• Guest, we are looking for good Team Fortress 2 Trade Server Staff Members

TF2 Staff Members have access to in-game administrative abilities to aid in server control, and help in the development of Darkly TF2 as a whole

ON HOLD TF2 Moderator Application for Stan Radner

Stan Radner

DARKLY Regular
Game Handle(s): Stan Radner (DARKLY | Stan Radner)
SteamID: STEAM_0:1:63263601
Previous Clan/Community affiliations: Lotus
Real First Name: Steve
Which DARKLY TF2 servers do you play on: I server hop frequently every 2-4 hours between 1-5
Why do you want to be a DARKLY TF2 Admin: I have numerous hours of experience of being an administrator on various games and gaming networks. I want to help players, specifically in-game, with any problems that may occur and to simply keep the server a fun place for new and returning players. I take pride in the work I have accomplished in administering other game servers and would definitely like to help out with DARKLY's Team Fortress 2 Trade servers by enforcing the set rules. I have come across previous DARKLY moderators/administrators on different Team Fortress 2 Trading servers that seem to disregard many rules (such as mic spamming, chat spamming, and taking advantage of game modification files) which then upsets the current online players. I understand that becoming a moderator/administrator entitles many privileges/responsibilities and I am one to adhere to them. I can also help with projects outside of the DARKLY servers as I go to college for Programming, 3D Modeling & Animations, and Video Game Design.

Edit (2/21/2014 6:39 PM): Noticing MANY staff members (Mods and Admins) clustering on Toronto TF2 Trade/Idle #2. Other servers seem to get barely, if not any, staff on them. When I asked different staff members to server hop and simply moderate the place they either denied or replied with a snobby remark.

YES/NO Questions:

Do you have a minimum of 1 month on the server with at least 60 hours of play? Yes
Do you have a mic? Yes.
Are you in good standing with the community? Yes.
Are you at least 18 years of age? Yes.

HappySticks™

TD Admin
Thank you for applying Stan Radner!
That is not a bad application at all.
It is always nice to have some users with experience show interested.
For my curiosity can you tell where you administrated?

The link provided above by Mizzterrr will direct you to your server stats page.
With that being said however, you do not quite meet the required 60 hours of playing time.
As of right now, you have just over 14 hours of total connection time.
Many applicants do not meet the requirements at the beginning, so do not worry to much.
Just sit back, continue playing on the servers, get to know the rest of the community and wait for it to happen.

Good luck :)

Note: Once you meet the requirements there will be no need to re-submit this application nor bump it.

Stan Radner

DARKLY Regular
I have been an administrator on various Minecraft servers (ranging from 30-100 players), a Counter-Strike: Source server, a Team Fortress Classic Server, a Half-Life server, and am currently the most active administrator on a continuing Minecraft server and it's respective Enjin website. I have been a moderator for about 4 years on RuneScape before quitting the game. I am also the head administrator at my college's open source digital project (a work in progress MMORPG) that has been going on for about 6 months now.

Stan Radner

DARKLY Regular
Posts like "you literally have to be friends with the asshole mods/admins on #2" will not earn you any respect from the current staff.

If you're going to be selected as staff then act like it. This is nothing against you Happy, but when multiple people are complaining about an issue and I server hop to get help from one of them but instead get snobby remarks or get told to find someone else to help me then I'm going to get upset. You need to see things from my point of view on this. If you, and many others, had issues with multiple people and you sought help but instead were given nasty, snobby, and ignorant responses how would you feel? If that is how I am to be treated when I politely ask for help then I am entitled to my opinion and I have reasoning for it. In my own opinion and from being staff on many games when you are given such responsibilities as a Mod/Admin you're role is to moderate and/or administrate activities. Hopefully you see things from where I am coming from and once again it is nothing towards you. Thank you.

