• Please remember to wrap not safe for work text/images in [NSFW][/NSFW] tags.
    Example: [NSFW][img]http://darklygaming.com/images/spinnysgapedass.jpg[/img][/NSFW]

Tropes vs Women in videogames

MetalLobster

TD Admin
Wait, what did Katy Perry do? Besides the meh performance during the halftime show ofc...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Fork Included

TD Admin
Are we going to push this from women in video games to how they are treated in general? The latter is a much more complex issue.

um, that IS the issue. How women are treated in videogames, which translates into reinforcing of social norms. Not that women are or are not in video games.

Did you actually watch the whole series?

MetalLobster

TD Admin
um, that IS the issue. How women are treated in videogames, which translates into reinforcing of social norms. Not that women are or are not in video games.

Did you actually watch the whole series?
You can change the status-quo of characters in video games without anything changing in everyday society.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Roach

TD Admin
My frustrations in street fighter vs an overpowered cammy has forced me to start every engagement with the opposite sex with an opening fireball for zoning purposes. Just to see how they react.

Edit: I'm done trolling. Sorry to muck up your thread fork I'm so fucking bored at work.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
What if you like the social norms of today and the whole 'man saves girl' archtype in entertainment(books, movies, games).

Whats so wrong with that. Nothing. Feminists suck.

Fork Included

TD Admin
What if you like the social norms of today and the whole 'man saves girl' archtype in entertainment(books, movies, games).

Whats so wrong with that. Nothing. Feminists suck.

well I'm not going to argue it's appeal to a male, who doesn't want to be the hero! it works because it is effective, no doubt about that.

Fork Included

TD Admin
You can change the status-quo of characters in video games without anything changing in everyday society.

everything permeates social development

I'm not saying that Double Dragon made kids into wife beaters, or that GTA has taught us all unlock our inner psychopaths, but they certainly have an element of desensitization.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Desensitization, cheese.. I'll tell you what, the moment they stop using "terrorist", "threat", "national security" and "Muslim bombing" every 2nd sentence in the media, every day, every newscast, then we can address a bloody video game.

It's life, it's reality. And the reality is that sometimes women will need men's help, and vice versa.

TurboTaco

TD Admin
I made a female dwarf char in dragon age inquisiton and justine asked why i would purposely make an ugly chick vs a hot one. Even she prefers the status of quo. Double standards mang.

Fork Included

TD Admin
remember there are two kinds of feminists, the type that don't like to be thought of as objects, and those that think everything that's wrong with their life is the fault of men.

there are more of the latter, and I know a few, and I don't particularly like them as people.

Also, Braids, I hope that YOU drown, in your own piss, for no particular reason.

Fork Included

TD Admin
w5ljsIl.jpg

TurboTaco

TD Admin
In all srsness n fairness to op tho, women/girls are typically typecast in terms of role/character created for video games. I dont personally see it as a problem but i do acknowledge the fact that i can understand why there are some miffed female gamers out there too pushing for a 'change' in male gaming mentality and the big wig producers of mainstream games

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
In all srsness n fairness to op tho, women/girls are typically typecast in terms of role/character created for video games. I dont personally see it as a problem but i do acknowledge the fact that i can understand why there are some miffed female gamers out there too pushing for a 'change' in male gaming mentality and the big wig producers of mainstream games
Ya but there's games like tomb raider where men are useless and the almighty lara croft saves the day. That's why I lean towards thinking this is a typical 'but what about women!?' topic.

And movies, fuck, there's so many powerful female characters saving men.. the fuck they complaining about...

And that's the difference between a regular human and a dirty feminist. I can watch a movie in which a guy is portrayed as useless and needs help from the almighty powerful woman and I'll find it entertaining. The feminist will watch a movie in which the roles are reversed and will bitch and moan and go to city hall.

Last edited: