• Guest, This Forum is Strictly Moderated!

Please read the rules before participating in this forum: READ ME Serious F'n Business - Forum / Moderation Rules

If you do not agree with the rules of this forum, and do not plan to abide by them, then do not participate. Threads or posts that do not belong in this forum will be moved, edited, or deleted at the discretion of the Moderators. Repeated failure to follow the rules will result in banishment from the Serious F'n Business forum.

Be good to each other.

Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuan

Should Canada legalize Marijuana?

• Yes! Smoke weed er'day!

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Yes, but should be heavily controlled, like guns in Canada

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Nope, still sketchy

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • No! Fuck that shit

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
whas the difference, legal or not? dope test at work ?

For mushrooms? Not really. Mushrooms are out of your piss in 2-3 days, most urine drug tests don't even test for Psilocybin Mushrooms. Legalizing Mushrooms and LSD is more about guaranteeing quality/safety. Nothing worse than getting bad shrooms over priced from some Leroy

Corporate drug tests usually only test for:
  1. Cannabinoids (marijuana, hash)
  2. Cocaine (cocaine, crack, benzoylecognine)
  3. Amphetamines (amphetamines, methamphetamines, speed)
  4. Opiates (heroin, opium, codeine, morphine)
  5. Phencyclidine (PCP)

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
For mushrooms? Not really. Mushrooms are out of your piss in 2-3 days, most urine drug tests don't even test for Psilocybin Mushrooms. Legalizing Mushrooms and LSD is more about guaranteeing quality/safety. Nothing worse than getting bad shrooms over priced from some Leroy

Corporate drug tests usually only test for:
  1. Cannabinoids (marijuana, hash)
  2. Cocaine (cocaine, crack, benzoylecognine)
  3. Amphetamines (amphetamines, methamphetamines, speed)
  4. Opiates (heroin, opium, codeine, morphine)
  5. Phencyclidine (PCP)

good post, very informative

good+post+op+_3c93400fcb1e6b23a8c61a5b7b8ab565.jpg

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
Legalizing Mushrooms and LSD is more about guaranteeing quality/safety. Nothing worse than getting bad shrooms over priced

That's why not now 47, I want high grade with little risk involved.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
I meant escapism from reality, by altering ones brain chemistry. All the things you mentioned are means of entertainment within your natural state of being to enjoy them.

HAH, sobriety is reality? What you claim is 'reality' is NOTHING more than your individual experience and perception.

""Of greatest significance to me has been the insight that I attained as a fundamental understanding from all of my LSD experiments: what one commonly takes as 'the reality,' including the reality of one's own individual person, by no means signifies something fixed, but rather something that is ambiguous—that there is not only one, but that there are many realities, each comprising also a different consciousness of the ego. One can also arrive at this insight through scientific reflections. The problem of reality is and has been from time immemorial a central concern of philosophy. It is, however, a fundamental distinction, whether one approaches the problem of reality rationally, with the logical methods of philosophy, or if one obtrudes upon this problem emotionally, through an existential experience. The first planned LSD experiment was therefore so deeply moving and alarming, because everyday reality and the ego experiencing it, which I had until then considered to be the only reality, dissolved, and an unfamiliar ego experienced another, unfamiliar reality. The problem concerning the innermost self also appeared, which, itself unmoved, was able to record these external and internal transformations. Reality is inconceivable without an experiencing subject, without an ego. It is the product of the exterior world, of the sender and of a receiver, an ego in whose deepest self the emanations of the exterior world, registered by the antennae of the sense organs, become conscious. If one of the two is lacking, no reality happens, no radio music plays, the picture screen remains blank."" -Albert Hofmann

Marijuana has no medicinal value in healthy people.. scientifically proven to impair a lot of functions. Only the sick gain benefits which I am ok with the use and sale too.

Wrong and ignorant. Tetrahydrocannabinol has been linked to helping to prevent cancer & Alzheimers.

But forget that it can be preventative medication, because at the end of the day there is nothing wrong with getting high just to experience the high.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I'm curious, are you against people having the choice to walk down the paths you turned away from BJ?

I dunno, to be honest. I mean, I know some people who I can truly believe don't get affected like I did (by weed, I can't account for other drugs like coke = I do believe coke is not good no matter what).

I guess I'm not against choice, I'm more pro-education. I'll use smoking cigarettes for example, because I'm in the process of quitting and have been doing a lot of reading on the subject. The amount of disinformation that comes from 'true' sources (the government, all sorts of health boards etc.) is staggering, and in my opinion is the very culprit of peoples' quitting failures. The amount of backroom dealings and lobbying makes me sick. So for situations like this, I believe the choice should be limited because of the lack of education. I believe people don't truly understand what they're getting into, and anything they claim to understand is false. Boggles my mind....

