Teksavvy Cable or DSL for the Best Routing to TD's Toronto CS:GO Server?

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
If you have <10,000 pakies per square mile, you live in the boonies lol

So everywhere outside of Toronto is the boonies?

This is why the rest of Canada hates Toronto... Torontofags have no idea what Canada is like. Not all of Canada is infested with third world trash... just Toronto.

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
Cable: https://secure.dslreports.com/forum...changes-to-rCable-or-Cable-over-Rogers-lines-
DSL: https://secure.dslreports.com/forum...-changes-to-DSL-or-services-on-Bell-lines-ON-

TSI Marc said:
The rate change is not because of the change in cap, the costs have gone up significantly based on the actual usage on your tier and combined with the imminent rate changes we are expecting.

TSI Marc said:
Of the $5, $4-$5 of it is because usage costs have gone up because users are using it more as was actually measured currently.

That's the final straw for me, $5 increase for my 35/3 package with a bonehead explanation; I haven't gotten near my 300GB cap, yet it sounds like I'm paying for others and that they were really buying marginally less per their advertised 300GB per user (sleezy). They also haven't fixed the ongoing latency, slowness, and drop-outs and now we know why because they didn't purchase the bandwidth they advertised and stopped us from going over the real limit. I'm going to switch over to Start Communications 30/5 Unlimited package.

Last edited:

MetalLobster

TD Admin
That's a shame, I've been looking around for a new ISP and I've considered switching to TekSavvy. My current ISP, Acanac Inc., has pulled this shit too, although they just pulled a Rogers and did it silently.

The reviews for Start Communications look good on dsl report, good luck on the ISP change.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Although I love teksavvy, I have absolutely zero loyalty. I'm tired of getting raped because I'm Canadian and will drop any and everyone given the chance at a better service for cheaper.

I'm gonna look at Start, as suggested by up and atom. Thank you for the heads up @up-n-atom.

Or, back to codecs, save on shit Pakistani TV and cable Internet. I don't even reach 100gb/month, most months 50...

$alvador

TD Member
Start is charging more than I'm paying Bell for the same 25/10 FTTN with the same cap. Also, the VDSL modem they're offering only has 802.11n while Bell is already on a model with 802.11ac. Say what you want about loyalty but the customer retention agents can see how long you've been a customer and treat you accordingly. I haven't paid the advertised price for as long as I can remember but I'll bet my ass that TekSavvy customers do.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
That's a given, it's one of the big three. Years of ass-rape does pay off, but you'd have paid way more than all of us over the years.

$alvador

TD Member
*shrug* We all make decisions on where to draw the line in paying for a service or good. Do you also shop around for car insurance? How about when it comes time to do taxes, do you make an effort to deduct everything you could possibly deduct? The fact of the matter is TekSavvy publicly shits on its customers and is known for taking weeks to resolve even minor issues. I just don't agree with accepting such terms just to save <$100/year.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
The fact of the matter is TekSavvy publicly shits on its customers and is known for taking weeks to resolve even minor issues. I just don't agree with accepting such terms just to save <$100/year.
You're usually smart, I don't know where these obviously false claims are coming from so I'm exiting this conversation. You're wearing a BELL shirt, and that's cool. Everybody's gotta work somewhere..

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
Start is charging more than I'm paying Bell for the same 25/10 FTTN with the same cap. Also, the VDSL modem they're offering only has 802.11n while Bell is already on a model with 802.11ac. Say what you want about loyalty but the customer retention agents can see how long you've been a customer and treat you accordingly. I haven't paid the advertised price for as long as I can remember but I'll bet my ass that TekSavvy customers do.

I've had a bad experience with Bell Fibe and cancelled without penalty 6 months into a 1 year bundled contract. I live in an older neighborhood and the infrastructure is past its life with little in terms of upgrade plans and they couldn't provide a stable connection. I'm having similar problems with cable but it's been overall stable and Rogers have provided me a spring date fix. I own my own modems and to date it's less than $2/mo. and will keep going lower as more times goes by. I've got a lot of distaste towards CPE gateways and prefer single purpose hardware, plus I have every room wired. My bandwidth requirements are roughly 200GB/mo. and I can't get that for under $80/mo. from the incumbents. I'd like to go unlimited and be less diligent with my usage and Start advertises that for $60/mo. which is $4 more then what I will end up paying after TekSavvy's price increase. Throughout my last 20 years of high-speed internet I've been with Bell Sympatico, Golden (now Execulink), AEI, TekSavvy DSL/Acanac DSL (home/cottage), Bell Fibe and now TekSavvy Cable which has been the most enjoyable. I have no qualms about switching but it won't be for an incumbent and definitely not DSL last mile/Fibre unless these old copper lines get replaced.

$alvador

TD Member
^ true it depends a lot on where you are and what's available there.

