Tick Tock's version of trade_plaza suggestions

88Tsv.gif

People...get your shit together. If there is going to be criticism, I would prefer it be constructed without the need to insult each other. That goes for both OP, Mods and regulars.

I am taking note of the fire starters here, let me remind you that any fall out due to your trolling will result in undesirable consequences.

nb

DARKLY Regular
Getting a missing map error on Server #3 :feelsbad:

#5 is packed like crazy, are we certain it is the least popular?
Got that error on my afk account, but not my main account.. And #5 was packed because it was the only server that didn't keep on restarting.

That's happening with lots of people including myself when I try to join and it's running trade_rawr_vl_1. Shouldn't it auto download :P ? Anyway, Gatherix should also look into the suspicious server map change thats going on on #3. it'll be trade_darkly_vL_1 and then a map change and it's back to trade_rawr_vl_1. That was yesterday though. Today it's been trade_rawr_vl_1 the whole time :/

It does, then it stops and goes back. I went in and manually deleted the map file. Tried a redownload, no effect.

I will whine and bitch here if I get another one. :amazed:

Tick Tock Man

Senior TF2 Admin
Staff member
Wow - missed all this ruckus...

Anyway - before we get back to the point of the thread let me just say a couple of things....

No, it is not Tick Tock's map, and it is not nor was ever intended for "me only" to use for events - the purpose was to make hosting the events a bit more organized and provide some asshat-interference-proof areas that any Admin/Mod could use. Gatherix and I discussed the combination of features of the map, and the teleport commands intended for these types of events based on the assumption that they would be available to all appropriate level staff.
Also, let me point out that I wasn't the first person to host events here, nor am I or ever have been the only one - Staff or player that hosts them now.....and perhaps with the changes to the map, it may encourage more Staff to hold events when they don't have to worry so much about crowd control.

That being said I did approach Ludicrous with some very specific ideas about the map area designed for the events I usually hold, namely Mass Spycrabs, Sniper Game, and Taunt Kill Games - Gatherix requested an area to be always accessible to regular players designated for individual spycrabs - beyond that the other possible additions/variations are up for suggestion...

This is a Darkly community map as far as I know, and I think community input should certainly be considered when making it - do keep in mind though we don't want the map too big, and any changes we make need to be symmetric, as in effecting both teams equally. We should also take a moment to thank Ludicrous for taking his time to work on this - I know I appreciate the fact that he is willing to use his talents in mapmaking to try make us a better map..

Gatherix did ask for something to be taken into consideration when designing the plaza upgrade - that we not make too many big changes to the exisiting common areas - many people play the server because of the map, if it changes too much it may diminish the server's current popularity.

So, from what I've seen so far I think a little higher ceiling in the main area would be cool. If the same textures aren't available, perhaps the additional area could be used to advertise Darkly, or as an additional area for basic server info, ie. Type !servers, or Try !Shop - maybe something along that line...

I don't really spending much time rocket jumping, but I imagine a small platform, perhaps near the top of the center of the room so players can fight over who has it, might be kinda cool...but perhaps somebody who does rocket jump often should weight in here....

I also think a Sniper specific area would be cool - I know sliding doors have been added to spawn which elimitates the spawn sniping bit, perhaps we could add a long rectagular room with the team barrier in the middle, maybe a natural looking area with trees and rocks you have to hide behind to snipe (or heal as a medic).....if anybody has any other ideas about this area or any others please post them...
(Edit: Missed Lud's post about the sniper areas - though I may have a solution that will be acceptable to both parties, and idea easy to map and ideal for sniping... )

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
I've been messing around in Hammer, mostly trying to figure out how it works. However, I have started work on my own verson of the ideal trade_plaza. I have not been promised any use of this map nor am I expecting such a promise. This is just a way for me to get my hands dirty with Hammer while seeing how plausible the requests/suggestions made in this topic are for myself. I don't even know if the map will work, but meh, it's worth a shot.

The idea I've "mapped" (hehe :3) out so far as a large main room with a high ceiling, spawn exits that don't face each other, and once I figure it out, I'll be making a room dedicated to spycrabbing with some sort of feature that allows Mods/Admins to bring players in via commands or something. Non-staff won't be able to get in, so it will probably be used for server events (hosted by Mods/Admins).

I'm also adding some minor features and removing other details that will not affect gameplay. The lake in the middle being one thing that won't be on this map.

I'm hoping to make a dedicated sniper range with cover and stuff. If I can figure it out, I'll make a flag so you can't get in with a Sydney Sleeper (Sorry, Kharn! :yaoming: )

As I said above, this is just my idea of what I'd like Trade-Plaza to be and what I've interpreted as what other people want, based on this thread.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Sneak peak:
For an idea of size, the yellow boxes are the palm trees.
K3Hkj2q.png

I'm aware of the scaling textures on the walls and I'm working on fixing that. This map is nowhere near finished, obviously, but this is a rough idea of what the main room of it will look like.