But yes, I'm pro choice, really. Freedom is king, we only live once.

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
""Of greatest significance to me has been the insight that I attained as a fundamental understanding from all of my LSD experiments: what one commonly takes as 'the reality,' including the reality of one's own individual person, by no means signifies something fixed, but rather something that is ambiguous—that there is not only one, but that there are many realities, each comprising also a different consciousness of the ego. One can also arrive at this insight through scientific reflections. The problem of reality is and has been from time immemorial a central concern of philosophy. It is, however, a fundamental distinction, whether one approaches the problem of reality rationally, with the logical methods of philosophy, or if one obtrudes upon this problem emotionally, through an existential experience. The first planned LSD experiment was therefore so deeply moving and alarming, because everyday reality and the ego experiencing it, which I had until then considered to be the only reality, dissolved, and an unfamiliar ego experienced another, unfamiliar reality. The problem concerning the innermost self also appeared, which, itself unmoved, was able to record these external and internal transformations. Reality is inconceivable without an experiencing subject, without an ego. It is the product of the exterior world, of the sender and of a receiver, an ego in whose deepest self the emanations of the exterior world, registered by the antennae of the sense organs, become conscious. If one of the two is lacking, no reality happens, no radio music plays, the picture screen remains blank."" -Albert Hofmann

It's sad that most people would read this and see it as "Stoner Talk".

Macido

DARKLY Regular
You guys talk about freedom like you can whatever you want for freedoms sake. get real!
Canada has laws, if you don't like them your free to try and change them. But I haven't heard a single good argument for why it should be legal yet.
Antioxidants? there are likely 100 other ways to get it that and have NO other effects altering effects on the mind and body.
Helps to prevent Cancer & Alzheimers, "helps" being the key word, you can't offer a guarantee where there isn't none. It's not a cure, doesn't work everytime or for everyone for something they don't even know all causes for. Again.. 100 ways to HELP prevent these diseases that have no effects and better for you. The positives do not outweigh the negatives.

Your not free to do A LOT of things, you need prescriptions for stronger drugs and those drugs actually help people who are in NEED of it.
We don't hand out those drugs to JUST anybody who wants them, so no your not FREE in that sense.
Marijuana does not do anything worth legalizing for healthy people but get them high. So go eat some damn fruit and you'll be way better off long term.

I have strong opinions on coffee and sugar as well on what they do to the body over time and it's not good.

Nobody asks to get addicted, it always starts small and builds over time without you noticing.

You guys should read "A Brave New World" for what a "healthy drug" culture would be like in the future. It's not so bright...

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
You guys talk about freedom like you can whatever you want for freedoms sake. get real!
Canada has laws, if you don't like them your free to try and change them. But I haven't heard a single good argument for why it should be legal yet.
Antioxidants? there are likely 100 other ways to get it that and have NO other effects altering effects on the mind and body.
Helps to prevent Cancer & Alzheimers, "helps" being the key word, you can't offer a guarantee where there isn't none. It's not a cure, doesn't work everytime or for everyone for something they don't even know all causes for. Again.. 100 ways to HELP prevent these diseases that have no effects and better for you. The positives do not outweigh the negatives.

Your not free to do A LOT of things, you need prescriptions for stronger drugs and those drugs actually help people who are in NEED of it.
We don't hand out those drugs to JUST anybody who wants them, so no your not FREE in that sense.
Marijuana does not do anything worth legalizing for healthy people but get them high. So go eat some damn fruit and you'll be way better off long term.

I have strong opinions on coffee and sugar as well on what they do to the body over time and it's not good.

Nobody asks to get addicted, it always starts small and builds over time without you noticing.

You guys should read "A Brave New World" for what a "healthy drug" culture would be like in the future. It's not so bright...

I'm not on either side of the fence, rather I'm probably a little against legalization than I am for legalization because I think our population is useless already, nevermind when they become mindless munchy-heads on welfare, however I could offer you this super easy argument - Look at all the millions and millions and millions of useless, full-of-shit, garbage, death/impairment-causing pharmaceuticals that 'help' things, but cause a fuckload of others. They're legal, and the conglomerate companies behind them lie, cheat, scam and hurt/kill people on their way to attaining unimaginable amounts of profits (I don't feel uncomfortable saying the pharmaceutical industry makes more profit than any other industry besides religion)... so why not a weed, a bloody plant?

