Steelseries Siberia Elite Headphones

PBRMEASAP

A Little Darkly
After having watched a few matches from Dreamhack, a good amount of the players were rocking out these bad boys:

http://steelseries.com/us/products/audio/steelseries-siberia-elite

I got an immediate boner. These things look amazing! Retractable mic, high quality surround sound, nice long cord, super-comfy ear foam padding, the LED lights. Hot dayum, I want some! Thing is, they're $200.....not exactly cheap. Has anyone ever tried or is currently using the Elite series? Most reviews are amazingly positive for both the standard Elite series and these Siberia Elite series, just wondering if anyone has experience.

PBRMEASAP

A Little Darkly
Audio quality is supposed to be pretty stellar and top-notch, with just a little lacking on the deep bass apparently. For gaming, these are supposedly near-perfect. There's also an extra headphone jack, so you can have someone listen to the same stuff that you have on, which could be great for a movie on a plane or listening to music.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
After reading into these, I'm seriously considering..

CanadaComputers has them on online-backorder only sale for $169.99.

$alvador

TD Member
Frequency range is pretty impressive, well, assuming "16-28 KHz" means "16Hz - 28kHz". It comes with a soundcard which is a bonus, but it's closed-back which is detrimental to the sound stage. For the price you can get entry-level audiophile cans so I'm kind of dubious about the overall quality of the whole package. Steelseries designs good stuff but their manufacturing (made in China) is definitely nothing special

$alvador

TD Member
yeah Senn makes their shit in China too, the key thing is whether Steelseries knows how to design enclosures and QC drivers to the same standards as a professional audio company does. Closed-back just limits the sound stage so that most of the sounds have a limited depth, as opposed to open backed where different frequencies have a different depth so it sounds like a snare pops in your eardrum while the bassline rumbles in the distance. Audiophile cans are an equal investment in the driver quality and enclosure design to provide the most immersive sound. Some people prefer the intimacy of the closed-back sound but AFAIK only Denon has bothered making an audiophile-grade model and the price is bananas

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
the sound in my siberias v2 is fap fap. strong, crisp bass. the mic, not so much. its perfect when wearing the headset, but ranged, its poo.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
the sound in my siberias v2 is fap fap. strong, crisp bass. the mic, not so much. its perfect when wearing the headset, but ranged, its poo.
Ya, the mic isn't meant to work from distance, hence the noise-cancelling..

$alvador - well put, thanks for explaining. From what I've seen over the years and from reading online, this series of headphones is legendary. I'm willing to put $200 on something this nice...

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
Good to hear. Comfy on the ears?

i took off the strap thingy because i have a big head. i find them comfy. the usb soundcard they come with is kinda poo. i prefer the old 3.5mm jacks and run off your existing sound card.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I'm gonna grab these on Boxing day, with some other shit. They're just too good to pass up. I've been playing with shit headphones long enough lol