Portable DVD Players + Ext. HDDs

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
I have started to form an idea of a cheap-ish way to watch shows/movies while on trains, in cars etc.
My idea was...to buy a portable DVD player and an external HDD, store shows/movies on the HDD and use the DVD player to watch them.

First question....is this even possible?
Now, I've seen a lot of DVD players with USB slots, but my main concern is whether or not the DVD player would be able to process the files and watch them from the HDD..
My other concern is that these ext HDDs have to draw their power from somewhere (as far as I know) so how taxing would this be on the battery of the player, how drastically would the battery life decrease with an ext HDD constantly plugged into it?

Next question....if this is possible, have any of you guys thought to do this yet/do you guys own a portable dvd player that can play stuff from an ext hdd?
I saw this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007PZPH4M/ref=pe_37411_41167201_pe_epc__1p_2_ti
"Connect your USB Memory Stick to view photos, watch films or listen to music"
Would that mean it could work for an ext hdd too?

And final question....what would be the best ext hdd to use for this idea?
Even if I cant use the hdd with a dvd player, I have still been meaning to get my hands on an ext hdd anyway..
So...
In all your experiences, which would be the best external hdd to invest in?

Now sure, I could just carry my big heavy laptop around with me on my journeys...
It's old, and it's slow, but it has a working usb port that I know can play films from ext hdds.
But I really like the idea of something smaller like a portable dvd player.

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
B - U - M - P
r - p - y - o
i - - - - - - s
n - - - - - - t
g

There has to be at least one person here who knows about Portable DVD players and External Hard Drives?
Even if we skip the DVD players...
What would be a good External Hard Drive to get my hands on?
I'm talking about affordable, stability, speed, storage space etc.
I don't want to have 1TB worth of films wiped because I knocked my HDD by accident.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
western digital externals are pretty good. I've dropped my external a few times now with no damage.

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
why dont you just buy a PSVITA and watch movies on that? That's what I do when im traveling.
~£50 on a decent Portable DVD player + ~£80ish on a decent External HDD
OR
<£150 on a PSVita

The screen would be bigger, and I can just sit the DVD player on one of those drop down table things on the train - which is where I'll be using it mostly.

Also, I could subtly hint some ideas for the HDD and DVD for christmas to my family if I was feeling cheap.
I couldn't justify wanting a PSVita :P

MetalLobster

TD Admin
It should, especially if it's formatted to FAT32, the default file system for USB drives. HDD do draw more power than USB drives though and I'm not sure if the USB ports on that DVD player will have enough power to support a ext.HDD. You would have to refer to the manual or something to find out.

As for watching movies on the go, I would rather get a tablet with expandable memory or just use my phone.

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
It should, especially if it's formatted to FAT32, the default file system for USB drives. HDD do draw more power than USB drives though and I'm not sure if the USB ports on that DVD player will have enough power to support a ext.HDD. You would have to refer to the manual or something to find out.

As for watching movies on the go, I would rather get a tablet with expandable memory or just use my phone.

Yeah, I was thinking of going into like a PC World or something and just asking there.
But I'm doubtful that they would know any more than most of our techy guys here, so I thought asking here would be better.
The power issue was my first thought, even if it could power an ext. hdd...it would probably drain out the battery quite quickly.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Tablet, fuck portable dvd/etc. Tablet. It's much more expensive, but worth it in a billion ways (battery life, memory, weight, functionality etc.). Just buy a second-hand iPad through kijiji. Save a ton of money and have the best product that suits your situation the best.

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
Do tablets allow for external hard drives to be plugged in and played from though?
That was my main idea here. Not having to transfer files all over the place, just have everything stored in one area.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Do tablets allow for external hard drives to be plugged in and played from though?
That was my main idea here. Not having to transfer files all over the place, just have everything stored in one area.
I'm sure some do, although it won't be Apple. For that, you'll be looking at something Samsung/Asus branded.

Basically, anything with a USB port. Most USB ports are standard 2.0+, meaning it will be just fine for any 2.5" external hard drive (basically, any hard-drive that's 5400RPM and slower, therefore not requiring the drive to be plugged into the wall). For drives requiring external power, they'll still work so long as they're powered by a wall-socket (obviously).

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
Something to think about, thanks BJ.
My uncle has a Samsung tablet + an ext hdd, might have to test on his.

So as far as the HDD goes, do you think something like a My Passport would be ok, or are there better out there that I could be looking at?

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Something to think about, thanks BJ.
My uncle has a Samsung tablet + an ext hdd, might have to test on his.

So as far as the HDD goes, do you think something like a My Passport would be ok, or are there better out there that I could be looking at?
Any 2.5" External will be fine. The less bundled software that the drive comes with, the better. I, personally, enjoy Seagate as they're plug 'n' play, no nonsense software included.