Tablets.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
I know very little on this topic, so any of you with first hand experience it would be very appreciated. I'm looking to buy a tablet to use mainly for reading. Email and netflix would be cool, but is all icing on the cake.

I don't plan on ever buying a single book for this device :scumbag: so ease of use loading pirated epubs/pdfs/mobi/doc files is the biggest need I have for this device. Uni textbook publishers can suck my fucking dick.

Nook HD ? Kindle Fire HD?

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
The Fire and Nook are so inexpensive because Amazon and Barnes & Noble sell them at a loss so they can control the content available on it and use it as an advertising platform. If you're willing to spend the extra dough, go for a Nexus 7. It has access to all the regular Android apps, better device overall, and you'll have a much easier time working with your 'books'.

$alvador

TD Member
I got my tablet specifically for this purpose as well and just went to dx.com and got one of Chinese ones. There's no DRM bullfuck, it actually shipped with a pirated version of Surrogates already on the internal memory, also came rooted so it was easy to get in and purge all the weird Chinese apps. I made the mistake of getting a widescreen tablet thinking it would be better for reading PDFs, turns out that resolution sucks for reading but it's great for HD media. Either way if you don't want to pay out the ass dx.com is imho the best place to get a tablet

Hinouchi

TD Admin
I do not trust those Chinese brand from dex.com at all, than again you get what you pay for. What's your budget Steve?

DevilMayCare

Future Ban List Occupant
Currently using the Samsung Tab 2 10" Currently have given the device root access and have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CyanogenMod
Video Play is great.
resolution is 1280 x 800
Has a Dual Core Processor
16 gigs of internal
Sound Quality is really good for what it is can watch things on netflix with out being displeased.
Battery must be from Korea because it has the best battery life of almost any battery I have used before I get days if not weeks on a charge on standard use.

Downsides would be no USB ports

Possibly more then you need if you just want bare bones but none the less a good device if you plan to spend a little bit.

MetalLobster

TD Admin
Used to own a Nexus 7 that I got from Kijiji and it was solid.For rooting, it was a dream compared to Samshit devices.

Only sold it because I'm broke as shit.

Hinouchi

TD Admin
Either Nexus 7 $229 cnd or Kindle Fire HD $254 cnd would be good.

Kindle Fire HD with a faster cpu and have bigger battery, but they run their own firmware Amazon Android Mojito 3.0

Nexus, slower cpu, smaller battery, NFC support, firmware update from Google first.

Everything else is pretty much the same.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
Whats NFC support? And are there any tricks to piracy with either? Or just drag and drop ez mode etc etc?

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
Whats NFC support? And are there any tricks to piracy with either? Or just drag and drop ez mode etc etc?
Bonus points if I can use a torrent app on either lol

Since the Fire ships with Amazon's custom firmware as Hinouchi said, it'll be harder doing things like using pirates media or torrenting; last I checked (which admittedly was awhile ago) you'd have to root it and get the stock Android marketplace/install custom apps to do that, which would require some certainly possible but tedious tweaking. The Nexus's completely stock Android firmware means you can do those things out of the box with an app download.

I don't know much about the current Fire models, though. A lot might've changed.

NFC is Near Field Communication. Kinda like Bluetooth. Shouldn't matter to you at all.

amanshotme

TD Member
Currently use my nexus 7 as a client to my media server. Works decently enough. Don't know if there's any torrent apps out there (any good ones anyway), but I end up downloading torrents on my tablet, and send it to my server's torrent client via a remote app (Transmission remote is the one I use).

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I don't like tablets because I guess I don't have a use for them other than reading while shitting - which may very well lead me to purchase an iPad, however if you're pirating shit, definitely go Android.

With Android, you'll have to do some upkeep once in a while (i.e. reboot it, memory clean app etc.). Also with Android, you'll find some flavours - a version of Android with an overlay from the manufacturer - Samsung has Samsung Kies, Kindle will have it's Amazon overlay, etc. so be aware it's not just Android you're buying. As above, Samsung is usually harder [more tedious] to root [root=admin access, basically].

Nexus is always popular because Nexus is Google's developer brand, meaning it will always be the latest, greatest and, most importantly, stock Android [no shitty overlay to slow it down/lock it down from rooting]. It may be a bit of a price bump but certainly worth every penny, I assure you.

p.s. the only reason I consider the iPad is because of the integration with my Macbook and Hackintosh and I'll only be reading and youtubing on the shitter. It's got good battery life and is easy to root/install hacked games on. Good enough for me :)

Hinouchi

TD Admin
never tried it, is the utorrent app garbage?

Never tried the mobile version, but I use that on my desktop.

and for "Ease of use loading pirated epubs/pdfs/mobi/doc"

It's pretty much drag and drop into the storage and open it with reader apps like EzPDF reader, moon reader, and so on,

Google have their reader app call Play Books, which you can either buy from their store, or you can upload your own. I'm not exactly sure which type of media it support, so do your research for the best reader app. :P

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
never tried it, is the utorrent app garbage?

uTorrent is garbage. For torrenting I'd recommend tTorrent Pro if you're willing to spend money, Flud if you want something free (aDownloader, a regular download manager, can also handle torrents). For eReaders, Aldiko is the most popular, though the free version occasionally drops an ad in and it only supports ePUB/PDF/Adobe. Google Books won't work with custom files, so you may have to do some searching as I don't know eReaders that well. There are some eBook converters out there though, so maybe Aldiko will suit you fine.

There's also some apps for browsing popular torrent sites that you may want.

kato

TD Admin
Am I the only one around here with a microsoft surface?
I love it, its basically a laptop that's around the same size as an ipad