• Guest, This Forum is Strictly Moderated!

Please read the rules before participating in this forum: READ ME Serious F'n Business - Forum / Moderation Rules

If you do not agree with the rules of this forum, and do not plan to abide by them, then do not participate. Threads or posts that do not belong in this forum will be moved, edited, or deleted at the discretion of the Moderators. Repeated failure to follow the rules will result in banishment from the Serious F'n Business forum.

Be good to each other.

Continuing Education - edX

Pyro

TD Admin
Want to be involved in something that will likely explode in popularity in the next decade, and learn something useful while doing it?

If you haven't heard already, check this out: https://www.edx.org/

"EdX is a not-for-profit enterprise of its founding partners Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology that features learning designed specifically for interactive study via the web."

It took me a few minutes to register for CS50x - Introduction to Computer Science, which is accessible on Monday the 15th. There are no prerequisites or prior knowledge needed for this course. The whole thing seems to be springing up from the Khan Academy -ish free education videos available on YouTube. The biggest challenge they are going to face is being able to sustain a model like this as not-for-profit. Either way, I'm interested to see how good the course is and hopefully learn something about programming.

I wonder, are any other DARKLY fags interested in something like this?

TurboTaco

TD Admin
Heard about this awhile ago from a Time article. I think its great, even revolutionary. Its like good will hunting, a $100k education for pennies from the local library. While it wont provide u the 'credits' for a degree, the info n education provided is on par with any other student physically enrolled. Another beauty n marvel of the potential the internet has for everyone globally

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
Pretty cool! I am gonna check out intro to CS!

Beats paying $400+ at a local College or $600+ at a local uni for the same course!

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I've been learning programming and science (generally, advanced physics and chemistry) off of MIT youtube lectures for over a year. It's amazing.

Now that something like this is available, I'll definitely be checking in, thanks Pyro!

TurboTaco

TD Admin
while you don't get credits towards an actual harvard/mit degree, successful students in this course do receive an certificate of completion honoured by HarvardX/MITX/BerkleyX which is pretty fucking boss to add to your resume/accredidations. You can say you completed a harvard/mit/berkley level course

Braden

I'm New Here
I dont have time just now but I will definitely be having a serious look at the content available there and follow my nose to some more learning! Will post again once I have a chance to check it out but thanks for bringing it here else I might not have heard about it!