Even though I don't smoke weed anymore because I know it's not good for me, but I think I'd still rather be high on weed than I would taking [insert some bullshit pharmaceutical here].

That's just my opinion, and the reason why I'm not really against (but not really for) the legalization of marijuana.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
Macido
Sorry to burst your bubble of ignorance but 'A Brave New World' is satirical. Aldous Huxley was inspired to write it as a parody to H.G. Wells 'Men Like Gods' and 'A modern Utopia' after reading them. He was expressing the idea that something can create a utopia and at the same time could be used to create a dystopia, that something good can be something evil, and that something evil can be something good.

"Complete prohibition of all chemical mind changers can be decreed, but cannot be enforced, and tends to create more evils than it cures. Even more unsatisfactory has been the policy of complete toleration and unrestricted availability." -Huxley

Huxley was a predominant intellectual of his time, widely known for his use of psychedelic drugs, including LSD and Mescaline. You might want to read one of his other books: 'The Doors of Perception' (1954).

"Is it possible for a powerful drug to be completely harmless? Perhaps not. But the physiological cost can certainly be reduced to the point where it becomes negligible. There are powerful mind changers which do their work without damaging the taker's psychophysical organism and without inciting him to behave like a criminal or a lunatic." -Aldous Huxley

Interesting fact: On his deathbed, unable to speak, Huxley made a written request to his wife Laura for "LSD, 100µg, intramuscular", which she obliged giving him an injection at 11am, and another a few hours later. He died the same day JFK was assassinated.

TheMoreYouKnow.gif

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member

I want it taken away from the under 18 year olds, as I stated earlier, the damage it causes in developing ages is irreparable. It's too easy for them to gain access right now. It needs to be off the streets, and since banning it clearly hasn't worked, it needs to be legal and controlled.

We need Social change for Parents to understand the signs and for kids to understand that it's NOT safe for everyday use.

. The positives do not outweigh the negatives.
Same can be said for over the counter drugs,

have a headache/cold/back pain? Solve it by Killing your liver, kidneys and causing high blood pressure!!!

BJ touched on this subject pretty well so I'll not reiterate the same.

Despite your hate for it people will still use it, Legal or Not.

So I ask you this, what has making it Illegal done beside give a shit ton if money to organized crime?

In fact the rates are so high in use for people under 35 it's almost a pointless law that's just waisting tax payers money.

Okay, your body is a temple.

But you have no justified reasoning why I can't do what I want with my own Body.

$alvador

TD Member

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
  • (a) freedom of conscience and religion;
  • (b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
  • (c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
  • (d) freedom of association.

7. Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.

This is from the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms. It is clearly stated that we do have the right to our own mind and body, which makes me wonder why you think the onus should be on me to give you good reasons marijuana should be legal. The onus should be on the government to explain why they are using some moral high-ground argument to subvert the charter of rights and freedoms by making illegal a plant that has been scientifically demonstrated to be non-toxic.

Again, it all comes down to what kind of world you want to live in. Either we defend freedom and people's right to think and believe what they want to, to ANY extreme, or we sign up for your ideal world in which no rights are inalienable because you have moral authority to tell people what they may or may not think and consume. You want a good reason why weed should be legal? Because THE MAJORITY AGREES THAT IT'S JUST TO DO SO. In a democracy, we should not require any more reasons to make it so.

Macido

DARKLY Regular
I am willing to admit Marijuana needs way better study, but until then it should not be 100% free reign, that's irresponsible.

If the majority of population agree it's ok and should be legal and aren't misinformed on the drug (which I believe a lot of people are) then it will pass and I won't stop it or care. I'm just voicing my opinion, I have no desire to run for office. Give to Ceaser what is Ceasers I say..
I pay may taxes but I live according to a higher standard than "legal or not".

So I ask you this, what has making it Illegal done beside give a shit ton if money to organized crime?
Since THC is a double edged sword giving a high along with the medicinal property, it tells our not so intelligent society to find a better solution (of which there are probably 100's). Nobody loses out except a bit of freedom which I am happy to obliged as I give up many of my rights to make our society better.
I believe synthetic THC "Marinol" exists which has all the good an none of the high, but people don't seem to care cause they are actually in it for the high. I don't see anyone pushing for this..

But you have no justified reasoning why I can't do what I want with my own Body.
You can do whatever you want, just be prepare to face the consequences of your actions. You are not watched 24/7, nor are you held prisoner in Canada. You do however have to agree to live with Canada's laws while here, you don't get to carry guns just cause your free. We all agree people should not carry them because the good does not outweigh the bad.