HappySticks™

TD Admin
If you're going to be selected as staff then act like it. This is nothing against you Happy, but when multiple people are complaining about an issue and I server hop to get help from one of them but instead get snobby remarks or get told to find someone else to help me then I'm going to get upset.
Never did I think that your statement was directed solely at myself, but as a moderator you become part of the team and when you said what you said it is directed at us as a whole. I have no idea who you are, I mean i have interacted with you but I do not really know you. It is all about your first impressions, it can make or break you, just think about having a complete stranger who just applied to a job say that the workers there suck. You would not want to hire them for that job. The team needs to effectively bond with each other in order to function at its fullest. Everything that you do and say will fall back onto the rest of us. One rotten apple can ruin it, in my personal opinion I do not want someone with a bad attitude toward other moderators involved.

You need to see things from my point of view on this. If you, and many others, had issues with multiple people and you sought help but instead were given nasty, snobby, and ignorant responses how would you feel? If that is how I am to be treated when I politely ask for help then I am entitled to my opinion and I have reasoning for it. In my own opinion and from being staff on many games when you are given such responsibilities as a Mod/Admin you're role is to moderate and/or administrate activities.
I can completely see where you are coming from with this, remember I was a regular member with no admin abilities for quite a long time too and had to work at it so I know that feeling when you have a nuisance on the server with no one to help stop them, I get it. But at the same time, if no admin is readily available or willing to help then please file out a report. That is what it is there for and before my acceptance I had filed over fifty ban reports which in the end showed that I was eager to help out. Really, as an admin your overall goal is to limit the number of reports that get submitted on the forums, but if no one can help then just go for it. Doing so will also show that you are willing to help rid of nuisances and can not hurt your chances of being approved.

I have no idea who you confronted to help with the situation but off the top of my head I cannot think of one single admin that would refuse to help someone with an issue. Perhaps, like Journey stated you were being rude about it or something of that sort but even so I can not see anyone refusing. If you ever need help with an issue then please comment on my profile before adding me and I will address the situation appropriately no matter how rude you are to me.

I am not one of those individuals that strictly plays on #2 even though I find myself on it very often. I enjoy venturing out into the wild, meeting new people and making DGN a better place to play.

Thanks.

Stan Radner

DARKLY Regular
Gatherix Thank you for your response and I will definitely contact you or Zackychuu if there is a problem.

HappySticks™ You make a lot of fine points and I will start filling out reports when they are needed. I would like to apologize for the rude comment said.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Gatherix effectively dealt with this, but I'd figure I'd throw in a couple cents.

WALL OF TEXT:

Stan Radner I administer/moderate as part of two different communities. Darkly Trade is the second one, a UK-based Minecraft one being the first.

At times it can be challenging because the MC one tries to be a lot more family friendly than the more mature-oriented community of Darkly. For example, in the MC community, we don't put up with racism or homophobia. There, we ban them for a week and if the person does it again, they're gone, usually for good. Here, racism, while still not allowed, does not usually get such a harsh instantaneous consequence (unless the dumbass in question spams it). I'm not quite sure of the stance on homophobia here, so can't really comment on that. For me, it can be hard to remember to switch modes of moderation. I have to remember that more stuff flies here and it gets frustrating.

My point is that as a Moderator, you're going to get tons of flack because the fact is, there will be players who consider themselves above the rules and will do whatever the hell they want and they won't like being told no. But that's their problem. They logged into Darkly's servers, they agree to play by Darkly rules. There is no way around that.

But on the other hand, there are times it gets to the point that we get fed up with it and take off and have no interest in dealing with the players' backtalk. And it sounds like that's what you got, the frustration of dealing with players that was misdirected. Not condoning that, but from what I know of the other staff, I don't know any of them to be a dick intentionally, or at least not without a hell of a reason, so I'd just chock it up to a bad day. Most of the staff hangs around 2 because that's where it's the most chill. I'm usually bouncing between 1, 2, and 3, but 2 is my favorite.

