to take some pics at night. The tubingis blue, but reactive to UV light. I laid two 30cm/1ft LED strips in my case, so tubing looks white-ish:
    [​IMG]
    Side angle of it closed up:
    [​IMG]
    Close up of side:
    [​IMG]

I'll come back to update this thread with:
    1. How it looked with SLI and how I chose to tube it
    2. Update tubing as it is today
    3. Updated pics of cable routing etc. as it is today
    4. Start a new thread on how to clean a loop out - very, very important!!
    5. Start a new thread on the cable sleeving I'm now doing, as well case mods, paint, PSU painting etc.!

I'm never done modding :) Cheers
    TankClash likes this.
  7. TankClash

TankClash TF2 Staff | Chief Peon

Noice....... ya'know those magnetic bowls and mini white boards are handy for.... screws and shit or scrap IED HDD magnets work too for making your own.
    OG buckshot jr likes this.
  8. OG buckshot jr

OG buckshot jr TD Admin

For sure! I have two of them in my garage. However, I neglected to use them because I wanted to keep 'sets' of screws together; for example, GPU screws together, cpu screws, case screws, mobo screws, liquid blocks (GPU and CPU) etc. I work very neatly. It costs me time, but well worth it. My method is using the baggy for new sets of screws to bag the old set.
Thread Status:
This thread is more than 365 days old. Therefore, it is better than any of the shit that gets posted nowadays.