Government is insane for not legalizing and taxing it. Just think of all the extra tax money they would have to waste.
$1 million dollars of taxable revenue in the first day of colorado legalization.
Money isn't certainly not everything or the main issue. Within days of colorado's legalization a child was sent to the hospital for ingesting a THC filled cookie. Child Emergency visits are on the rise and so are drugged driving accidents. There is a world of hurt coming that is going to cost money, nothing is without consequence. How much is a child's life worth? How much will be spent educating people not to get high and drive, how will they test it.

interesting stuff;
"Is it possible for a powerful drug to be completely harmless? Perhaps not. But the physiological cost can certainly be reduced to the point where it becomes negligible. There are powerful mind changers which do their work without damaging the taker's psychophysical organism and without inciting him to behave like a criminal or a lunatic." -Aldous Huxley

"Psychedelic experience is only a glimpse of genuine mystical insight, but a glimpse which can be matured and deepened by the various ways of meditation in which drugs are no longer necessary or useful. If you get the message, hang up the phone. For psychedelic drugs are simply instruments, like microscopes, telescopes, and telephones. The biologist does not sit with eye permanently glued to the microscope, he goes away and works on what he has seen..."
-- Alan Watts, (Joyous Cosmology Prologue, 2nd ed. 1970).

Interesting fact: On his deathbed, unable to speak, Huxley made a written request to his wife Laura for "LSD, 100µg, intramuscular", which she obliged giving him an injection at 11am, and another a few hours later. He died the same day JFK was assassinated.

During his torture and crucifixion he was offered wine laced with painkilling agents, Jesus Christ refused the offer and choose to suffer.
Matt. 27:34

^Mann the fuck up

$alvador

TD Member
I pay may taxes but I live according to a higher standard than "legal or not".

That's great, but your standards aren't everyone's standards. Can we at least agree people should have the rights guaranteed them in the charter of rights and freedoms? The laws regarding drug use are actually relatively protective of user rights, but because drugs are not implicitly legal or decriminalized, this gives law enforcement the impetus to assume they have the right to treat drug users as criminals (dealers) which runs contrary to another guaranteed right we have; the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Despite our drug laws being amongst the best in the world, we're still held back from being the best in the world by people who think their moral beliefs should have precedent over our established constitution and the rights guaranteed within it, simply because they think they know what's best for everyone despite reams and reams of peer-reviewed, scientifically-demonstrated literature that makes it very clear that prohibition is more of a social drain than legalization could possibly be.

Many states are taking Colorado's lead and legalizing marijuana, because they are seeing that there is an opportunity to improve the average quality of life by doing so. I don't see where your or my moral beliefs have a place to interfere if there's a good enough reason to affect positive social change doing things we don't personally agree with. Legalization doesn't mean you're going to be forced to smoke weed, so what reason do you really have to be against a proposal that changes the status quo and might improve the overall standard of living for all people? You simply don't like it, and person x not liking what person y does with themselves is not acceptable as a good enough reason to throw people in jail in a democratic society.

Money isn't certainly not everything or the main issue. Within days of colorado's legalization a child was sent to the hospital for ingesting a THC filled cookie. Child Emergency visits are on the rise and so are drugged driving accidents. There is a world of hurt coming that is going to cost money, nothing is without consequence. How much is a child's life worth? How much will be spent educating people not to get high and drive, how will they test it.

Yeah, that sucks, but a not-insignificant amount of people have died because they did not seek medical attention, because they were concerned with the consequences of seeking treatment. If you call 911 for an ambulance, at least in Ontario, and there is any mention of drugs possibly having been involved, cops will be right there to hound you in the middle of your heart attack. It's outrageous that a person cannot even seek medical assistance without being harassed by police. Legalization gets rid of that problem because cops no longer have any business getting involved.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon

You can do whatever you want, just be prepare to face the consequences of your actions. You are not watched 24/7, nor are you held prisoner in Canada. You do however have to agree to live with Canada's laws while here, you don't get to carry guns just cause your free. We all agree people should not carry them because the good does not outweigh the bad.

Oh Canadian gun laws/ignorance.. I leave this one alone.

Government is insane for not legalizing and taxing it. Just think of all the extra tax money they would have to waste.
$1 million dollars of taxable revenue in the first day of colorado legalization.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/health/charlotte-child-medical-marijuana/

"Psychedelic experience is only a glimpse of genuine mystical insight, but a glimpse which can be matured and deepened by the various ways of meditation in which drugs are no longer necessary or useful. If you get the message, hang up the phone. For psychedelic drugs are simply instruments, like microscopes, telescopes, and telephones. The biologist does not sit with eye permanently glued to the microscope, he goes away and works on what he has seen..."
-- Alan Watts, (Joyous Cosmology Prologue, 2nd ed. 1970).

