Touch screen repair help me!

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
My cousin owns a HP touch screen laptop. Recently it was damaged and the touch screen is no longer operable. The LCD still functions though(although I am waiting to hear back on if its working 100% or limping along).

Admittedly I know absolutely nothing about TS technology and how it works. So I come to my bro's for help/brain storming. How exactly does a touchscreen work? its not the LCD itself that provides that functionality, but something like a cover that sits over it with a digitizer? Or am I way off?

Here's the information I have been able to find so far:
The laptop: Envy TouchSmart Model 4-1195CA
P/N: C2K82UAR#ABL

HP has a site for looking up parts for your devices:
http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx
When I search the product on that site it comes up with 26 parts:

AC Adapter
impnote.gif

693715-001 AC adapter (65-watt) - RC/V, non-smart,With power factor correction (PFC) - (For use in all countries and regions) COMPLY_2.05

Battery

681949-001 Battery (Primary) - 4-cell lithium-ion (Li-Ion), 3.55Ah, 52Wh (EL04052XL-PL) COMPLY_2.05
686922-001 Battery for Real-Time Clock (RTC) COMPLY_2.05

Connector

686577-001 DC-IN Power Connector COMPLY_2.05

Cover

687998-001 Keyboard Bracket COMPLY_2.05
702927-001 BASE ENCLOSURE TS COMPLY_2.05

Cover Pad

690193-001 MBL Base Enclosure COMPLY_2.05
690194-001 SVR/ALU Top Cover COMPLY_2.05

Display

699378-001 14 Inch High Definition Hinge-up Touch screen Display with Microphone - Black ENVY COMPLY_2.05

Drive

683802-005 500GB SATA hard drive - 5,400 RPM, 2.5-inch form factor, 7mm height (raw drive) COMPLY_2.05
687100-001 mSATA 32G M Solid state Drive COMPLY_2.07

Fan

686578-001 Thermal Module COMPLY_2.05
691641-001 Fan With Foil COMPLY_2.05

Hardware Kit

686581-001 Hard Disk Drive Mounting Hardware COMPLY_2.05
687098-001 Screws COMPLY_2.05
699379-001 HDD HARDWARE KIT COMPLY_2.05

Interface

686584-001 Input /Output board COMPLY_2.05

Interface (Module)

691640-001 SVR Touchpad module COMPLY_2.05
702928-001 SMART CARD READER TS COMPLY_2.05

Memory (DIMM)

641369-005 4.0GB, 1600MHz, PC3-12800 SDRAM Small Outline Dual In-Line Memory Module (SODIMM) - (SHARED) COMPLY_2.07

PC Board

702926-501 MOTHERBOARD UNIFIED MEMORY ARCHITECTURE I5-3317U W8STD - Touchscreen COMPLY_2.05

PC Board (Interface)

670290-005 SPS-WLAN 802.11 BGN 2x2 COMBO JP1 (NMA) COMPLY_2.07

Power Cord
impnote.gif

490371-001 Power cord (Black) - 3-wire conductor, 18 AWG, 1.8m (6.0ft) long - Has straight (F) C5 receptacle (North America) COMPLY_2.05

Speaker

686585-001 Speakers COMPLY_2.05

Speaker Kit

686586-001 Sub Woofer COMPLY_2.05

Unknown Keyword

698682-DB1 SPS-KBD ISK/PT BLK/NSV BL W8 EN/FR

Only one of these parts is related to the display, 699378-001 - however when I search around Ebay and other replacement sites it looks like most people list this item as just the lcd screen itself, not the full top assembly/plastics/hinges/mic/touch screen parts?!?!??!

I am going to pick up the laptop this week, so I have a better idea what I'm working on. The internet is being surprisingly unhelpful in regards to finding parts for this laptop.

OG buckshot jr Glocky Cock $alvador Hinouchi

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
As far as I know, most touchscreens use a digitizer, seeing as that's necessary to turn the touch input into a digital signal - I might be completely wrong on that though. How that's accomplished varies; currently capacitive is the most popular for higher-end touch screens, which registers it with electrical current flowing through the screen via a layer of polyester and glass, both coated with some transparent conductive.

As for replacing the screen though, all of it should be one main piece just like any other laptop screen. The digitizer should be a separate sheet behind the screen, but that's rarely broken with a cracked screen and can be re-used (though the replacement may come with one anyway). Replacement screens tend to be just the screen; to replace it you need to disassemble the laptop frame, disconnect everything from the old screen, install the new one, and reconnect everything (mic, camera, hinges, digitizer, et cetera). Usually the screws to start with to get to the screen are under the keyboard or under bezel covers.

