[Solved] Disk Consistency/Errors

Khârn the Betrayer

DARKLY Regular
About 2 days ago (and also about 30 minutes ago) after closing a new MMO I've been playing (Skyforge, good fun) I opened steam, and when the pop-ups of people in-game appeared my PC starting running ever so slowly.

For example it would take fucking ages for the pop-ups to vanish and I could hear my tower making "Clicks" (4 clicks, roughly 1.5 seconds apart.. ish), I've heard a tiny bit about click sounds from your tower but not enough to know wtf they mean.

My PC ran it's autorepair thing to repair any disk errors and seems to have fixed it.. for now? And it restored my PC's system to a previous point. Is this something I should worry about?

AAA

A Little Darkly
If your HDD is making clicking sounds, I suggest back everything up that you want right away.
More than likely its dying and can die any moment.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Is this something I should worry about?
Yes, your hard-drive will fail any day now. Don't turn on your PC again until you save all of your data.

Think of a mechanical hard-drive as a record player, and data can be stored anywhere on the vinyl, often in random spots; parts of a song, for example, could be spread into 10 parts randomly (hence, fragmentation and the need to defrag mechanical hdd's every so often).

Well, those clicks you hear are the "tone arm" slamming back into its "off-the-record" position after either skipping or failing to read and trying to re-process the last read/write command (hence the massive slow-downs; the bitch can't read and backs the entire computation up). The more she slams, the worst it gets. Reparation is neither cost-effective nor possible without an expensive (hundreds to thousands of dollars) niche company doing it.

Back up NOW, and get a new drive.

Khârn the Betrayer

DARKLY Regular
WELL FUCK!

Backing up now, and I'm currently broke as shit with literally "Nil" in my bank account :feelscry:

:rip:

EDIT: @OG buckshot jr Let me guess, I can't just take any ol HDD and stick it in my tower? Might have a replacement in the form of my old PC but I gave it to my mum.. never see her use it though so i'll probably steal it if I can.

Last edited:

Khârn the Betrayer

DARKLY Regular
You certainly can use any hard-drive you want, but you'll have to format it and install your shit again.
Alright thanks.

Was talking to my friend too
If it's clicking it's possible one of the discs has shifted
Meaning it's only a matter of time before the head shreds the disc or vice versa
My bet would be getting a new one and clone your old drive

He found me this too, so I just need to stop being poor :meh: