Alienware or Custom Build?

14bux

Senior TF2 Admin
Just today, my computer (if it can be called that) stopped working. Unfortunately, this means a hiatus on games until I can get hold of a replacement. At first, I was going to build my own out of parts, but was reluctant due to not knowing the best parts. I've built a computer before, but it was like 10 years ago and ran on Windows Vista. Given this, I have no knowledge of current parts. However, I watched Alienware's conference at E3 and believe that they were nice gaming specs, even on the low end of their price, $1100 or their dual graphics card for $2100. I thought I'd better get an opinion on the subject, though. Any suggestions?

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Custom Build.

Alienware is nice, but you are paying for the brand, the preloaded bloatware, and a computer that doesn't warrant the price. I have an Alienware m17x laptop. It's great for schoolwork, but after a little gaming, it starts to slow down.

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
alienware is a scam and multiple gpu's are the scam of the decade.

out of all the parts, mobo is hardest to pick, just pick ones that have features u want, in your price range and read reviews by nerds. everything else is either preference or obvious.

some shit can be reused: dvd drive, case if not piece of shit, psu if at least 600w.

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
You can build the exact same thing as an Alienware for a lot less. They're nice, but overpriced. Putting together a computer can be difficult, especially if you have no experience or if you don't have an extra set of hands, but it saves you loads of money and allows more customization. If you feel nervous about it, find someone else's build online that you know works together.

Shotgun Jesus

TD Admin
Staff member
THE-DELL-GUY-PIC-1317923142.jpg
Dude, you're getting a Dell.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Just today, my computer (if it can be called that) stopped working. Unfortunately, this means a hiatus on games until I can get hold of a replacement. At first, I was going to build my own out of parts, but was reluctant due to not knowing the best parts. I've built a computer before, but it was like 10 years ago and ran on Windows Vista. Given this, I have no knowledge of current parts. However, I watched Alienware's conference at E3 and believe that they were nice gaming specs, even on the low end of their price, $1100 or their dual graphics card for $2100. I thought I'd better get an opinion on the subject, though. Any suggestions?
If you can't tell the difference between 6 years (when Vista was released) and 10 years, you might as well get a Dell/Alienware.

Jokes aside, custom build is not the same as build yourself, I don't really know any custom pc builders in the USA though.

Zavine

DARKLY Regular
If you can't tell the difference between 6 years (when Vista was released) and 10 years, you might as well get a Dell/Alienware.

Jokes aside, custom build is not the same as build yourself, I don't really know any custom pc builders in the USA though.

What he said

Custom built is always cheaper. I'd definitely research or maybe find someone who can build/make it for you and you pay them plus a fee for their services. Alienware is nice, but it's for people without the knowledge to build one yourself.

14bux

Senior TF2 Admin
Yeah, I was probably gonna go out and get a custom anyhow, but Alienware seemed nice. Now that someone from Dell recommended Alienware, I'm going with a self-built one. :yaoming:

If I wanted to, I could get one custom built for me through some friends if I pay them. I'm gonna end up doing that, most likely.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
Custom built is always cheaper. I'd definitely research or maybe find someone who can build/make it for you and you pay them plus a fee for their services. Alienware is nice, but it's for people without the knowledge to build one yourself.

it actually for the people without the knowledge to know they are overpaying by $500+ dollars for a meh level bloatware rig

it actually for the people without the knowledge to know they are overpaying by $500+ dollars for a meh level bloatware rig

Haha, you're totally right! What's your opinion on Macs though. Personally, they are just glorified pieces of crap painted white with crap specs and an expensive price tag.

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
Haha, you're totally right! What's your opinion on Macs though. Personally, they are just glorified pieces of crap painted white with crap specs and an expensive price tag.

As a company, I find Apple despicable regarding their marketing and financial practices. In terms of their actual products and their products alone, it's really just a matter of preference. Some people prefer the hardware for valid reasons, and I respect people who like the OS over Windows for its flexibility being based off of Unix or require it for artistic development.

As a company, I find Apple despicable regarding their marketing and financial practices. In terms of their actual products and their products alone, it's really just a matter of preference. Some people prefer the hardware for valid reasons, and I respect people who like the OS over Windows for its flexibility being based off of Unix or require it for artistic development.

Good points. I'll admit that Apple definitely was quite innovated with their products. However, I feel like they continue to repackage the same product but with some additional bells and whistles.