Can anyone help or give some advice on me overclocking my rig?

Ba Chicka Wa Wa

TD Member
Running a Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz with 4.00 GB on windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Not sure of my mother board. I know the basics of how to change it and seen a lot of info on web of people getting a stable system at 3.6. Only thing that scares me is changing the voltage and not sure what two programs to use. Thinking orthos and everest or real temp.

From what I understand you get into BIOS unlock it (not sure how, maybe set to auto then back to manual?) change the two numbers and try running your system. If it runs, good, if not set amp up one until it runs fine just don't go anywhere near 5. Run the stress test and keep an eye on the temp and make sure it doesn't go over 60c ?

If anyone has any thoughts or hints or tricks or help I'd greatly appreciate it. Trying to be back into CS Go and need a little more cause 40 fps are not cutting it and can't afford new system.

Oh and overclocking video card soon too have a GeForce 9500 GT but think its the 512 cause it was only 50 like 2 years ago.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. My one piece of advice is to ignore these forums, and do this:

1 ) Google your cpu overclock -> You'll find others who have already done so successfully and at what settings/temps. This will give you a good starting point (every cpu is different, but at least you'll be in the neighbourhood of a stable overclock)
2 ) Read this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251940-29-overclocking-e7400

It's a thread that already has everything you need to know.

By taking my advice, you avoid a massive amount of flame and misinformation.
Enjoy!

EDIT: Do not overclock your GPU. You'll notice fuck all for performance gain, and it will fry - quickly. Worst comes to worst, you can afford $100 on a half-decent, CS:GO ready video card.

Ba Chicka Wa Wa

TD Member
i have read a lot and people get a 3.2 and a 3.6 stead and i have what they used written down with amp change. really don't think 2.8-3.6 will really help?

just not sure if i wanna spend 100 on a video card if its not gonna help. Not sure what's really holding me down video card or proc/mb

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
thats what i did. found some dude's oc settings and tweaked the voltage down as much as i could

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Overclocking cpu will help, overclocking video card will not. Try some settings, watch your heat (I've always liked 55C under full synthetic load to be my top).

To monitor heat: CoreTemp
To run load tests: Prime95
To monitor voltage and clock speed: Cpu-Z

1 ) Open CPU-Z, write down voltage (this will be your stock value)
2 ) Go to BIOS, change voltage to manual, and set it one setting higher than what CPU-Z showed in step 1
3 ) Up your FSB (Front-Side Bus) 2 settings higher, save, reboot, test (prime95 to test, cpu-Z to show clocks, coretemp to see temp)
4 ) Rinse and repeat until stock voltage craps out (Blue Screen of Death). Once this happens, up voltage two settings, then repeat 1-3 until new voltage gives out.

Once you reach max clock/stability/temp (whichever first limits your overclock), you're done. Once you think you're done, run prime95 for a few hours, watching heat and stability. If shit fails, you need a touch more voltage or a touch less overclock - your call.

That's it in a nutshell.

Pro Tip: A notepad and paper with columes for voltage (BIOS VALUE, NOT CPU-Z VALUE - they'll differ slightly) and FSB clock to keep track of things and you're good to go.

Enjoy! :D

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
don't mess with multiplier at all just up it at the fsb?
What's the range of your multiplier?

EDIT: Ah fuck it.

Do this:

DISABLE
  • Spread Spectrum (disable anything that says it)
  • Intel Speedstep, EIST, or Enhanced Intel Speedstep
  • C1E Enhanced Halt State, or anything that says "C1E" or "C1" in the name.
  • CPU Thermal Control, or anything that has options of "TM1", "TM2", and "TM1 & TM2".
vCORE (cpu voltage) = around 1.3-1.35
Multiplier = 10
FSB = 350

Speed = Multiplier x FSB, therefore: 10x350=3.5GhZ.

If it's stable, drop voltage by two increments. Test again. Repeat until stable.

If it's not stable = up voltage by two increments. Test again.

Rinse and repeat until stable, and you're happy with temps. If you can't get it stable where temps are ok (anything under 60C while 100% load from Prime95 test is ok = temps will be much lower while gaming because no game will give you anything close to load of Prime95) = drop your fsb a bit, say to 340. Repeat stable/not stable steps until you achieve stability at good temperature.

TurboTaco

TD Admin
Btw, if u have a stock intel hsf, do not bother attempting a cpu oc or you will end up buyig a new cpu and possibly mobi

Ba Chicka Wa Wa

TD Member
hey wanna shoot me a text ill send you pic of my fan looks pretty big had a buddy build this so it might not be normal., GaySexHotLine...248-376-7790

Ba Chicka Wa Wa

TD Member
not sure if i have stock fan, i didn't build this rig traded my old one for it. just went in bios to look around causei can't find my mb info, and i have auto/manual/and oc profiles where it less me choose 5-30%

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
You don't need your fuckin mobo model!!

Just pop the side of the case open, if the fan says "Intel" on it, and it's a small piece of shit, then it's stock and no good for overclocking. Simple.