Contemplating New Build But....

TurboTaco

TD Admin
I've not been payin much attention to new tech recently, but with my Q6600 OC pushing its limits and becoming a bottleneck on game performance I have been thinking about building something new.

I wanted to know if anyone knew of any new chipsets coming out soon that may drive the prices of current 'high end' cpus down. Like Glock, I would prefer to build a great rig that will last another 3-5 years and I wanted to know if anyone knew a good 'time' to start buying the parts.

Thoughts, opinions, please.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
So far I think the best bet is the 3770K, I think? Pair that bad boy with a nice 2011 board with some quad-channel ram and a good GPU with some SSDeesnuts, fml.. you'll be gold. I'm still on my 3570K and the thing is rockin absolutely everything I can throw at it, so no complaints yet...

TurboTaco

TD Admin
yea i think the 3770K is goin for about 300-350 now. I will still probably keep my Asus GTX570 DirectCu2 since it's still got lots of potential and can be OC'd if need be...but then I might also buy a new GPU if the price/performance is right.

I'mma check out pc part picker n upload a build to have u guys scrutinize

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
If 3770K is too much, get my chip. There's not too much difference, to be honest. Shit will still rock all the games out there...

TurboTaco

TD Admin
my main question tho was if anything new from intel/amd is coming up in the near future that may drop the 3570k/3770K down a nifty margin that's worthwhile to hold off on for now

Glocky

Drinking your tears
So far I think the best bet is the 3770K, I think? Pair that bad boy with a nice 2011 board with some quad-channel ram and a good GPU with some SSDeesnuts, fml.. you'll be gold. I'm still on my 3570K and the thing is rockin absolutely everything I can throw at it, so no complaints yet...
lololololololololololololol

2011 socket is a X79 board, it is not for quad cpus like the 3770K, but for express cpus like Sandy-E and IvY-E

Typos aside...

Taco, you're looking at a mobo/cpu upgrade. If you had Ivy, then there's no point for Haswell (looking at you Jr), but since don't, then your budget should dictate either Ivy-E or Haswell; with your needs finalizing the pic.

All gaming with single top GPU or duel mid to high-GPUs, Haswell 4670K
Gaming with single top GPU or duel mid to high-GPUs and other stuff like video editing of said gaming, 4770K
Gaming with duel, triple top GPU and other stuff like video editing Ivy-E as high as your budget goes

Set it and forget it? 4770K + Swiftech H320 or H220 or Corsair H100i + GTX 780/R9 290X or 780ti and compatible name brand mobo (Asus, Giga, MSI, etc.) = 5 years of gaming with one GPU swap... maybe or add a second card.

$alvador

TD Member
I've not been payin much attention to new tech recently, but with my Q6600 OC pushing its limits and becoming a bottleneck on game performance I have been thinking about building something new.

I wanted to know if anyone knew of any new chipsets coming out soon that may drive the prices of current 'high end' cpus down. Like Glock, I would prefer to build a great rig that will last another 3-5 years and I wanted to know if anyone knew a good 'time' to start buying the parts.

Thoughts, opinions, please.

IME Boxing Day is the only truly good time to ever buy parts. Intel is crazy stingy with price drops anyway, they're like the Apple of microchips, if not worse. If I were to upgrade right now, I'd splurge on a high-spec LGA 1150 board, which supports the latest Intel microarchitecture (Haswell) and also the next gen (Broadwell). For now you could get a cheap Haswell i3 chip for $125 and still milk performance gains over the C2Q, and then when Broadwell comes along in 2015 you would just need to budget for a new CPU and maybe GPU to keep up for another few years.

Any newer system you buy now will come with hardware bus upgrades your current mobo likely doesn't support (USB 3, SATA 3, DDR3 RAM) so would have to budget for basically all new parts. But yeah, keep an eye out on Boxing Day you might be able to snag a whole kit of parts for a huge discount altogether.

TurboTaco

TD Admin
yea, the only reason i want to plan a new build is cuz upgrades are starting to become less viable with my mobo. Q6600 + P5Q deluxe...i will miss thee

Reactions: 47