Tick gave me an idea for a sniping setup that won't actually require a separate room. I'm going to do my best to apply it while still making the map look good.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Made a ton of progress today on my map.

Spawn rooms are almost finished, just need to complete the doors. I kept the decorations minimal.

Main room is almost finished. I was going to keep the pool in there, but then Tick reminded me of the issue with people doing the Medic taunt in the water, which played it really loudly over the whole server, so I took that out.

My personal favorite feature. SNIPER RANGE :D
I put in a range ABOVE the main room, but with glass so the map still feels open. There's a teleporter in each spawn that takes the player up into their respective team's side of the range. Each side has a dispenser, but no exit >:3 Kill or be killed, baby!
The space between the two sides is a killbox. 500 instant damage. I'm also shaping a killbox around each side so noclipping won't work. This was Tick's idea. He requested a copy of what I had so far, but I don't know if he got it to work. It crashed the first time on him, BUT it loaded fine for me, even after closing and reloading TF2, so :shrug:

Anyway, tomorrow's priority is the spycrab room. Still no idea how I'm going to do that, but hey, it's going to be fun to learn :D

This is also my first map and was built from scratch, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Attachments

• 2014-04-07_00005.jpg
    2014-04-07_00005.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 2014-04-07_00006.jpg
    2014-04-07_00006.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 2014-04-07_00007.jpg
    2014-04-07_00007.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 2014-04-07_00008.jpg
    2014-04-07_00008.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 2014-04-07_00010.jpg
    2014-04-07_00010.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 188

Tick Tock Man

Senior TF2 Admin
Staff member
I cannot wait to see these maps in real time - it's gonna be awesome!

Cmp™ Julian

Also, let me just say that I appreciate both you guys putting forth the time and effort into making us some spiffy new maps...

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Tick Tock Man

Spy Crab room is built and programmed. Killbox around it so no-clipping won't work either. So the only way to get into the control room is through a teleport command. (This can be removed if needed, but only as a last resort)

Here's the gist of how it works:
A mod/admin hosts the spycrab and directs anyone interested to make their way to the spycrab teleporter in their respective spawns. The teleporters take them to this room. At this point, the doors are already open, so when everybody is in their box, the host can hit the door button and seal everyone in and start the spycrab. As the event goes on, the host can kill the spycrabs with their corresponding colored buttons.

Pros:
Easy to use!
No more keeping track of names (or as much). When you see someone crab, hit their button and send them packing!
No jumping!
The Anti-Asshat 9000 (patent pending). The top middle button (appropriately surrounded by hazard texture) will kill anyone in the main room who is not in a box. The killbox is also covering the tele entrances, so there's literally not a single safe corner. In an effort to quell the people who will undoubtedly interfere with spycrabs, I've put in a barrier between the orange and blue boxes so even if a non-spy comes along, they can't hit any one. (The Control room also has a sheet of glass in front of it, but the host's view is a no-draw so there's no annoying texture in the way). The main room is available for spectating, but basically forces any troublemakers to rethink their actions. If they cause a problem, they will be killed and it will understandably upset the rest of the people who want to watch. Alternatively, the troublemaker can be removed via other means (kick and/or ban).
Doors. Nothing too special, but upon hitting the bottom middle button, glass will slide down and close each row of boxes. The button is a toggle and is only located in the control room. That means only a Mod or Admin can trigger it.

Cons:
Limited to 24 players (+1 host) - In all reality, unless it's a serverwide unusual spycrab, you're not going to get more than 20 participating.
The design (as in the decoration) isn't flawless, but I figured that nobody would really be focused on how pretty the walls are.
The teleporters. It came down to a decision of a long, twisty hallway for each side or a teleporter. In an effort to keep the area compact, I opted for the teleporters, but as with all teleporters, there is that delay of a few seconds in between each teleport. Currently searching for a quicker method, but no promises.

E1TRGuo.jpg

Taunt Game room done:
It's basically a copy of the spycrab room, but with changed features.
Tick's idea was to have a button that again will kill everyone in the room, which is done.
I also turned the shield glass into a door so the host who is trying to be tauntkilled can hit the button, jump down into the "arena" and the door will close after them.
The boxes were removed as well as the barricading doors for them.
Added a bit more light.
Same killbox as before, so no-clipping isn't a concern.

Left to do:
ROCKET JUMP PLATFORMS :D
Smaller minor spycrab boxes for non-event use.
General cleanup, and bugfixing, including signs to indicate which teleporter going where.

Will be finishing this up tomorrow. I have class tonight :C

nb

DARKLY Regular
You had me at Rocket Jumping Cmp™ ! :somuchwin: oh, also, just read what Jakk wrote. Any and all flame I start will be re-directed to the Official Shit On Each Other Thread. I promise. :)