When it comes down to it here, you need to be able to do a few things to be an effective moderator/admin/official joykiller. Note: this is just what I do and I haven't been demoted yet, so it must be working =P
1. Hold your ground - Like I said, you'll get a lot of flack from a lot of stubborn people. Too bad. They're in our community, they play by the rules laid out. If they don't like it, they can gtfo. If they don't gtfo and keep doing it? Make them gtfo. That's really how it is. I'm not saying all rule-breakers are like that. Some just slip up and need a reminder, some just have a bad day. Bird's approach is really effective. He tells the person that we all want to have a good time and we want the person to have fun with us, but they need to be cool about it. I've seen it in action and it works like magic, but sometimes it doesn't and we gotta deal with them. I usually can't take that approach because it works better over mic and I'm not a big mic user. One thing that I do is if someone is causing trouble, I ask them to add me so they can basically get all of their frustration out on someone who can take it. It's also a test to see if the person is actually interested in playing here or is just here to be a dick.
2. Remember the game - Despite the popularity of this game among younger players, TF2 is actually a mature rated game. Most TF2 communties allow players to trash talk to an extent, but nobody wants to get bullied. The point here is that just keep an eye on the banter. Most of the time, they'll keep themselves in line, and you can relax, but not always.
3. Status command in console - When someone is causing a problem, I go to the console, type status and take a screenshot. This gives me their SteamID and from there, they really can't escape. Unless they stop being a dick, which doesn't happen very often unfortunately. If you have to make a report, go to SteamRep.com, put in their SteamID and you'll get the collection of information that looks like this:

| steamname: Cmp™
| steamID32: STEAM_0:0:44523303
| steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198049312334
| customURL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/cmptrzd1592
| steamrep: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198049312334

4. Remember to have fun - Looking over this so far, it sounds pretty negative and foreboding, so it'd probably be a good idea to mention the good parts. For me, the frustration pays off when you are able to diffuse a situation in game without having to remove anyone. A lot of problems come from miscommunicatiion and blows up, but when a Mod can step in, calm things down and get everyone back to playing the game, that's the job right there. That's why I still do it. You get the gratitude of the other players who just wanted to have fun, plus the sense of accomplishment of knowing you did the right thing.

After all this, this seems like a few dollars instead of a couple cents. =P Still, I hope I got the point across.

I think you have a pretty good head on your shoulders and you have a good app. Not sure if you've hit the time quota yet, though it's entirely possible you have since you first put your app up. I'll give you a +1 for now. Keep your head up and your feet planted and you should be just fine =)

Stan Radner

DARKLY Regular
Cmp™ Thank you for your reply. The information you provided is very helpful and I enjoyed reading what you had to say. I'm very familiar with being staff on Minecraft servers and generally how strict they are with rules because of younger audiences. I don't think I have reached the 60 hours of playtime just yet because I've been somewhat busy with college work and other various activities. You seem like a cool and very respectable guy.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Cmp™ Thank you for your reply. The information you provided is very helpful and I enjoyed reading what you had to say. I'm very familiar with being staff on Minecraft servers and generally how strict they are with rules because of younger audiences. I don't think I have reached the 60 hours of playtime just yet because I've been somewhat busy with college work and other various activities. You seem like a cool and very respectable guy.

Hey, man, I know the feeling. Working on wrapping up another quarter in the upcoming weeks. And thanks for the compliment, same to you.

Feel free to add me. I'm usually available to chat and answer questions. If I'm online and I don't answer, I'm probably afk or just not paying attention, but I will get back to you =)

Tick Tock Man

Senior TF2 Admin
Staff member
I am curious as to why you are threatening players with admin when you don't have any...?

Feb 21, 2014 6:04:58 pm Osf that's it you're geting banned DARKLY | Toronto TF2 Trade/Idle #3 | darklytrade.com
Feb 21, 2014 6:04:26 pm Or someone air blast someone in DARKLY | Toronto TF2 Trade/Idle #3 | darklytrade.com
Feb 21, 2014 6:04:19 pm Someone let me jump on top of them DARKLY | Toronto TF2 Trade/Idle #3 | darklytrade.com
Feb 21, 2014 6:03:13 pm Osf if you dont stop you're getting kicked DARKLY | Toronto TF2 Trade/Idle #3 | darklytrade.com
Feb 21, 2014 6:01:52 pm OSy stop or you're getting kicked DARKLY | Toronto TF2 Trade/Idle #3 | darklytrade.com

As a general rule we frown upon admin impersonation....

