Server downtime for maintenance, conversion, or update.

wh1te

TD Member
Just wondering since it was not posted anywhere to the public that I know of:

Can we get any maintenance, server switches, or updates for-warned somewhere on the forums or main page?

Just so players can plan ahead if wanting to scrim or pub.

This is brought as the private servers are down, and mumble is now down.

Thanks.

DrUgZ

TD Admin
I don't want to sound like a dick here, but having all these requests for live updates of posts or server schedules takes time and effort. The guys who handle the website/servers do this for free, on their own time. Just keep that in mind when making requests like this. I'm not trying to break balls, but some of the things being requested as of late are kind of unnecessary or time consuming to maintain and keep updated on a constant basis.
Announcements are usually made when there are any major things happening, but sometimes these things can slip the mind.
That being said, those servers are being changed over as we are dumping the chicago box where they were hosted. we will have them back up ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience!
(If you need to be in the know, then pop in on Live Chat, that's where most of TD's shit gets done!)

I don't want to sound like a dick here, but having all these requests for live updates of posts or server schedules takes time and effort. The guys who handle the website/servers do this for free, on their own time. Just keep that in mind when making requests like this. I'm not trying to break balls, but some of the things being requested as of late are kind of unnecessary or time consuming to maintain and keep updated on a constant basis.
Announcements are usually made when there are any major things happening, but sometimes these things can slip the mind.
That being said, those servers are being changed over as we are dumping the chicago box where they were hosted. we will have them back up ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience!
(If you need to be in the know, then pop in on Live Chat, that's where most of TD's shit gets done!)
Some note of what's happening is better than none.

Live chat's full of dead crickets, just saying. I know its hard on them but when no word is given, community is left in the dark. While I certainly, as well as the previous posters without a doubt understand, you have to take it from the gamers who don't give a shit about the forums for starters, their point of view, some might stop by without posting or saying anything and if they seen no reply or a message that "its being worked" on, its damaging to the server's image.

I did talk to some regulars about the Chicago one, majority is unhappy, and nearly all won't post on here, its a Trade server. -_-

Hope this isn't taken the wrong way.

wh1te

TD Member
So brades has time to record and edit a 5 minute video for the front page, but can't make a 1-liner post with the title "Moving Private Servers to A2G" or "Updating Mumble Server - Temp. Down"?

It's not hard to do this considering they are rarely down, and asking them to make a quick post regarding the situation could alleviate people's questions or concerns to why they can't play where they always do.

I posted this in feedback seeing how it could benefit the community. For a measly 30 second post (that's all it takes of their time, as you put it), could just be there for people looking for answers.

lol @ live chat - all 5 people

DrUgZ

TD Admin
It's not that it's hard, it's that most if this shit has to be cooridinated with several people. it's not all brades or LB or whomever. just sayin.
I can't say who does what or why or when. If you have an issue with how brades spends his free time when he's not at work you should take it up with him.

wh1te

TD Member
It's not that it's hard, it's that most if this shit has to be cooridinated with several people. it's not all brades or LB or whomever. just sayin.
I can't say who does what or why or when. If you have an issue with how brades spends his free time when he's not at work you should take it up with him.

Not saying it's hard at all, which is why i pointed out it takes no more than 30 seconds. Several people = skd, LB, brades, SJ - these days. Maybe bring in more people to help organize?

I've made my attempt at conversation with him. Which isn't the case here. It's just a case of getting information out to the community who play on TD and can't because they do random maintenance. :P

TurboTaco

TD Admin
I'm pretty sure there was a thread created a month or so ago asking for members/community to volunteer their time to help put articles/reviews up on our main page website. AFAIK, SJ, Skd, Brades, & LB are the only peeps who can change/edit/upload anything to the actual website.

I dunno how many people actually volunteered, and out of them, who actually followed through.

I really do think that if our trusted members are willing to volunteer their time and help out with the other "DGN Staff" then allow it. The second it is abused, remove the privs. Easy enough.

If you do volunteer tho, don't flake out on responsibility. I give mad respect to the guys who set up the website and administrate when they can. However, if the burden is getting a bit heavy, lighten the load and open up some responsibilities to members who want to give their time.

Win Win

thomastronics

TD Member
I would be willing to help with small things like starting a thread stating that servers are down due to maintenance. you can always email me or pm to post server updates or anything like that.
I'm willing to help put time into darkly but I have limited computer literacy.

As for the thread on writing articles and shit, i only play CS:S and don't do lots of writing or reading on video games.
I could start a financial thread but 80% of the people on the forum shit on finance and are pro-communism.

But if darkly needs people to help with administrative stuff, I work at a desk and have time to help with these things.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I'm pretty sure there was a thread created a month or so ago asking for members/community to volunteer their time to help put articles/reviews up on our main page website. AFAIK, SJ, Skd, Brades, & LB are the only peeps who can change/edit/upload anything to the actual website.

I dunno how many people actually volunteered, and out of them, who actually followed through.
You're right, I would have loved to help as well but I got my Minecraft forum mod taken way for some odd reason...

DO NOT DELETE MY POST AGAIN. STOP DELETING MY POSTS AND COVERING UP PLEASE. THANK YOU.

You all need to relax.
I'm very calm and collected, its the morons on the server that I'm concerned about.

Yes, you heard it right, them, not us. If they become discouraged to wait it out, they'll just go somewhere else, making the user base dwindle.

I really do think that if our trusted members are willing to volunteer their time and help out with the other "DGN Staff" then allow it. The second it is abused, remove the privs. Easy enough.

If you do volunteer tho, don't flake out on responsibility. I give mad respect to the guys who set up the website and administrate when they can. However, if the burden is getting a bit heavy, lighten the load and open up some responsibilities to members who want to give their time.

Win Win
I'm willing to help, however...

I would be willing to help with small things like starting a thread stating that servers are down due to maintenance. you can always email me or pm to post server updates or anything like that.
I'm willing to help put time into darkly but I have limited computer literacy.

As for the thread on writing articles and shit, i only play CS:S and don't do lots of writing or reading on video games.
I could start a financial thread but 80% of the people on the forum shit on finance and are pro-communism.

But if darkly needs people to help with administrative stuff, I work at a desk and have time to help with these things.
Same here, I used to have plenty of time for this sort of stuff, which is why I applied for TD as well, its the closest one can get to the DGN staff from this point of view. I'm still willing to help out when needed.
You're right, I would have loved to help as well but I got my Minecraft forum mod taken way for some odd reason...

DO NOT DELETE MY POST AGAIN. STOP DELETING MY POSTS AND COVERING UP PLEASE. THANK YOU.
+1 I recently turned on a wraith add-on for Firefox which loggs posts and assigns them an ID number, once that number no longer appears, a screenshot is taken of the last cached version. So I'm NOT seeing things, posts ARE disappearing...cover ups are a bad response to comments you know.

Still, I perfectly understand and appreciate the time dedicated, I don't wish to step on toes but if there's anyway that they can be assisted in the daily operations, I raise my hand. ^^