Just Wondering (Internet Speeds)

Ghett0

DARKLY Regular
Wait, if you get fiber directly to your home, do they install fiber inside your home as well? I'm asking because they've installed a Fiber hub near my home and I'm curious.
Nope. In the house it's all copper wiring and you are legally responsible for it's installation and maintenance. $100 per jack if they aren't there last time I checked. it doesn't matter though, really. The quality of the signal will degrade over time and distance, but if it's Fiber To the Home, the loss will be negligible. Fiber Optic cables have a capacity of transmitting BILLIONS of bits of data at the speed of light; a far cry from anything coaxial can or will ever offer you. In speed and Capacity, it is monstrously superior.

It's not that copper wiring can't transmit at comparable speeds, it's that the signal dies on the line very easily and requires reinforcing and boosting every 5 km or so. Each boosting station creates a potential Point of Failure, resulting in inefficiencies and loss. Technology can find ways to preserve the data and compensate, but compared to Fiber lines, it's monstrously inefficient.

The downfalls with Fiber are that it is incredibly expensive, incredibly fragile, and very costly to install, repair and maintain. Once it's working, though, it blows everything else right out of the water.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
So I have the 25/10/100 deal and I locked down on a 43.95/mo for that.

For the TV I also have the Better Package and I pay right now 73.45 for the first 6 months, then it goes up 17.82/mo. I have 3 digital boxes and one of them is free (15 for initial box currently free and 7 for each additional). So once the 6 months is up, I will be paying 135.22+tax for both Internet and Cable.

They also explained to me that the TV has it's own dedicated line and bandwidth. So they actually send you 50mbps, 25 for internet and 25 for your tv. And your TV does not iterfer with the 100gb monthly usage you get for the internet.

And are you talking about a home phone landline? Who uses those nowadays? I just use my cell phone. I don't have a home phone. And Fibe internet does not require you to dial in like your traditional DSL, so no need for a landline.

Posted using dat Q10
Ok, so you're on what I want. I think the cost of the home phone is just adding almost $40-50/month, which is ridiculous, especially a feature-less, long distance-less phone. FAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack that jazz. If it was up to me, I would not have it either, trust me. Momdukes just likes having it, for her own reasons (old school woman, can't change her mind). My cell is unlimited across Canada (no zone, either), so mi na cyar fi home phone, but I gots to :/

I might just keep a phone with Teksavvy and have a lower BELL deal.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Why don't you Toronto fags use OTA for tv? Uncompressed HD ftw!
I've looked into it, to get a good UHF setup costs a lot (initial cost, that is. Savings are massive), and it's a pain in the ass to have setup on top of the house to get enough decent stations. Also, believe it or not, in my town (Oakville), depending on the height, you have to get a permit lol

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
I've looked into it, to get a good UHF setup costs a lot (initial cost, that is. Savings are massive), and it's a pain in the ass to have setup on top of the house to get enough decent stations. Also, believe it or not, in my town (Oakville), depending on the height, you have to get a permit lol

Condofags should be able to get a $150-$200 antenna to set in their window and pick up a shitload of channels from Toronto and Buffalo.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Condofags should be able to get a $150-$200 antenna to set in their window and pick up a shitload of channels from Toronto and Buffalo.
True, the woman I'm seeing faces North but gets lucky to bounce off a reflective building facing Toronto and still lands about 6 stations. If you can face South, you'll land even more.

I built the 2x4-coat hanger antenna off the net, for fun, to see what I could get. I was surprised it even worked lol I had MTV, CBC, Global, three PBS stations and a few other, lesser known stations. All amazing quality!

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Rogers changed their packages... I was able to go from 45/4 rated service to 60/10 rated service for within pennies of the same price... :) Gotta love Service Discounts.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Rogers has a new bundle promotion, while it doesn't match my current service discounts, I was told (in error) that I can't switch to any of the new plans without losing my discounts. So a few minutes later switched to 150/10 unlimited (150/15 not available in my area yet) for a few dollars more a month and kept all my current discounts. Pretty happy about that.

HappySticks™

TD Admin
psEjeuG.png

:shrug:

nb

DARKLY Regular
EDIT: Welp, those 2 links failed.. Erm.

My download speed is 28.06mbps, and my upload speed is 10.27mbps.

Nickston

I'm New Here
4177881524.png

Usually I hate my provider but this is really awesome. I'm even getting double the upload I'm supposed to get.