restart CSGO TD pub

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
Also hearing complaints of rubber banding on TF2 servers
Sounds like a box issue rather than a single server

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
Even without considering what just happened, the Toronto server is FUBAR. I think you guys should either separate CS:GO and TF2, or just make the Chicago CS:GO server 32 players and call it Toronto Darkly. This is getting ridiculous.

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
You don't like playing on the Toronto server, play on Chicago. I am tired of explaining myself over and over again. There is NO hardware issue, the box is NOT the problem, therefore, WE CANNOT FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKEN. It's more of a Host/ISP/Routing issue. For the last time, options are, bail from Toronto, lose your "low" ping. Or suck it up and stop whining.
The Chicago server is there, USE IT.

liqvid

DARKLY Regular
:waiting:
While that post was an interesting read, I doubt it has anything to do with the current server issues.
I've noticed pretty extreme amounts of choke on the TD CS:GO server. In the tests they ran they had 0% choke.
I believe that the choke one of the issues here, but I am unsure what to do about it...

Back in the day, "choke" meant that the server wants to send you more data, but your bandwidth cap is preventing it from doing so ("rate" command in console = bandwidth cap in bits per second). Therefore, the solution was to increase your rate as a player. I assume that "choke" means now exactly what it meant in previous CS iterations, but have no hard evidence for that.

The default "rate" in CS:GO is 80000, and it seems that the max_rate set by the server is 128000. I still get high choke when using 128000 so... perhaps that value is not high enough for the number of players the server typically has online. Buh....

That, however, is just the first problem. The other problem is lag spikes that are clearly happening server-side. You know... where it gets quiet for a moment and you teleport 5 seconds into the past followed by the entire population of the server suddenly complaining about "WTF was that!" and/or "LAGGGGG". Yeah... that.

I've got no real ideas on that one... Never seen that before anywhere else. It is absolutely server-side, but I don't even know if it is game related. Might just be some other load on the server taking CPU time from CS:GO. From the client's perspective, it seems like the server just flat out stopped running for 4-7 seconds and then kicked back in like nothing happened... If the server is a rental, I'd inquire about getting moved to a different box, just to be isolated from whoever else is renting space on that machine. If the server is owned by a TD member, I'd start looking at the system and resource logs for any indication about what might be causing this. (See Post #9)

*The above is just my opinion. Don't kill me. :internet:

By the way, I'm totally up for using the Chicago server instead. I've joined it several times but it can take forever for someone to join up with me. They usually leave after a few 1 on 1 rounds too... blah.

I suppose the problem is how to get people to migrate to that server... Renaming the server would probably work although it involves a white lie and some people who just have the Toronto server on their favorites might not realize that the IP changed (unless they come to the forum or simply do search in-game). Also, there is the difference in rule set between the two servers. I like not having half the team run around with AWPs for example... What to do what to do...

shoottomaim

BANNED
rename Toronto Darkly to Darkly for a while, then switch the name to Chicago, and then shut down Toronto and move files? done.

kts

TD Admin
You don't like playing on the Toronto server, play on Chicago. I am tired of explaining myself over and over again. There is NO hardware issue, the box is NOT the problem, therefore, WE CANNOT FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKEN. It's more of a Host/ISP/Routing issue. For the last time, options are, bail from Toronto, lose your "low" ping. Or suck it up and stop whining.
The Chicago server is there, USE IT.

i love you lb <3

I personally can deal with the current amount of lag in the server, but just wanted to say that outside of the hardware accusations, I think sm, or w.e plugin for maps is causing part of the hard lag. When people nominate about 80% of the time theres a 1 second lag. When map vote is over and decided, there's also a hard lag.

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
I play from the UK and literally have no fucking clue what half of the shit you guys are complaining about is.
Came on for the first time in months out of boredom the other day, expected to be on board with all of this "omg wtf lag" shit.
There was literally one single lag spike in my whole play time, no constant "choke" or "lag" or anything else that I've seen complained about here.

If a guy from the UK with an almost 100 ping can play and not have any issues, I think you should all learn to deal with it.

shoottomaim

BANNED
I play from the UK and literally have no fucking clue what half of the shit you guys are complaining about is.
Came on for the first time in months out of boredom the other day, expected to be on board with all of this "omg wtf lag" shit.
There was literally one single lag spike in my whole play time, no constant "choke" or "lag" or anything else that I've seen complained about here.

If a guy from the UK with an almost 100 ping can play and not have any issues, I think you should all learn to deal with it.

yeah i've never gotten consistent lag on TD, only like 1 major lag spike every 10 mins :3. no biggie really.

amanshotme

TD Member
liqvid :

The only differences I can see between the Chicago and Toronto server is lower pop (20 v 32) and awps are enabled on Chicago, but I think there's a limit (2?) per team.

liqvid

DARKLY Regular
I was unaware that there is an awp limit in that server.

And to everyone who says they do not have choke on the TD server, do you say that because you keep a close eye on the net_graph and see that it is at 0% all the time or do you say that because you just haven't noticed?

On a different note, has anyone noticed that, on the TD server, you can shoot at someone, stop shooting, take cover, and then get the kill? Like... there is this delay of... maybe 1/4 - 1/2 a second sometimes? I am assuming that that behavior is a result of the choke problem, but I don't know. It only happens when the server is fairly full though.