State of the game

STERLINGARCHER

DARKLY Regular
I can agree with that. I believe both 1.6 and cs:s made it to console, but that was years after they released on PC, just ports.

Valve in their infinite wisdom thought CS:GO would be the perfect way/time to release their own CoD/BF cross platform garbage heap. Although for the life of me I haven't met one single consolefag who's played CS:GO. Way to go Gabe.

thats the biggest issue with CSGO, it was created for console (by HPE not valve) to compete with COD and then ported over to PC. Valve then took over development and although it still has a looong way to go they have made vast improvements to the game play and if the esports scene continues to grow CSGO will get more valve resources for development

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
The problem with the idea that CS:GO is fucked up because it was originally conceived as a multi-platform title is that most of the frame rate and networking issues that CS:GO has had only started to come up when Valve took over development duties from HPE. CS:GO was fucked up in plenty of other ways at launch that were mostly gameplay related in nature. And to Valve's credit, they've addressed many of these gameplay issues (while also introducing the aforementioned problems).

amanshotme

TD Member
Just wanted to add a fun fact if you haven't already wikied it. CSGO started out as CSS port for xbox live arcade. Anyhow one positive thing I would like to add about GO is how Dreamhack 2013 was funded through the esports Key money. I will probably flesh out this idea later ...food coma is settling in....

--EDIT oh dammit, Archer already mentioned CSGO starting out as a console game ...oh w/e

Macido

DARKLY Regular
Game is certainly not perfect, but what game really is. All I care about is if I'm having fun on a regular basis, and it seems most PC gamers are as well..
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/25/v...me-the-second-most-played-game-on-steam/#null
"The recent EMS One Katowice tourney seemed to skyrocket CS:GO’s peak concurrent users by 50 or 60,000. Without access to numbers for Battlefield 4 and other games, we’re left to assume that CS:GO’s 2.2 million monthly unique players are enough to make it the most popular multiplayer shooter on PC."

It would seem the future success of CS:GO is strongly linked to E-sports, and custom guns which fund and feed each other. The more people playing, the stronger the community and the better the game environment online.

LOL might not be a great game to me or DOTA2 players, but it's success can't be shrugged off as it's the most popular game on PC by a long shot. I guess I'm just disappointing by the maturity of the people on this forum, I thought It would reflect the good people I play with on the CS:GO TD server, I suppose I should be happy they don't play CS:GO as it would probably resemble the call of duty scene.

MetalLobster

TD Admin
Game is certainly not perfect, but what game really is. All I care about is if I'm having fun on a regular basis, and it seems most PC gamers are as well..
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/25/v...me-the-second-most-played-game-on-steam/#null
"The recent EMS One Katowice tourney seemed to skyrocket CS:GO’s peak concurrent users by 50 or 60,000. Without access to numbers for Battlefield 4 and other games, we’re left to assume that CS:GO’s 2.2 million monthly unique players are enough to make it the most popular multiplayer shooter on PC."

It would seem the future success of CS:GO is strongly linked to E-sports, and custom guns which fund and feed each other. The more people playing, the stronger the community and the better the game environment online.

LOL might not be a great game to me or DOTA2 players, but it's success can't be shrugged off as it's the most popular game on PC by a long shot. I guess I'm just disappointing by the maturity of the people on this forum, I thought It would reflect the good people I play with on the CS:GO TD server, I suppose I should be happy they don't play CS:GO as it would probably resemble the call of duty scene.