Okay, but to expand on his statement, you still have to pick up the phone at some point to get the message in the first place.

How many people abuse psychedelics often? Hardly any besides super-hippies.

I haven't touched a psychedelic in 2-3 years now, but that doesn't change the fact that I consider those experiences to be pivotal in shaping me as a human being.

During his torture and crucifixion he was offered wine laced with painkilling agents, Jesus Christ refused the offer and choose to suffer.
Matt. 27:34

LOL.

what does the worst fictional story ever written have to do with anything? Nothing. You quoted a story by Huxley as proof of why culturally we cannot have drug acceptance, and I merely pointed out that you were ignorant to the point he was making, and the man himself.

The truth is we will never agree, you and those of us in this thread who use critical thinking and have self control. Your opinion has been shaped into stone by your bias self experience stemming from your inability to experience a facet of existence without it controlling you. You are a weak human being Machido. And the strong should not be held back by the weak. That goes against everything in nature.

Now take the moral high ground, because its all you have. Luckily morals are subjective and moral standards are shaped by society as a whole. And it seems society is saying marijuana use is not morally wrong.

MetalLobster

TD Admin
Wow, this thread is still alive...thanks?

Anyways, I just want to say there are plenty of studies on marijuana, from it's uses, benefits, side-effects, risk, addiction and so forth. Just searching marijuana on my school's database brings up 500K articles, over 30K scholarly peer-reviewed, which should be no surprise since we are already lawfully using it medically. Thus, any personal experiences, incidents and "my bro smokes a half-O a week and he got 95% on his women's study final", are not valid, as weed from an illegal dealer, is not and will not be same as weed from a registered, legal dealer. If marijuana becomes legal, it will be controlled, just like alcohol and any other drugs on the shelves of your local shoppers drug mart.

The groups of people, without point out political groups since it's too vague, that I find are most opposed of marijuana are parents and business owners. The concern of parents is simple, their kid smokes weed, enters a phase of trying out new drugs and shit, then either ends up in jail or go through some Breaking Bad shit. With BOs, they fear the overall productivity will drop, as the side-effects of weed is reduced focus, mellowing out and mad munchies. More call-ins, less focused employees equals no mo money. I don't even want to get started with the religious groups...

Moving on, the issues that I find with Marijuana almost the same as the issues we see with alcohol. Alcohol is legal, regulated and controlled, but what's to stop someone from abusing it and entering a downward spiral to jail? With BOs, I think their worries are exaggerated, as there is nothing stopping you from imposing your own rules. You're the boss and your employees will listen, if they want a paycheque.

Another problem with just about any argument, is that most people are seeing Marijuana from how they were taught to see it, as bad, illegal and the prize of gang A vs gang B. With everyone else, we accept them without even being taught about what they are, because the marketing from TV ads, sports, etc. are already doing that. Molson Canadian ads with dudes having a BBQ, employees on the verge of diarrhea feeling better after taking Pepto, hockey player with itchy balls soothing the pain by pouring Gold Bond down his pants, just to name a few, so a few arguments out there that are being seen as objectively valid, are biased.

Nick

DARKLY Regular
honestly i don't see the big deal with legalizing it when it's so common in canada anyway. i mean alcohol and cigarettes are incredibly addictive and despite being legal and publicly available most people haven't just stopped their lives to become wasters, so there's pretty slim chance that legalizing weed will somehow change things for the worse.

oh also the judges refuse to lay out mandatory minimums even on previously convicted dealers so that just goes to show you even our legal system thinks throwing people in prison even for selling it is a fucking joke

The reason they didn't legalize it, as opposed to cigs and alcohol having the same effect is because they can't make money out of it. They being whoever you want them to be. Cigs and alcohol, can't be grown out of your back yard. Weed can. lol.

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
The reason they didn't legalize it, as opposed to cigs and alcohol having the same effect is because they can't make money out of it. They being whoever you want them to be. Cigs and alcohol, can't be grown out of your back yard. Weed can. lol.

You can grow tobacco plants just like marijuana, I bet if tobacco was banned people would grow it.

Marijuana/Hemp was banned from production because of its VAST uses, that conflicted with many companies interests way back when.

Biodegradable plastic, paper, clothing, food, insulation, and fuel. I'm sure that last one had nothing to do with it....