[SOLVED] High temps, laptop slowing down

So I have had this Hp ENVY dv7 Laptop for a little over 2 years now and for the most part it has been good but recently when I have been playing TF2 after about 30-45 minutes my FPS goes downhill pretty fast. I was thinking it might been my connection to the servers(so I connected to some regular pub servers and it was fine) however just to be safe I ran Speccy and discovered this.
Qnf5Ky4.png

The temperature of my CPU is fluctuating between 108-112 degrees Celsius and that's when I am not running TF2. I have a mount that sits underneath my laptop that has 5 cooling fans to keep it cool but apparently that is not enough. Thoughts and course of actions?

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
Clean it carefully.

Dust brings heat.

Your cpus heatsink is probably clogged with dust that traps heat in

Fork Included

TD Admin
if you have the scratch, take it to a nice computer shop and have them clean it for you and re-apply the thermal paste on your CPU. A buddy of mine did that to his old laptop and came alive

Noob.

TD Member
if you have the scratch, take it to a nice computer shop and have them clean it for you and re-apply the thermal paste on your CPU. A buddy of mine did that to his old laptop and came alive

Do you have an approximate cost for that Fork? Or should I try a mount first?

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
So Envy laptops are notorious for this: notice how small the cpu vent is on the bottom? And the lack of other vents? Take a pic for others here to see.

Second problem is that it's AMD and mobile AMD chips are known to be hot.

You're only recourse is to clean it with compressed air and buy an amazing cooling pad/fan thing.

Edit: that said, there a few things you can do to help yourself:

1. Game with your battery out and disconnected - only plug in your power cord

2. Open your RAM casing from underneath the laptop and any other casings you can open and this will allow the cooling pad to breath air inside and around the laptop. It helped me a lot when I used to use my dv-9 (non-envy).

Last edited:

Thanatos

TD Member
So I had this same problem a couple years ago with my Asus RoG laptop. It was under warranty still so I RMA'd it. Months later of back and forth and replacing the motherboard and CPU... turned out it was a $4 fan that was dirty and the dust buildup was preventing it from getting up to speed.

Step 1 before doing anything drastic, buy a can of compressed air and clean out the fan exhaust.

Hinouchi

TD Admin
If it's out of warranty already, just open it up, clean the vent, and reapply the thermal paste. A laptop cooler could drop 5c too.

All right this morning I opened up my laptop carefully for a little inspection. Everything good so I went out to my garage and turned on my Dad's air compressor. As soon as I held it one of the vents a dust cloud came out. I clean it out every two weeks so my guess is my new little air pad is actually keeping more dust in. I guess I'll just have to clean it out more frequently.
To show how many tiny vents there are.
csrjeLY.jpg

and then there is one on the side
VIt9R1d.jpg

This vent is where most of the dust came out. Gonna give OG's suggestion a try before I take it to a tech place to get it cleaned.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
i hope your joking about paying someone to clean a laptop.

Thats like paying someone to fill your tires with air.

#LaptopGamerFeels
:rip:

If I want to get it cleaned I can can get a close friend of mine to do for like 5 bucks. What did you think I would take it to Geek Squad?
:yaoming:

Fork Included

TD Admin
i hope your joking about paying someone to clean a laptop.

Thats like paying someone to fill your tires with air.

#LaptopGamerFeels
:rip:

Well, the truth is most people don't know what pressure to set their tires to even if they know how to pump them.

also, if you're someone that's never done this before, taking it to "geek" is worth it, there is a whole industry built around this stuff. Lots of tech users without tech knowledge.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
See those vents (or lack of)? Envy laptops with amd CPUs are heat bags. Compressor is good enough, a shop won't do shit for you other than re-paste, which will drop 3-5C at most.

Do the fan hack.

thewhaleman

TD Admin
HP laptops in my experience use only the cheapest of material. New thermal paste because the factory thermal paste is garbage, dusting heat syncs, and making sure it's on a flat, hard, none thermal conductive ( wood ) surface. Everything that has been suggested in this thread is standard practice. If you're uncomfortable with taking a laptop apart find a local ( Not geek squad ) small computer shop, they usually do a good job because they have to compete to stay open, also if they screw up you can hold them responsible, in most cases. I think buckshot had the best suggestion with the battery trick, it worked for a friend friend of mine for over a year.

The best solution is to upgrade to a real computer ;) Good luck, I hope your temps are low, and your frame rate it high.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I gamed cool but the setup was ridiculous:

- battery out
- two or three cork pads (you know the ones you use to sit hot pots/plates onto so you don't burn your table?) under the back to elevate the CPU vents
- removed the ram door underneath as well as the hdd doors (my hdd's were screwed in with two screws each, be careful you don't let your drives fall out)
- a room fan blowing right into the side of the laptop where the CPU vent was

My left hand was always freezing, but it cooled it down well. There's no other way. Laptops are not meant for this shit..