47: Time for a new GPU

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
i am running an LGA1366 i7 build with this mobo: http://www.evga.com/articles/00481/

I will be running this mobo for at least 2 more years. Looking for a sick gpu that will last me a while, but nothing overkill.

looking to buy from canadacomputers or tiger.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
I am running the same proc and a like mobo to 47. I am also looking to upgrade my GPU. No more than $250.. just want to get this baby thru for 2.5 more years and build a new one. I am not obsessive with maxing out graphics, and I only have a 60hz monitor.

no preferenxe. looking for a successful chip

i want this card to last until i need to change my system

Hinouchi

TD Admin
I'm trying to build a $500 desktop for my bro, might be able to score a GTX 660ti for $160 second hand :)

Glocky

Drinking your tears
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1720725/gtx-770-pci-x16-bottleneck.html

Depending on the resolution you game at, no reduction to slight reduction in FPS because you are on PCI-e 2.0 vs 3.0.
nVidia cards handle the backward PCI-e compatibility a little better, but it would only matter if you were running 1.0 or 1.1 haha

Not knowing your price range, I will give you a response by tier (eliminating all double GPU cards, and crazy expensive like Titan and 780ti):
(sales or bundled games could break ties for you)

$550ish With the recent price drops, you can get GTX780 non-reference premium brands (Asus DCUII, MSI Gaming, Gigabyte Windforce) for the same price as reference R9 290x, so the recommendation must be the GTX780. *IF* you have good ventilation and don't mind the extra noise, and are comfortable overclocking your GPU, the R9 290 is a cheaper alternative. That said, with those same conditions, all premium brand 780s overclock very well too.
GTX780 has 3GB vram vs the 290 or 290x's 4GB

$450ish R9 290

$300-350 - GTX770 or 280x, premium brands, the performance once overclocked should be comparable, the GTX770 is generally more, but is also generally quieter and cooler basically a team red or team green preference and the 280x has 3GB vram to the 770's 2GB

$220-290 - GTX760 or 270X - same as above except both have 2GB vram

In a nutshell, if you ignore power consumption, heat and noise as considerations, the new R9 cards are generally slightly cheaper than the comparable GTX700 series equivalent. If you factor them in, nVidia generally use less power, and produce less heat and noise.
So you need to figure if paying x% more $ for y% more performance is worth it to you. Yes = nVidia, No = AMD

If your case / cooling solutions suck, whichever you choose, look for an exhaust style card to get the heat out of your case, they are available in team red or team green.

If in your new system in 2? years you are going to replace everything, then go towards the lower end of GPU now, if you plan to migrate this card over, go towards the higher end and wait on a sale to xfire/sli in the new rig.

$alvador

TD Member
Get the most bitchin card you can, what's a thousand bucks when it's an investment in the future of... um... why is your wife frowning at me?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1720725/gtx-770-pci-x16-bottleneck.html

Depending on the resolution you game at, no reduction to slight reduction in FPS because you are on PCI-e 2.0 vs 3.0.
nVidia cards handle the backward PCI-e compatibility a little better, but it would only matter if you were running 1.0 or 1.1 haha

Not knowing your price range, I will give you a response by tier (eliminating all double GPU cards, and crazy expensive like Titan and 780ti):
(sales or bundled games could break ties for you)

$550ish With the recent price drops, you can get GTX780 non-reference premium brands (Asus DCUII, MSI Gaming, Gigabyte Windforce) for the same price as reference R9 290x, so the recommendation must be the GTX780. *IF* you have good ventilation and don't mind the extra noise, and are comfortable overclocking your GPU, the R9 290 is a cheaper alternative. That said, with those same conditions, all premium brand 780s overclock very well too.
GTX780 has 3GB vram vs the 290 or 290x's 4GB

$450ish R9 290

$300-350 - GTX770 or 280x, premium brands, the performance once overclocked should be comparable, the GTX770 is generally more, but is also generally quieter and cooler basically a team red or team green preference and the 280x has 3GB vram to the 770's 2GB

$220-290 - GTX760 or 270X - same as above except both have 2GB vram

In a nutshell, if you ignore power consumption, heat and noise as considerations, the new R9 cards are generally slightly cheaper than the comparable GTX700 series equivalent. If you factor them in, nVidia generally use less power, and produce less heat and noise.
So you need to figure if paying x% more $ for y% more performance is worth it to you. Yes = nVidia, No = AMD

If your case / cooling solutions suck, whichever you choose, look for an exhaust style card to get the heat out of your case, they are available in team red or team green.

If in your new system in 2? years you are going to replace everything, then go towards the lower end of GPU now, if you plan to migrate this card over, go towards the higher end and wait on a sale to xfire/sli in the new rig.

im using a haf932 case. the GTX 770 seems to be in my price range. what is "reference" , "green team" and "red team"? i dont want a really loud card. if it can overclock without making too much noise, then its a bonus. i run all games in 1080. i might want to buy a 120hz + monitor someday too. this rig is probably going to last much longer than my previous estimate of 2 years, maybe 4.

found this one here: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_1200_557_559&item_id=061098

this one is 4GB : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125462

TurboTaco

TD Admin
reference card means the gpu manufacturer (Asus, MSI, whoever) build the video card to the exact specifications of the original card made by nvidia/amd which pretty much means its shit

Glocky

Drinking your tears
reference card means the gpu manufacturer (Asus, MSI, whoever) build the video card to the exact specifications of the original card made by nvidia/amd which pretty much means its shit
Yep, stock cooling included.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
770 is best value. Anything else is too close to 770's price and less good, and other shit is way more expensive and 1% better. It's easy choice.