All that said, my experience is pretty limited. I've never replaced a laptop touch screen, only regular ones, and not many at that. I'd imagine it'd be the same, but if someone can correct me please go ahead. See if you can find a disassembly/guide/video somewhere for a similar laptop from HP, it tends to be the same among the same brand.

Hinouchi

TD Admin
My knowledge on touch screen / laptop repair are very limited. I'm guessing warranty is out of the question?

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Gatherix already covered the 0.5% that I could possibly contribute. If I come up with anything through research, I'll ping back to this thread.

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
Found this; different series, but the process should be similar. Seems like the screen is one piece like a normal laptop screen, with just the digitizer sheet just in the back as I thought.

http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/section/Articles/1297984420/Touch screen repair - how to replace touch screen LCD panel on a tablet PC [HP TX2500] /

Laptops are a pain to repair, though. Screws are hidden everywhere, and sometimes it can be hard to tell if a piece is a snap-on (which are in every laptop, usually frame pieces) or if there's a screw somewhere, so you need to be really careful. Most laptops nowadays are made with a technician in mind, so look for small tabs or releases for connections and stuff. Also note the screw sizes engraved by sockets, if it has them. Most pieces are detachable, but it may be a multi-step process, so don't assume that once you disconnect something it can be removed. Having some antistatic tweezers and a small screw magnet will help a lot.

Laptop user feels :thatfeel:

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Yep, digitizer. Glass, digitizer, tft, glass is the most common sammich found on touch-screen displays. I know you can order the part (may not be OEM, but function will remain the same). Just don't cheap out as I've witnessed fucked up calibration from replacement digitizers that were so-called "perfect replacements". Be weary of buying the cheapest option/unknown option.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
Found this; different series, but the process should be similar. Seems like the screen is one piece like a normal laptop screen, with just the digitizer sheet just in the back as I thought.

http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/section/Articles/1297984420/Touch screen repair - how to replace touch screen LCD panel on a tablet PC [HP TX2500] /

Laptops are a pain to repair, though. Screws are hidden everywhere, and sometimes it can be hard to tell if a piece is a snap-on (which are in every laptop, usually frame pieces) or if there's a screw somewhere, so you need to be really careful. Most laptops nowadays are made with a technician in mind, so look for small tabs or releases for connections and stuff. Also note the screw sizes engraved by sockets, if it has them. Most pieces are detachable, but it may be a multi-step process, so don't assume that once you disconnect something it can be removed. Having some antistatic tweezers and a small screw magnet will help a lot.

Laptop user feels :thatfeel:

First of all Gatherix, thank you for your input bro!!

I'm familiar with the cunty-ness of HP/Dell/IBM laptop repair work, I do a fair amount of laptop repairs/gutting for the Repair Parts broker I work for. Just haven't gotten my hands on any newer touch screen models(we mostly deal with business grade garbage).

The hardest part of all this seems to be finding replacement parts for the touchscreen functionality. :| prolly gonna have to go 3rd party as BJ said :|

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
Bahhahah, oh fuck. So I am googling around looking for a replacement digitizer, and this thread comes up on the first page of google for "Envy TouchSmart Model 4-1195CA digitizer" ... thats a good sign lol

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
First of all Gatherix, thank you for your input bro!!

I'm familiar with the cunty-ness of HP/Dell/IBM laptop repair work, I do a fair amount of laptop repairs/gutting for the Repair Parts broker I work for. Just haven't gotten my hands on any newer touch screen models(we mostly deal with business grade garbage).

The hardest part of all this seems to be finding replacement parts for the touchscreen functionality. :| prolly gonna have to go 3rd party as BJ said :|

You prolly know more than me, then. Sorry if I was condescending.

Anyway, the touch screen display from another HP Envy TouchSmart 4-12xx should also work.

Stan Radner

DARKLY Regular
The digitizer is broken. My friend has one and the same thing happened. Took it to a professional to examine it and she said the digitizer was broken; replaced it for less than 20 bucks.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
According to this service guide, 716398-001 works as a replacement part. And HP's PartSurfer has it in stock.

Tada.

Awesome detective work Gatherix!!!!! Don't think it'll be getting done if its gonna cost the $369.99 HP wants for the replacement LOL!
Found one on ebay, its $200 - and get this! thats the price, with the glass already broken LOL!

Well fuck. Consumer electronics = rape

$alvador

TD Member
well, that solves that problem. i'm not surprised the replacement screen costs so much since it has the touch capability. why does a laptop even need a touchscreen? typically the best "consumer" electronics are built as simple as possible and you're paying for the quality of parts, then there are the consumer electronics that are build with cheap parts but all kinds of gimmicks that don't have a very long service life and need to be replaced, hence, a consumer product, because they are consumed.