• Guest, join us on Mumble!

Mumble Voice Communication -- IP: 216.52.148.10 Port: 14600 Channel: WarZ

The War Z (Zombie Survival MMO)

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
Seems a lot like DayZ, but with less hackers, and a less nazi dev team.

Misc info: One time 29.99 no subscription MMO like DayZ characters are single life(die and game over) but you can save more than one character.

Whats the difference between DayZ and The War Z:
I think that our biggest difference is that War Z is build around game world and concept that you HAVE to cooperate with other players to survive. If you go over list of features, most of them are not gameplay elem,ents - they're tools created for players to try different ways to interact with other players.

And this is why I think it's unfair to compare those two products. Day Z team spent 90% time trying to put zombies into world of hardcore military sim. We spent 90% of time designing new ways for players to interact with each other in a world, and okay - this world happend to be zombie infested post apoc world
smile.png

Everything else - zombies, survival aspect, scavenging for food, etc - it's all there, but I don't think it'll matter if we won't deliver living breathing world and means for players to build their own game experiences.

How will zombie combat work:
You have to destroy their brain - by using either gun or hit their head with knife, baseball bat or any other melee weapon ( yes crowbars and hammers will be available
smile.png
). If you shoot them in a body - you'll be able to slow them down and temporarily put them down.

Chat in WarZ:
Chat channels :

- Global Server
- Proximity chat ( people around you in around 100 meters radius )
- Friends
- Clan

We may add more.

How will the in-game Marketplace and Currency (Dollars and Gold) work?

We use both in game currencies to basically kinda show value of the items - to set some expectations on how rare and valuable certain items are.

And we expect players to use whatever they want as trade currency. Maybe you'll decide that twinkie bars will be your world currency. We don't really care.

You can get both types of currencies by playing, but more important - you can find any single item in a world. Ie - we're not planning on having items that you can only buy in a store and not be able to find somewhere.

1) You can't buy weapons

2) You can't buy skills

3) you can't buy good protective gear

Everything in markletplace will be sold for either DOLLARS - money that you find in a gameworld, or GOLD - currency you receive for selling harvested zombie stem cells. You can also buy GOLD using real world currency.

70-80% of things in marketplace will be sold for DOLLARS, so uinless you play game alot, you won't be able to buy them anyway.

Everything that is sold in marketplace is available for free in a game - things like food, water, etc.

Reason for marketplace is simple - we just offering players more freedom - what they want to do in a game. Maybe they just want adventure, so they spend time killing zombies, hunting for bandits, etc. And they receive some in game currency for that, so they spend it to buy their food instead of spending time trying to find it in a world.

We don't sell weapons, and other things that can affect power balance.

What weapons will be in WarZ?

Melee weapons - several different items. Pretty common

Crossbow - relatively common

handguns - relatively common

Shotguns - relatively common

Civilian assault rifles like AR-15, semi auto M4, etc - relatively rare

Civilian sniper rifles - relatively rare

Military grade assault rifles - rare

Military grade sub machine guns - rare

Machine guns - very rare

Military sniper rifles including .50 - extremely rare

Cool assault rifles and SMGs - extremely rare

grenade launchers, rocket launchers, grenades, mines - super extremely rare. I mean not just rare, but truly epic items.

How many Weapons will we be able to Carry & Equip?

You can have two weapons eqipped in "hot slots" - ie something you can switch on fly. One slot is for rifles, crossbow, etc, other for either handgun or melee.

You can cary as many as you like in your backpack as long as total weight is lower that max weight you can carry and there're free slots in backpack.

Will there be incentive for players to cooperative with each other? And will there be a Reputation/Humanity Sytem?

Your reputation will affect how other players react on you. It will affect how security forces of safe settlments react on you.

So technically - YES you can kill everyone you can see, but then you may end up in situation that you'll be denied help by other players just because they don't like your reputation level. Once again - not because we said so, but because they just may decide that they don't want to help jerk.

Will we be able to build communities?

YES you'll be able to do that. You will be able to do that by taking over towns, settlements on the main map, or by owning specially designed server instanced "mini worlds", where you can do whatever you want and build your own fortress if you like.

What are Safe Zones exactly?

2. Safe Zones.
Safe zones will be like 3-4 per map. Ie - rare and far away from each other. They mostly serves as social hubs, for creating missions for other players, trade and transfer items from your backpacks to your "stash aka global inventory".
They're protected but not entirely safe - nobody prevents bandit to snipe people in safe zones from far away, nobody prevents group of bandits attack settlement and kill everyone.

Rest of the world, towns, villages, other settlements are for players to explore and claim their own

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
Anti-Cheat / Hack Prevention?
i don't think that rocket can do anything about it in DayZ - this is engine problem. After all Arma, Unreal Engine, etc, etc have been developed mostly for single player gameplay, with very limited networking code.

Eclipse engine that powers War Z, or for example games like World of Tanks or LEague of Legend or WOw have been developed to be server controlled massive multiplayer games from the start.

Yes, there's still hacks that can be done on CLIENT side - most obvious is wallhack, but we're doing different tricks to prevent that.

more info:

http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread.php?603-The-War-Z-Official-Developer-Quotes

TurboTaco

TD Admin
The game looks promising. If it can deliver wat dayz has been doing and more (less hacks, better gfx, more gameplay elements, etc) then it will be great. I am worried of more zombie mmo survivals that will essentially steal the game design from dayz but make it worse in some way.

We will see when some gameplay footage appears. Either way dayz is based off of shitty arma and the near-dozen of us who have gotten the game have played it a lot and enjoy it a lot too.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
The game looks promising. If it can deliver wat dayz has been doing and more (less hacks, better gfx, more gameplay elements, etc) then it will be great. I am worried of more zombie mmo survivals that will essentially steal the game design from dayz but make it worse in some way.

We will see when some gameplay footage appears. Either way dayz is based off of shitty arma and the near-dozen of us who have gotten the game have played it a lot and enjoy it a lot too.

War Z has actually been in development since before DayZ.

DayZ is great, but the hacker issue is ruining my experience personally. Have to play in servers with 1 or 2 players besides us or we just get uber hacked. Playing just us in low pop servers is only fun for so long. I want to go high pop and try and hunt other players.

It seems there is nothing the DayZ dev's can do about the how easily the game can be hacked, which sucks dick. And it isn't very heart warming or reassuring to know that the stand alone is built off another Arma engine.

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
looks like too many zee's, would hate it to be a spamfest like l4d

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
looks like too many zee's, would hate it to be a spamfest like l4d

Doubt that is the case, according to the dev's ammo is scarce. I would guess they just used tons of Z's for the teaser screen shots?

However, I disagree I think Denver(game map 1 is colorado) should be FLOODED with Z's. No way a skyscraper city can have only 10-20 z's in it

TurboTaco

TD Admin
Check out the war z website and go to preorder. Type your email and you could be invited to their closed beta sometime at the end of summer. Wouldnt be bad givin the game a try before payin money for it.