You're usually smart, I don't know where these obviously false claims are coming from so I'm exiting this conversation. You're wearing a BELL shirt, and that's cool. Everybody's gotta work somewhere..

back when TekSavvy had only been in business a few months, there were a lot of people complaining about hook-up times and other wrinkles. Marc came out swinging, disrespecting the customers. Maybe the company does try to provide the best service they can, but when it's not working out it doesn't make a lot of sense to start chewing out the customers on a public forum. I don't know how far back DSLReports archives stuff but you may still find these posts somewhere in a deluge of angry customer responses.

Maybe I am biased towards Bell, but that's just because I've been a customer for so long. The level of service and support I've gotten has actually improved over the past ten years, although I do live right in one of their oldest service areas. I agree fully that price is important, I'm not really sure why you think <$70/mo. for 300GB of 25/10 + 1GB mobile data amounts to ass-rape but I did shop around and wasn't able to find any other company willing to give me ONLY the services I want without forcing me to choose between packages bundling services I don't need.

E|ement^ #Torontogaming

DARKLY Regular
isn't DSL more expensive meg per meg then cable? Also if you live in the DT core or newer building I would suggest "beanfield" google them. they are installing their own fiber optic cables in buildings and therefore wont rely on bell or rogers! amazing prices. When I buy a condo sometime this year I will make sure it has beanfield fiber in it.

MetalLobster

TD Admin
isn't DSL more expensive meg per meg then cable? Also if you live in the DT core or newer building I would suggest "beanfield" google them. they are installing their own fiber optic cables in buildings and therefore wont rely on bell or rogers! amazing prices. When I buy a condo sometime this year I will make sure it has beanfield fiber in it.

Beanfield isn't the only one delivering fibre in the core.

http://www.fibrestream.ca/

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Dsl is way cheaper than cable. I'm not sure if it's because of the technology or because of the rape from the major cable telcos, but it's true everywhere I look.

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
I didn't end up switching to Start as I said I would in a previous post and kept with TekSavvy. The reason being was Rogers discontinued my modem and if I switched plans or providers I was looking at $150 for a new modem and I couldn't justify the cost, especially if you read the landscape on cable modems. Fast track to the last 3 months and TekSavvy raised their rate again and implemented Shared Internet Resource Policy with a $5 a month opt-out. So for all of last year I was paying $56.95 a month and for the last 3 months I was paying $59.95 with SIR for my grandfathered 35/3 400GB package. Last week my internet went down and it required a Rogers technician which caused me to look at switching again and today I took the plunge. Rogers has a promo until the end of the month for 100/10 unlimited bandwidth including free modem and shomi at $64.95 a month on a 2 year locked term plus a 1 time fee of $14.95 activation and $9.95 self install (this last fee is ridiculous). I don't know if the free shomi for the term is part of the offer or if it was because I told them I have Netflix when they tried to up sell me on a cable TV bundle and I didn't ask. Rogers also took care of the cancellation with TekSavvy but I phoned them to confirm. What is most surprising is that after the phone call order all I needed to do was drive down to my local Rogers store, pick up a modem, and plug it in (FYI switched it to bridge mode and still rock my DIY pfSense router). I did not have to wait X amount of business days for a transfer and was browsing the web at 100/10 in less than an hour. Overall I pay $5 a month more but I get more in speed, bandwidth, shomi, and now maybe I can get Rogers to repair the aging junction outside our house since I'm finally an official customer.

Code:
D:\Users\Adam>tracert 74.91.123.216

Tracing route to c-74-91-123-216.managed-ded.internap-nyc.nfoservers.com [74.91.
123.216]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  pfSense.localdomain [10.100.1.1]
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    13 ms    10 ms    11 ms  69.63.243.249
  4    25 ms    16 ms   129 ms  van58-9-231-29.dynamic.rogerstelecom.net [209.14
8.231.29]
  5    23 ms    21 ms    21 ms  24.156.144.178
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7    32 ms    34 ms    42 ms  be2765.ccr41.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.45
.17]
  8    34 ms    35 ms    34 ms  be2717.ccr21.cle04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.6.
222]
  9    40 ms    43 ms    37 ms  be2889.ccr41.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.47
.50]
10    37 ms    37 ms    48 ms  be2324.ccr21.jfk04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.47
.18]
11    38 ms    37 ms    39 ms  38.88.194.86
12    39 ms    98 ms    37 ms  border2.pc2-bbnet2.ext1.nym.pnap.net [216.52.95.
79]
13    36 ms    37 ms    36 ms  inap-b2.e3.router.nyc.nfoservers.com [70.42.74.2
54]
14    37 ms    36 ms    37 ms  c-74-91-123-216.managed-ded.internap-nyc.nfoserv
ers.com [74.91.123.216]

Trace complete.

Last edited: