Sloppy backdoor recon op

$alvador

TD Member
so I got this Android phone not long ago, some off-brand Chinese job. One of the first things I did was cull the Google shit and bad widgets. the phone didn't come with any bloatware except Facecrook and Twatter apps, not weird QQ shit like expected. Later on I get an app called Network Log and randomly start logging network traffic. Since the Google apps were all removed there's little internet traffic just the regular network pings.

But wait, then I see some unknown process talking to a server in China. China? :motherofgod:

Tiem to investigate. As it was looking, unknown process was making a brief connection with this server in Shanghai whenever I connected to a WiFi or 3G network. Details on the server.

Ok, so just a Chinese phone connecting to a Chinese server wouldn't normally be too suspicious. There's no CFW for this phone so I'm just using the stock firmware modified for root. Could be totally innocent, but maybe not. The only info the Network Log app seems to be able to give is source and destination IPs and what port was being used. Not enough. I put tcpdump on the phone and caught a connection in a pcap file then exported that shit out to Windoze and scoped it in Wireshark

:lean:

oshitwatdefuckisdis

z5jACFR.png

Wh...Why is it sending my IMSI in plain text across the internet? :fulloffuck:

:shrug:

But wait, I still don't know what de fuck is sending these messages, the process only identifies as a root application on Android. Tiem for more research.

The HTTP request included a domain, http://wlans.reallytek.com . It's safe to click, the whole site is literally <15 lines of static HTML. Actually, if you know Chinese it would be nice to know what the fuck that image says. Either way, fishy setup for a fishy shell company.

Back on the phone, I'm grepping on susp files and there's a bunch of shit about boot options in this one bitch:

Code:
root@yourmomsbollocks:/ # grep -ar "wlans." /system
grep -ar "wlans." /system
/system/bin/wland: function_set.sh %s%s?action=funcset&project=%s http://wlans.reallytek.com:81 /data/.wlan/function_set
.sh %s%s?action=date /data/.wlan/boottime prop.boottime r /system/wlan/boottime prop.wlan.uid prop.sim%d.imsi %d-%d-%d %
d:%d:%d /system/wlan/uid w %04d%02d%02d%02d%02d%02d%s %s%s?action=push&uid=%s&pushid=%s %s%s?action=push&uid=%s&imsi=%s
%s%s?action=push&uid=%s /data/.wlan/bin/ #shell{-s} %s
/system/bin/wland: check core update  check push command  [ [[ test /service/wlansd the normal routine start sel
f update routine -cov core version: %d.%d.%d
/system/bin/wland: -upc -uce -upi -uie -upp -upf -pin ping -c4 -i1 -w10 wlans.reallytek.com -tst -sbt -wfs -rmw -rmo -tt
t -std -eld -edr -mdr -wkd -brq -pid -lts -ltd -scv -pls -md5 -gfs -api #update{-s -a} %s %s
/system/bin/wland: /service/wlans max_check_duration=%d http://www.reallytek.com:81 http://mail.reallytek.com:81 http://
27.115.63.14:81 waiting running succeed failed %lu %Y%m%d %d.%d.%d.%d .. . %s/%s failed to get file size copy_file(%s,%s
)

Ok so this is already starting to look like something more substantial than just some oddball tracking program. Almost at the end here. After translating most of the binary to text, what emerged was the signs of a program that communicates with a mail server to send metadata and acquire unspecified, unmentioned firmware updates to quietly install in the background. There are some other [hidden] files being called too, I haven't looked into them yet but because of the prominence of the IMSI in the details I am wildly guessing that the primary purpose is to keep tabs on the phone's location and to install spyware payloads on the phone. All I can say is... it's kind of disturbing to know this software is routine in Chinese mobile devices.

Thanks for reading

:feelsgood:

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
That's some amazing detective work. I can't say I'm at all surprised. I would be surprised if all android phones didn't have this, ever since HTC was caught key logging.

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
I'm not certain if they're using a static ip or resolving (re-read post and it looks to be resolving a domain) but since you have root modify /etc/hosts to route to localhost, change the dns server to your own or some managed service (OpenDNS) and place a block, check if netfilter/iptables is installed and add an ip/port deny rule, install a VPN client and block on the server end. You probably already know all this but it may help others.

Did Wireshark complete the switch from GTK to QT? In the development version.

Last edited:

$alvador

TD Member
cheers guys, good idea about reddit, maybe if it's posted there can get an idea as to how many devices this program is on. i haven't posted to reddit before, is there a specific subreddit this should go in?

$alvador

TD Member
This isn't even about anal. Fuck you, Sal. Fucking tease.

teehee ;)

You bought a bootleg phone from China you should have expected something like this. Nice detective work though

This is however far more concerning:
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/2ti88e/snowden_iphones_have_secret_spyware_that_lets/

It's not particularly surprising because I bought a phone that is meant for the Chinese market and I only bought it because it happened to be an international phone that works on mobile networks here. What concerns me is that I know this specific SoC is also used in Lenovo phones being sold to the European market, so there could potentially be devices sold outside China with this backdoor in them.

I'm extremely suspicious of that Snowden article for the following reasons:

1) his Russian lawyer is the one being quoted. Why not Snowden himself?

2) It centres on "recently published files from the NSA showed that British agency GCHQ used the phones UDIDs — the unique identifier that each iPhone has — to track users." Where are these recently-published files? I don't see anything on cryptome about this.

3) In 2014, Putin signed into law some local data storage mandate (random link about this) and since then, Apple has announce that with iOS 8 there will be local encryption so that even if they comply with the new (current) Russian law, it's meaningless because authority will need hands-on access to your device to decrypt.

This article reeks of Russian doublespeak; decrying Apple for being insecure (with not one shred of evidence) while in the background the authorities are compelling companies to store data locally so that they Russian authorities can break down the datacentre's doors and forcibly compel the admins to comply with any request.