• Please remember to wrap not safe for work text/images in [NSFW][/NSFW] tags.
    Example: [NSFW][img]http://darklygaming.com/images/spinnysgapedass.jpg[/img][/NSFW]

Oil Spill

I would venture to say that the 'top hat' idea that BP concocted is essentially the same thing as Pyroette suggested. We now know that doesn't work.

What seals holes in the earth's crust? Magma. Too bad the oil well doesn't sit next to an erupting underwater volcano. Or in the middle of Iceland.

Everyone involved in the safety/equipment management on the rig and subsequent systems should be subject to trial, and imprisoned for a year for each week this hole remains open and the water of the ocean contaminated with oil. Last night, 'The Daily Show' made a joke about how BP has had 760 willful safety violations in the last 3-4 years while the next largest violator has had only 8. Exxon, has apparently had only 1 violation. Jail time. Nuthin' less.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
[quote1275539015=Keeripes!]
I would venture to say that the 'top hat' idea that BP concocted is essentially the same thing as Pyroette suggested. We now know that doesn't work.

What seals holes in the earth's crust? Magma. Too bad the oil well doesn't sit next to an erupting underwater volcano. Or in the middle of Iceland.

Everyone involved in the safety/equipment management on the rig and subsequent systems should be subject to trial, and imprisoned for a year for each week this hole remains open and the water of the ocean contaminated with oil. Last night, 'The Daily Show' made a joke about how BP has had 760 willful safety violations in the last 3-4 years while the next largest violator has had only 8. Exxon, has apparently had only 1 violation. Jail time. Nuthin' less.
[/quote1275539015]

Valid points... +1

Propaganda

TD Member
Well I figure I should weigh in on this one seeings how I have been in the oil industry for over 20 years.

The failure was caused by several factors:

Thermal cement job by Halliburton that went bad. Why? Who knows. But the density of the cement could have been bad or it could have just been bad cement. A thermal cement is set off by friction and heat and it will flash. They say it washed out causing a gas kick.

Substandard blowout preventer. Americans are not required to follow the same standards as Canada or the UK for offshore BOP's. A BOP is comprised of not one, but several failsafes. First you have a pipe ram which closes in around the pipe if there is pipe in the well. Failure 1.

Then you have the blind ram which will close no matter what. Failure 2.

Then you have a shear ram, which is like the holy fuck button, it will cut the pipe off and shut the well in. Failure 3.

When the rig sank it broke off the casing from the well and basically twisted the and pipe. For the record it's not impossible to stab an overshot pipe onto a stick up, the overshot has a set of slips, when it's lowered over the pipe and then pulled up, the slips lock on and seal the well. Because it's such a clusterfuck down there, it's a lost cause trying that.

The kill method is a great method for killing a well, basically you hammer the well with a heavyweight blended barite based mud, and pump the shit out of it until the well dies. Once again because it's such a clusterfuck down there they pumped it so hard that they further split the casing, although BP's not saying anything, I can guarantee you that's what happened.

Despitte all the lies and bullshit you hear, and all the feeble attempts they are making, please don't kid yourselves, none of what they are doing is going to help much, it's just being done to appease the people who know fuck all about what's really happening, basically anyone in the world who has never worked on an oil rig or know anything about oil wells.

The only actual sollution is to drill a relief well not only into the same formation but to intersect the spewing well, and I know some of you might be thinking "bullshit there's no way they can be that accurate", but they can hit that well within mm without a problem, and then they can cement off the bad well. The problem with that is it will take a minimum of 3 months to do that.

This is going to be the largest man made polluting disaster the world has ever seen.

Propaganda

TD Member
[quote1275544879=Keeripes!]
What seals holes in the earth's crust? Magma.
[/quote1275544879]

No J-55 casing and 1800 kg/m3 cement.

Pyroette

TD Admin
you want to make some money? invest in solar power and "green" companies right now. No one is going to want to touch oil with a 10ft poll

skd_mrk

TD Admin
[quote1275569136=Pyroette]
you want to make some money? invest in solar power and "green" companies right now. No one is going to want to touch oil with a 10ft poll
[/quote1275569136]

Nah. Frankly looking at post of their forward p/e ratios, projects in the pipelines, and the scarcity of financing I wouldn't consider "green" companies good of an investment. You'd probably be better off playing the lotto than picking the right alternative energy company. Investing in a company without a proved product or sustainable earnings is always a gamble.

You also need sources of fuels to power automobiles and let's not kid ourselves that's going to be oil based products for the next decade plus. I don't love that this is the case, but there's not really many alternatives. I don't think we're going to be seeing many electric cars anytime soon. They're far too costly and the supply of batteries is pretty hard to come by.

Natural gas? Drilling in the shale deposits has just started and they're apparently doing a pretty good job fouling up the water table in the areas they drill in.

Ethanol? Until they develop a version that isn't based on food its a horrible idea. I can't believe the government in subsidizing corn based ethanol. It takes just as much energy to create the ethanol as you get from burning it (energy that is created by coal fired plants). Sugarcane based ethanol is actually a pretty good return, but there isn't a great deal of land in the US and none in Canada suitable for growing enough cane.