I disagree with the green point, because games that have lasted many years after their devs dropped support, like WC3, SC:BW and CS1.6, were made popular by the the community-run dedicated servers. E-sports among these games did not pick-up until about half-way into the game's life cycle and the increase in players were mainly regional. For instance, SC:BW was considered a success worldwide, but the e-sports scene was for the most part, in Korea. The same goes for WC3 and 1.6, except in China and Europe respectively. I've used to follow SC:BW and was amazed to see their star-league finals fill large stadiums that easily surpass the LOL audience today, but that is just a speck of the total players. Point is, it's communities like Darkly, plus the fun dedicated servers, that kept these games alive for so long and the e-sports scene surround their respective game was a mere sprinkle topping on a massive cake. Also, I find current numbers somewhat deceiving, because games that promote e-sports these days integrate them into the game itself. This leads to some people clicking on streams just based off curiosity or even by accident, however they still count as concurrent views. LOL is especially guilty of this, because AFAIK, the stream is right in your face when you boot the game.

As for Blue, a popular game does not dictate that it's a good or successful game. LOL is popular, but so is COD, BF, DOTA and so on. Is it popular because of the great mechanics? Because its F2P? Because of good marketing? What is successful? Is it breaking X users, or making Y dollars? Is it a technical success? You really have to specify when dealing with terms like these, otherwise it's not much different than a typical YouTube fanboy post. I'm not attacking your opinion, just your logic here.

Red, shots fired!

MetalLobster

TD Admin
The problem with the idea that CS:GO is fucked up because it was originally conceived as a multi-platform title is that most of the frame rate and networking issues that CS:GO has had only started to come up when Valve took over development duties from HPE. CS:GO was fucked up in plenty of other ways at launch that were mostly gameplay related in nature. And to Valve's credit, they've addressed many of these gameplay issues (while also introducing the aforementioned problems).

I did not know that. Of all the game devs out there, I did not think Valve would shit on their core audience like that. Why did Valve follow this garbage trend all devs seem to be doing nowadays? Why Valve, why?!

Fork Included

TD Admin

context

did you play 1.3? Were you there when vent a "new thing"? When source hit?

A lot of us remember what is was LIKE, and but little was improved upon.. over a decade has passed and they haven't been able to get back on track.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
How can anyone really believe there are 2.2 million unique CSGO players when the game can be purchased for $2.50 and there is a reason to account farm for weapon drops.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
How can anyone really believe there are 2.2 million unique CSGO players when the game can be purchased for $2.50 and there is a reason to account farm for weapon drops.

Those same people believe that there exists 540,000,000 people using Google +. What they don't realize, however, is that every G-mail account generated is automatically forced to use Google+, without warning. It's all relative ;)

MetalLobster

TD Admin
Those same people believe that there exists 540,000,000 people using Google +. What they don't realize, however, is that every G-mail account generated is automatically forced to use Google+, without warning. It's all relative ;)

Blame the shitty and CPI-driven journalists out there.

Macido

DARKLY Regular
CSGO is to laggy IMO. It's slowly deteriorated over time.
Note: I do not have a shitty PC.

I felt this way too for months, but i narrowed it down to just TD's Toronto server as the largest factor in the problem. All other servers are fine for me personally.
If this is the reason tyt and ace don't play here much anymore, that's really disappointing to hear.

this thread is intense

I think it's cause some people here have a hard time handling anything above a dick joke.
TD's always had drama, I remember Aqueitus and the entire Darkly community split at one point into another "resistance" squad.
They had their own mirror website and everything, the entire competitive team just left.
Just too much anger and hate online. I take back my marijuana comments, u guys need it LOL

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
I think it's cause some people here have a hard time handling anything above a dick joke.
TD's always had drama, I remember Aqueitus and the entire Darkly community split at one point into another "resistance" squad.
They had their own mirror website and everything, the entire competitive team just left.
Just too much anger and hate online. I take back my marijuana comments, u guys need it LOL

Aeq had nothing to do with NR.

btw when TNR crashed in a ball of flames, everyone came crawling back :smug:

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Ya, not to mention you're actually talking about WTF, not nR. And WTF had nothing but people from Buffalo and people who were banned from TD. The 'competitive' teams were always here. Never remember seeing your name around though...

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
He said mirror site and everything, that's what makes me think of WTF. nR had shit forums, nothing like ours. WTF was basically a copy-paste lol