(On page 10 of the chat logs) - http://darkly.gameme.com/player_histories/chat/716356

Also, mods don't have noclip - so if you see one flying around and killing people it's because of a RTD roll, and it will be indicated in chat..

Stan Radner

DARKLY Regular
I am curious as to why you are threatening players with admin when you don't have any...?

Feb 21, 2014 6:04:58 pm Osf that's it you're geting banned DARKLY | Toronto TF2 Trade/Idle #3 | darklytrade.com
Feb 21, 2014 6:04:26 pm Or someone air blast someone in DARKLY | Toronto TF2 Trade/Idle #3 | darklytrade.com
Feb 21, 2014 6:04:19 pm Someone let me jump on top of them DARKLY | Toronto TF2 Trade/Idle #3 | darklytrade.com
Feb 21, 2014 6:03:13 pm Osf if you dont stop you're getting kicked DARKLY | Toronto TF2 Trade/Idle #3 | darklytrade.com
Feb 21, 2014 6:01:52 pm OSy stop or you're getting kicked DARKLY | Toronto TF2 Trade/Idle #3 | darklytrade.com

As a general rule we frown upon admin impersonation....

As you can see I am not impersonating anyone. I never said "I am a mod/admin and I will ban you"...the evidence to prove that has been kindly provided by you. There was a problem with a player on the server and I said that he's going to get banned and I had the intent to file a report but then did not because I realized it would get denied because he's not breaking any rules which I had viewed previously by doing !rules. Then later you can see I told him to stop or he would be getting kicked because I had then changed intentions to server hop to bring an administrator on the server but decided against it. I think after that you can see logs of me trying to do !votekick, !votemute, and !calladmin which I either had no access to or the command did not exist.

People have also asked me if I am a mod/administrator and I have politely responded with something along the lines of "I am not one but my application is currently under review" which you can most likely see through the text chat logs. I'm not sure if you have voice chat logs but if you do you can also pull up evidence of me denying that I am an administrator with a specific player.

Stan Radner

DARKLY Regular
Here is the evidence so you don't have to go looking for it.

Feb 23, 2014 11:08:28 pm But I try to keep the server fun. DARKLY | Toronto TF2 Trade/Idle #3 | darklytrade.com
Feb 23, 2014 11:08:16 pm I have a moderator application currently under review DARKLY | Toronto TF2 Trade/Idle #3 | darklytrade.com

Feb 23, 2014 10:31:06 pm However, I try to keep the place fun and have fun in general. DARKLY | Toronto TF2 Trade/Idle #3 | darklytrade.com
Feb 23, 2014 10:30:44 pm No, my application is currently under review. DARKLY | Toronto TF2 Trade/Idle #3 | darklytrade.com

Hopefully this assures you that what you are thinking is false.

Tick Tock Man

Senior TF2 Admin
Staff member
Saying you weren't an admin 2 days later is a bit beside the point wouldn't you say?

You told a player to stop a specific action or be kicked, then claimed he was going to be banned - how is this not pretending to be an admin?
I mean it's one thing to say you will report the behaviour to an admin - it's something else altogether to say that a specific admin response will be employed.
Saying, "That's it - you are gettting banned" suggests that whether this player gets banned is up to you, even if you only report it - and that simply is not the case.

I have to say if I saw a player saying this to another - I would have to conclude they were pretending to have power they don't to threaten them...

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
If I may.

I talked to Stan about this on Steam and he didn't see the phrases he said as actually impersonating staff, but rather as a way of saying that he could get in contact with a staff member to deal with the troublemaker. As soon as I read that, I realized the issue and explained to him what the problem was. I explained to him that in our many examples of actual staff impersonation, the phrases there and what he(Stan) said are virtually identical. After explaining that, he seemed to have realized the problem.

After this situation, I feel I can safely say that it won't happen again now that all parties (hopefully) realize that it was just a misunderstanding.

I still trust Stan's judgement and I have no doubt he'll take this as a lesson and learn from it.

Thanks =)