...and don't forget about the developing countries (India, China) are adding hundreds of thousands of cars to their roads every year. Most are smaller (and consequentially more fuel efficient) than the average vehicle in NA, but aren't going to be going electric anytime soon due to their cost. Their power grids can barely handle (and frequently don't) demand as is, which makes it even more unlikely. Lastly most developing nations subsidize oil-based fuels and little or no "green" fuels.

Oil for the next 10+ years...

Propaganda

TD Member
[quote1275576205=skd_mrk]
[quote1275569136=Pyroette]
[/quote1275569136]

Nah. Frankly looking at post of their forward p/e ratios, projects in the pipelines, and the scarcity of financing I wouldn't consider "green" companies good of an investment. You'd probably be better off playing the lotto than picking the right alternative energy company. Investing in a company without a proved product or sustainable earnings is always a gamble.

You also need sources of fuels to power automobiles and let's not kid ourselves that's going to be oil based products for the next decade plus. I don't love that this is the case, but there's not really many alternatives. I don't think we're going to be seeing many electric cars anytime soon. They're far too costly and the supply of batteries is pretty hard to come by.

Natural gas? Drilling in the shale deposits has just started and they're apparently doing a pretty good job fouling up the water table in the areas they drill in.

Ethanol? Until they develop a version that isn't based on food its a horrible idea. I can't believe the government in subsidizing corn based ethanol. It takes just as much energy to create the ethanol as you get from burning it (energy that is created by coal fired plants). Sugarcane based ethanol is actually a pretty good return, but there isn't a great deal of land in the US and none in Canada suitable for growing enough cane.

...and don't forget about the developing countries (India, China) are adding hundreds of thousands of cars to their roads every year. Most are smaller (and consequentially more fuel efficient) than the average vehicle in NA, but aren't going to be going electric anytime soon due to their cost. Their power grids can barely handle (and frequently don't) demand as is, which makes it even more unlikely. Lastly most developing nations subsidize oil-based fuels and little or no "green" fuels.

Oil for the next 10+ years...
[/quote1275576205]

For the next 30+ actually. And at the end of the day nothing will change, Americans need to drive their SUV's.

dead mike

TD Member, Legend, Puncher of Faces, Chatbox King
Hey Prop how's the sweet crude looking over in Alberta, I used to live over by Drayton Valley on Pembina oil field, I kept hearing the oil is almost gone, like the crude that comes out now is pretty much see through looking like honey...

Nice country but from what I saw the oil industry pretty much destroyed Alberta with pump jacks and rig pigs everywhere lol. Also heard china tried to buy the whole field and got shut down for security reasons.

skd_mrk

TD Admin
[quote1275584335=Propaganda]
For the next 30+ actually. And at the end of the day nothing will change, Americans need to drive their SUV's.
[/quote1275584335]

I was trying to be optimistic...and I hate people that drive Hummers/Land Rovers/Escalades. Can't see crap in my 6 with those bastards on the road.

America's biggest problem imho when it comes to driving is urban sprawl makes mass transportation so worthless in most of the country.

buckshot

TD Member
put some vinegar in the water, let that all seperate, then dip bread in the water. After this, add two pinches of salt, parsley, onions and very little garlic and voila! Feed a bunch of africans and clean up the water.

I win

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
[quote1275590029=Propaganda]

[/quote1275590029]

Don't you drive a Mustang?

Propaganda

TD Member
[quote1275593183=Steve]
[quote1275590029=Propaganda]

[/quote1275590029]

Don't you drive a Mustang?
[/quote1275593183]

No I have an F350 diesel that get's 14 mpg. We make the fuel in my backyard here, I have to get around for work, Alberta's a big place that keeps the rest of Canada from starving. I am not idling to the fucking mall or driving around the "hood" for no good reason other than to show off my 20" chrome wheels with spinners.

B.From.Acc

TD Admin
[quote1275597289=BIOP]
... the pipes have to be expertly made and welded by a talented welder, which is not possible underwater.
[/quote1275597289]
of course it is silly.

iCe

TD Admin
waaaaaaaa waaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaa.... thats all i see... oil will be used forever, and besides prop and 10 other ppl that use diesel and ppl im saying not businesses, OIL WILL ALWAYS BE USED... this is no disaster so some fish die... OMG!!!!!! so no sushi for the vegatarians...eat a burger and STFU

BIOP

TD Admin / Rocker of City-Hair
[quote1275603292=iCe]
waaaaaaaa waaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaa.... thats all i see... oil will be used forever, and besides prop and 10 other ppl that use diesel and ppl im saying not businesses, OIL WILL ALWAYS BE USED... this is no disaster so some fish die... OMG!!!!!! so no sushi for the vegatarians...eat a burger and STFU
[/quote1275603292]

If you are saying this is no disaster, you are a fool. It is the biggest disaster of our time. BP fucked up.